Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool matches you have attended

• 01-08-2009 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭

Most memorial match I have attended was between Argentina and Germany in the quarter finals of the WC in 2006. I was lucky to win two tickets to it so, I brought the oul fella with me!

I was right behind the goal for the penalites, you could hear the ball being crushed. Also the passion of the few Argies there was surreal.

So has anyone else been to any cool or memorial matches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bohs 4 - 6 Shels in Dalyer.

Easily the best game I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

celtic v juventus 2001 in the champions league 4-3 to celtic.i met the teams after words.nothing will ever come close to that. i will never forget it what a match?

in my opinion the best celtic team ever.and if you watch the goals in that match prob the best selection of goals in one match you could hope for.

Not that many people can say they met the god that is henrick larrson and del piero all the one night. not to mention david Trezeguet!
    such a memoral day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Manchester United v Barcelona - Second leg of the 2008 Champions Leg Semi Final,

lifelong supporter, 1st time to a United game, pitchside tickets to the right of the goal that Scholes scored into. Fantastic atmosphere, fantastic match!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Liverpool 8 - 0 Besiktas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ireland 1 Holland 0
    Greatest atmosphere ever:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Shelbourne -v- Deportivo match was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

zeusnero wrote: »
    Manchester United v Barcelona - Second leg of the 2008 Champions Leg Semi Final,

Same here, was something special that night. I was in the Stretty. Had bruises on my shins for a week after the game from jumping and kicking the seat in front when Scholes scored. :D

Other memorable ones I've been to are:

CL Semi-Final 1st leg vs Arsenal last season. When JOS scored he came over right to where we were. Legend.

SAF's 1000th United game vs Lyon in the CL group stage in 2004(?). My first United game, I witnessed, among other things, Gary Neville scoring, which he hasn't done since :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bohs 4 - 6 Shels in Dalyer.

Easily the best game I've ever been to.

I think it was you I pulled you up over this before. It wasn't a good game, with next to zero drama for a game with that scoreline. I've been at more memorable 1-0s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

sporting fingals 3 all draw with pats last year in the cup. Great game that had everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Liverpool-Norwich April 94, last day of the standing Kop.

Memorable for everythng except the football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I saw Fc Köln get relegated in 2006, that was fun.

Ghana - Czech Republic in 2006 World Cup. Ghana won 2-0, great atmosphere and we were in the second row in the corner were the Ghana players ended up celebrating with their fans at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Man United - Man City.. The 50th anniversary of Munich, bad game, bad scoreline but was nice to be there for the anniversary.

Shamrock Rovers - Real Madrid.. Not an important match but a nice occasion all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Roma 5-1 Lazio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Nice one Bubs!

Umm, I was at that abandoned Ireland Vs England game way back in 1995 I think it was. That was pretty cool because we went one-up over the English. I remember seeing Shearer playing that day.

Another game was at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro between Fluminense and Paysandu. Fantastic atmosphere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Newcastle 1 Hull City 2 - Mass demonstration against Ashley, first game after Keegan got sacked, famous cockney mafia out banner etc, great game to bring the GF too, never wants to go again, oh shucks....

Shelbourne 0-0 Deportivo Great result for Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I went to see Bohs V Spurs years ago when I religiously went to Dalymount. It was a 1-1 as far as I remember. Gary Doherty scored :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The one and only game I attended at Anfield - 3-1 win against Leeds.

- Kewell's first game against them
    - Owen was returning from injury
    - Racism mosaic on the Kop
    - FSP came on and scored :D
    - Murphy - a hero of mine back then - scored, as did Owen.

M5 wrote: »
    Newcastle 1 Hull City 2

/snigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Inter v Milan in San Siro 23/12/07, there was a silent protest in the curva nord that day but when I went in they were louder than ever, then the match started and everyone just went silent. The only time anyone made a sound was for the goals and at half time, it was very strange to be there that day because they are usually so loud. Inter won 2-1 after going 1-0 down to a Pirlo free kick, Cruz scored and then in the second half Dida made a mistake from a Cambiasso shot and it went in.

Vasco v Flamengo in Maracana 26/10/06, the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing for a Rio derby and the place was absolutely packed, Vasco won 3-1 but it was the atmosphere that mad it so memorable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Man United 1-0 Wolves. Horrible game, place was pretty dead most of the match, but from now on I can say I was there to see the legendary John O'Shea score his first goal for Manchester United :)

On a seperate note, our 2-1 win over Albania in the Euro 2004 qualifiers. It was 1-1 going into the 93rd minute when they scored an own goal to give us the win, the relief around the stadium when that goal went in was something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

last game at lansdowne, ireland v san marino!
    only soccer game ive been at!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

creggy wrote: »
    I went to see Bohs V Spurs years ago when I religiously went to Dalymount. It was a 1-1 as far as I remember. Gary Doherty scored :D
    Cough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Definitely the Ireland Holland game.... Probably the best feeling ever when Jayo scored. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Barcelona - Valladolid in 2000 at the Nou Camp, the game where Rivaldo chested the ball up and bicycled it from the edge of the box, Litmanen got a screamer as well wrongly disallowed.

My first ever Liverpool game, in 1995, Spurs at Anfield terrible 0-0 draw, only memorable for David James knocking some guy out with a misplaced shot when warming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

SectionF wrote: »

Was about to say that ,was at that too.
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Barcelona - Valladolid in 2000 at the Nou Camp, the game where Rivaldo chested the ball up and bicycled it from the edge of the box, Litmanen got a screamer as well wrongly disallowed.

Barca Valenica????

Most memorable game I've attended was probably the Spurs 3-5 Man United game at the Lane, them being three nil up at half time but us roaring back into, even Laurent Blanc scored that day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ireland 1-1 Cyprus. Stan's last game as manager. I'll tell the grandkids about that one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

My first ever match was Ireland v Argentina in 1998. I still have the programme. It wasn't a particularly memorable match but I did meet Gabriel Batistuta afterwards.

The next two are bad memories.

I was at the German Cup Final two years ago to see Stuttgart lose to Nuremberg.

Shels v Limerick on the last day of last season, need I say more.

Man United v Roma - the 7 -1 match a few years ago. Was a mad atmosphere because I was surrounded by Roma supporters and there had been violence earlier that night.

Another memorable one was last year when I went to see Ferencvaros play MTK Budapest. I was passing by and just thought I'd go in on my own. It was a good match and great atmosphere, even if I don't speak a word of Hungarian.

Oh and of course I waved the Fifa fair play flag at Lansdowne for Ireland v San Marino :P (the last competetive International football match to be played in Lansdowne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Waterford United 7-2 Kilkenny City - FAI Cup last 16. Daryl Murphy scored 4, Willie Bruton got a hat-trick..we were actually 2-1 down at one point. Some game. We got to final that year, but I won't say anymore...:(

This season..
    Chelsea 4-3 Bolton. Mental game. Chelsea went 4 up. Shouts of 'we want 10!'. Then Bolton get 3 back in the space of 8mins. Probably should've equalized too in injury time - They had an effort cleared off the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I was at Ghana Nigeria in the African cup of Nations a few years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhNs4Kqu3g
    Massive rivals, the fans are nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shelbourne 2-2 Lille

Great match in Lansdowne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Rovers v. Bohs at Tallaght, the Twigg double in the 87th & 88th minute, unbelievable atmosphere. Those who were there don't need me to remind them of how awesome it was.

Rovers away to Pats last season, 1-1 draw but when Amond equalized there was about 1,500 Hoops fans squeezed into the temp stand in Richmond. Me and my two mates were squeezed into the space of one chair. Fookin' class atmosphere :)

My first ever match was Ireland at home to Croatia in 1998. Irwin and Keane scored in a 2-0 victory over the team that had come third in the World Cup and we plated them off the park. Momentous occasion for me.

I also had the misfortune of seeing the Clattenberg show at Goodison there a couple of seasons back in the Merseyside Derby, I'll say no more on that matter.

dor83 wrote: »
    Inter v Milan in San Siro 23/12/07, there was a silent protest in the curva nord that day but when I went in they were louder than ever, then the match started and everyone just went silent. The only time anyone made a sound was for the goals and at half time, it was very strange to be there that day because they are usually so loud. Inter won 2-1 after going 1-0 down to a Pirlo free kick, Cruz scored and then in the second half Dida made a mistake from a Cambiasso shot and it went in.

Vasco v Flamengo in Maracana 26/10/06, the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing for a Rio derby and the place was absolutely packed, Vasco won 3-1 but it was the atmosphere that mad it so memorable for me.

Are you Danny Dyer by any chance?:P

Are you Danny Dyer by any chance?:P
    lol, I used to be a season ticket holder for Inter until I went to NZ(the only country I've been to that I didn't go to a football match, bloody egg chasing nation has no proper football) so have been there a lot. Vasco v Flamengo was just pure luck that it was on my last night in Rio and I couldn't pass up the chance.

I forgot to mention Italy v France 08/09/07, it was an awful game that ended 0-0 but I remember it because of the atmosphere around the game, the Italians really hate the French, and the Pavarotti tribute before the game which was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

My first ever match :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

United vs Barcelona Champions League semi final.
    I dont actually remember too much about the game :( The one real stand out moment was obviously Scholes' goal. After that then Messi got the ball in midfield and Scholes went to close him down, I remember a blur of movement from Messi and Scholes standing there clutching at straws. Great atmosphere that night. The Believe banner and just the reaction of the crowd when Scholes' scored and the end whistle.

United vs Villa season just gone. 3-2. The day United won the league in my opinion.
    We were in the east stand behind the goals. And had a great view of all the goals. Especially Kiko's winner. I remember him coming on and saying to my brother ( a scouser) and my nephew, watch out for this guy, he's going to be a cracker of a player. 15 minutes later, the rest is history as they say.

Was also at Stauntons last game in charge, dam Steve Finnan, keeping him in a job for a few extra days :D

dor83 wrote: »
    lol, I used to be a season ticket holder for Inter until I went to NZ(the only country I've been to that I didn't go to a football match, bloody egg chasing nation has no proper football) so have been there a lot. Vasco v Flamengo was just pure luck that it was on my last night in Rio and I couldn't pass up the chance.

I forgot to mention Italy v France 08/09/07, it was an awful game that ended 0-0 but I remember it because of the atmosphere around the game, the Italians really hate the French, and the Pavarotti tribute before the game which was amazing.

Is an Inter season ticket expensive?

• Advertisement

Is an Inter season ticket expensive?
    No, they are very cheap in fact, I always go with second tier green(Curva Nord, where all the Ultras are and has the best atmosphere) and it costs €200. The cheapest you can get is third tier green and it's €145 and this year it also includes the first two Coppa Italia games, so thats all 19 home league games and first 2 home cup games for as little as €145. Thats a bargain if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

My first United game. Got present of a ticket for my birthday so trotted over to Old Trafford to watch what was surely a goalfest for United against Derby (circa 97?).

United lose the game at home 3-2 with Paolo Wanchope scoring "that" goal against us.

Plus points: Reception that McGrath was given and first time to see Keane and Cantona (and only for him) play....

The atmosphere was just so surreal that day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

1990 FAI CUP Final John Ryan's goal for Bray Wanderers v St Francis, when the ball went in it was like nothing I've ever seen, the place went crazy. Still one of the best goals I've ever seen.

What a day that was.

Liverpool V Darby in the kop, Liverpool score 6 goals and im in the front of the kop.

Liverpool V Arsenal Last min win for pool by a goal from Neil Mellor, the best game ever attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ireland 1 Holland 0
    Greatest atmosphere ever:D
    Me too. It was a bit special alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Most memorable game i've been to was the first time i went to Old Trafford with my Da.
    1987 playing against Liverpool.
    Sitting behind the goal on the Stretford End with Gary Bailey in goal and Paul McGrath in defence. great stuff
    oh ye, and utd won 1-0 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

SectionF wrote: »

Where was I for that match?...I could have sworn it was a draw..:o

Advertisement