Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap PC for Internet cafe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

could you not use the ram from the broken computers in the ones that are working? Anything over the 256mb that they have now would give a really big speed increase in xp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Effluo wrote: »
    could you not use the ram from the broken computers in the ones that are working? Anything over the 256mb that they have now would give a really big speed increase in xp

I did already. These computers have two memory slots. The biggest ram I found here is 256mb. Even with 512mb ram i already notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Canonfan wrote: »
    Hi guys, another question:
    What's the best way to get rid of 5 x broken computers, 6 x broken LCDs, lots of kepboards plus mouse and about 10 used printer toner cartridge/Drum Unit.

Can someone recommend a company, please?
    You could post them on adverts.ie in the Free Stuff section. You might not get rid of them all, straight away, but there are often people looking for PCs for parts.

Urgent help needed!!!!!!

I was doing the system throught the night but can't get the printer working. I spent the last 5 hours on it with no luck.

It's Panasonic DP-C262

Panasonic_Copier_DPC262.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Personally, I would do it right from the start. People expect a little more from a city centre net cafe. This isnt Thailand and it isnt 2002, and customers will not be searching with AltaVista! Dump all those GX280s, and pay for a technician to setup low maintenance modern PCs. Anything else will frustrate you and your customers. You will save a few quid on your ESB bill as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

JDxtra wrote: »
    Personally, I would do it right from the start. People expect a little more from a city centre net cafe. This isnt Thailand and it isnt 2002, and customers will not be searching with AltaVista! Dump all those GX280s, and pay for a technician to setup low maintenance modern PCs. Anything else will frustrate you and your customers. You will save a few quid on your ESB bill as well.

As a marketing graduate and Four Seasons Hotel employee for 8.5 years, I know exactly what is customer service.

But when you start your first business you don't have much of a choice. I got these computers and tables as a package. I need to make some money back first.

Last night one of my friend offered free service of reinstalling all the PCs and set up a new server for me. BUT he did one biy f**ked up job. Now every PC has virus, printer not working anymore(we tried all the drivers). We worked throught the night but all for nothing, today I had to give Internet for free to everyone.

Now I really need someone with excellent knowledge to sort me out. I have until tomorrow 10am to get back on track.

So guys if you can do a good job please pm me your quote.

There are 18 computers, one server and one printer.

Not a good start.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Keep "helpful" friend away , you should have no problem getting it to a usable state again yourself.

Download this and run it on each pc :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/keyfinder/files/keyfinder/Keyfinder%202.0.1/keyfinder.2.0.1.zip/download

It will display the licence number on each PC .

Write the numbers down carefully.

Write down the licence numbers for Office and the webcafe management software etc or you will be stranded later on

Get a Windows XP disc and do a fresh install on just 1 pc.

If the display etc needs drivers , ONLY go to the Dell site for them
    ( this is probably where your friend made the mistake of going to some daft windows driver website and infected everything )

Reinstall Office , the webcafe management software etc.

When its working happily , you can take an "image" of it and put it on the other identical PCs - this will save hours and hours.

Keep posting if you're stuck

bushy... wrote: »
    Keep "helpful" friend away , you should have no problem getting it to a usable state again yourself.

Download this and run it on each pc :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/keyfinder/files/keyfinder/Keyfinder%202.0.1/keyfinder.2.0.1.zip/download

It will display the licence number on each PC .

Write the numbers down carefully.

Write down the licence numbers for Office and the webcafe management software etc or you will be stranded later on

Get a Windows XP disc and do a fresh install on just 1 pc.

If the display etc needs drivers , ONLY go to the Dell site for them
    ( this is probably where your friend made the mistake of going to some daft windows driver website and infected everything )

Reinstall Office , the webcafe management software etc.

When its working happily , you can take an "image" of it and put it on the other identical PCs - this will save hours and hours.

Keep posting if you're stuck

Thanks. But I haven't slept for almost 38 hours. If someone is willing to work overnight just drop me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Sorry for the bearer of bad news but the Dell computers you have are gx280's these have very bad motherboards capacitors so you might look into this more. Maybe look at getting some motherboards for spare and some capacitors. I work in the IT department of a large company who have 500 computers about 420 these gx280's a lot of these have failed on capacitors and also bad hard drives so you should get a few of these too and another thing they should have a sata connection for cd/dvd or hard drive it is has a cap over it to hide it away. So you might be able to upgrade the hard drives to sata for better connection.

These computers have had a warranty for the motherboard replacement this warranty expired over a year ago at least from what i can remember but even with the new motherboard that were swapped in there was still capacitor issues.

Hope this helps. Sorry again for the bad news.

If you need any more info on these give me a shout.

• Advertisement

One fellow boardie agreed to save the day, thanks for all your support guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good luck with it.

I do have to ask, what made you take this on? :)

I'd suggest some light reading, this book will go through a good bit of what you'll need to know and after that it will be just getting stuck in to whatever happens from day to day with the PCs.

Advertisement