Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool. Score one for Irish hospitality.

• 01-08-2009 10:39am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If anyone knows the chap or lass in question, please buy them a beer for me.

Apparently, about two weeks back, a Sean and Amelia O'Neil had just gotten married and were having their traditional shindig in the Clare Inn. Also in the hotel were 300 US soldiers, who were staying overnight after their aircraft had been grounded during a stop-over. So the happy couple invited the Americans to join the wedding party.

Why the hell doesn't that sort of thing happen to me? I ended up with two hours in Leipzig with no invitation to anything more than a bench, let alone stopping at Shannon for a party.

You just know there are whole bunch of Americans with good things to say about Ireland after that one. I wonder how many of them will try to make it back for a proper holiday?

NTM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I don't know if they were actually invited in. I heard they gatecrashed it, management asked them to leave the reception hall but the bride and groom said it was ok ad allowed them to stay. Could be worse OP, I was stranded in JFK and wasn't even offered a bench! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i read in some paper that they had been accused of gatecrashing by some of the guests but that the bride/groom one of them anyway had actually invited them in. either way, i wonder how many drunken rants about american imperialism they had to sit through as compensation. I suppose they were probably too drunk to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

i read in some paper that they had been accused of gatecrashing by some of the guests but that the bride/groom one of them anyway had actually invited them in. either way, i wonder how many drunken rants about american imperialism they had to sit through as compensation. I suppose they were probably too drunk to care.

man imagine how sick you'd be, single lad at a wedding, scopin' out the bridesmaids over dinner, the hot relatives and friends of friends, waitin' for the dancin' and shots to start to start making the move on some girlies then BAM! 300 american lads built out of teak and iron enter the room. game.over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And these things count to a soldier.

I travelled through Beirut airport in uniform, and because of it I was upgraded to business class return (KLM) from Beirut to Amsterdam.

Its nice that some people appricate what soldiering mean's and aren't afraid to show it.

And MM, I hope your lads have a safe and successful tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I heard that one or two of their CO's stood at the entrance, only letting 7 - 10 of themin at a time and only for 15 minutes each...300 of them didn't rush the party all at once :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

Teferi wrote: »
    I heard that one or two of their CO's stood at the entrance, only letting 7 - 10 of themin at a time and only for 15 minutes each...300 of them didn't rush the party all at once :)

say you'd be freaked if you were the last ones in...only bowlers and Aunties left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Good thing it wasn't a traveller wedding, or they would have found out what a real warzone looked like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Teferi wrote: »

And they weren't allowed any booze either IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

We need more US troops flying through Shannon.

It's obviously good for the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If anyone knows the chap or lass in question, please buy them a beer for me.

Apparently, about two weeks back, a Sean and Amelia O'Neil had just gotten married and were having their traditional shindig in the Clare Inn. Also in the hotel were 300 US soldiers, who were staying overnight after their aircraft had been grounded during a stop-over. So the happy couple invited the Americans to join the wedding party.

Why the hell doesn't that sort of thing happen to me? I ended up with two hours in Leipzig with no invitation to anything more than a bench, let alone stopping at Shannon for a party.

You just know there are whole bunch of Americans with good things to say about Ireland after that one. I wonder how many of them will try to make it back for a proper holiday?

NTM
    Pesky Germans. :P

That's good to hear though, good idea of the Irish couple for abit of excitement anyway. If any trouble broke out they'd be in luck...
    If you're heading out, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We need more US troops flying through Shannon.

It's obviously good for the economy.
    Dont they only shop the Duty Free :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

300 brain-dead child murderers-exactly what every wedding party needs.

latenia wrote: »

Do you want fish with that chip?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

latenia wrote: »

Seeing as it's presided over by a Brain Dead Child Molestor i say why not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The best man was a paedo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

latenia and itsallabouttheL, Do not post in this thread again.
    If you do not have anything decent to contribute to a thread don't post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Nevermind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

What does NTM stand for? Google says "not that much" but that doesn't make sense... I'm so confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

What does NTM stand for? Google says "not that much" but that doesn't make sense... I'm so confused!

It's the initials of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

What would you consider decent???

I was replying to an earlier post.

And this thread has been done already in a number of forums

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sorry, I tried a search before posting, maybe I hit the wrong keywords. Plus I scanned military, politics and aviation.

NTM

latenia and itsallaboutheL, Do not post in this thread again.
    What would you consider decent???

I was replying to an earlier post.

Banned.

Sorry, I tried a search before posting, maybe I hit the wrong keywords. Plus I scanned military, politics and aviation.

NTM

You're fine MM.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I like this one. Where did you find her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

one thing i will always tell people in england, is holiday in ireland you will never find a nicer people, than the irish, i have been coming over to south wicklow for the last six years, and we have made so many irish friends.as soon as i walk around gorrey/shillelagh/carlow people will come over to greet us and make us both welcome,

getz wrote: »
    one thing i will always tell people in england, is holiday in ireland you will never find a nicer people, than the irish, i have been coming over to south wicklow for the last six years, and we have made so many irish friends.as soon as i walk around gorrey/shillelagh/carlow people will come over to greet us and make us both welcome,

Would that be in the vicinity of an ATM by any chance?:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Would that be in the vicinity of an ATM by any chance?:pac:
    i am a old bugger whats a ATM

A magic hole in a wall where cash is spewed out after the insertion of a plastic card (or a JCB if you've left your card at home).

Automated Teller Machine, or a cash dispenser outside the bank.:pac:

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    If you're heading out, good luck!

Already here, mate.
    And MM, I hope your lads have a safe and successful tour.

So far, so good. A month on the ground, and we've lost nothing more serious than a foot. (Not mine)

NTM

could be but i am always over for the full month of feb, i am not easy to miss there will be a lot of people around me as i have a large english [buly] with me,in gorey i have my breakfast outside joannes ?in shillelagh i go in the parkview house pub every night,in carlow i am always outside pennies [wife loves shopping,] or outside tesco shopping centre,the same as in kilkenny walking around or in the shopping centre outside pennies again,all the time with the bulldog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I was at the wedding and it certainly was something different. Only about 30-40 actually came in to the wedding. Many more were up in bed and in the lobby.

Those that did come in were well behaved and sober - not allowed to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Already here, mate.

So far, so good. A month on the ground, and we've lost nothing more serious than a foot. (Not mine)

NTM

:eek::eek::eek: That's still pretty serious though. Is that the end of their military career or could they come back with a prosthesis?

Be careful out there.

The Army has not discharged any amputees against their will since the Iraq war started.

Sometimes they need to or choose to change jobs, but in this case, he should be able to remain in the infantry should he so desire. (The general rule is he must at least retain his knee) The standard Army solution to anything is to throw either money or high explosives at a problem, and $70,000 nerve-impulse-controlled prostethic lower legs do wonders for retaining mobility. (We can rebuild him. We have the technology). However, his other foot was fairly badly damaged as well (but saved), his ability to remain in the infantry will depend on his ability to perform standard infantry duties.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You're fine MM.:)
    Get a room

• Advertisement

And a life.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I have my own story, yay!

Myself and the ladyfriend were in a random pub in town, very quiet. Just us, the barman and his mate having a chat one random night. Then an American guy came in. Tourist, just off duty from Afghanistan who decided to take a holiday in Dublin for a while.

Well we got chatting, he was a nice guy and showed him around Dublin afterwards. He was so impressed he's coming back in October and sent us t-shirts from his bar.

Maybe the recession will have us be more traditionally hospitable and get more Americans back over to spend their dollaroonies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Cool story, bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A magic hole in a wall where cash is spewed out after the insertion of a plastic card (or a JCB if you've left your card at home).

They take JCB in Ireland now :confused:

netwhizkid wrote: »
    They take JCB in Ireland now :confused:

Yep, the interest-free one, where terms and conditions don't apply.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yep, the interest-free one, where terms and conditions don't apply.:p
    Not quite true regarding terms and conditions.
    You need a driving licence and a FAS safe pass to drive the JCB,:pac:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Not quite true regarding terms and conditions.
    You need a driving licence and a FAS safe pass to drive the JCB,:pac:

I bet the pigs are sifting through the Safe Pass records at this very moment, picking out names such as Chainsaw McDonagh and Dodgy McGinty. Arrests will be imminent.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I just wanna know did any of the Soldiers get a leg over with a local girl or a wedding guest? 300 of them, I doubt they all failed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭redorblack

Im glad those lads were made feel welcome like that. Why could they not have a few beers at it before they went to that dump? The commanding officer could have let them have a few at least.
    They say every cloud has a silver lining, well I think this recession might take us back a bit to the time where people looked after each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I can't believe no one's asked the most important question yet - were they in uniform?! :D

blondie83 wrote: »
    I can't believe no one's asked the most important question yet - were they in uniform?! :D

On and off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

blondie83 wrote: »

Picture that was in the Independent

Link

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I just wanna know did any of the Soldiers get a leg over with a local girl or a wedding guest? 300 of them, I doubt they all failed!!!!
    Not all failed...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great to see this, met many people from the united states army while living in the States, some great parties and i have 3 good friends that are in the army.
    You will never find a greater bunch of people, they put themselves at huge risks for freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

On and off.

I strongly approve :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement