Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aligning to 19e

• 01-08-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the vague details, but I just wanted to run something quickly by and see if I'm on the correct track. I will bew digging around a little more later this AM but just wanted to see what the word was here first.

I have a dish pointing at 28e (at least I think it is - it's for a Sky subscription) and I want to point another one at 19e. I know that long term I should probably go with a motorised dish or two LNBs at different angles (I think :o ) but I just want to check something out first.

My question is, if I want to base the alignment for 19e off the existing dish, I need to point the new dish a little more to the left than the current one . . . does that sound right ?

Again, I know this is terribly non-technical and I will go off and dig up more details later this AM but if someone can tell me that's all I need to do then it shortcuts some work. If I do need to do more than this then that's also fine . . .

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Standing behind your existing sky dish you would need to move the other dish to its right slightly.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Standing behind your existing sky dish you would need to move the other dish to its right slightly.
    Yup, plus you'd need to rise the elevation slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for the info. I got it patrially aligned this evening and will give it a bit of a lash tomorrow again and see if I can improve.

I've got HSE24 & Sonnenklar crystal clear on screen, so I'm pretty sure I'm mostly on target, but most of the other channels are breaking up a fair bit. the German ones in particular are reasonable and recongnisable, but the French ones are pretty broken up.

I was particularly going for RTL but it's not showing up at all, even when I get the receiver to scan the particular transponder it's on. Is this just down to my poor alignment or is it likely to be something else ?

Why would some channels like HSE24 be bang on and others like RTL not there at all ?

Thanks for any suggestions,

z

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You're pretty close so. Some transponders can be stronger than others.

Either that or your LNB maybe isn't getting switched? Perhaps a fault with receiver or LNB.

However, I'd focus on making sure alignment is right first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Apogee

zagmund wrote: »
    I was particularly going for RTL but it's not showing up at all, even when I get the receiver to scan the particular transponder it's on. Is this just down to my poor alignment or is it likely to be something else ?

You should also check the existing channel list and delete RTL before rescanning. Some receivers won't scan in new channel parameters if the old version remains in the receiver database.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will give it another go tonight - I spent most of the weekend getting the cabling sorted for my re-located Sky boxes so I didn't get a chance to move the other dish around.

z

Kaching. It seems my my skew was a bit out. Well, a lot out. I had a look at it this evening and thought to myself that no matter what it just looked too skewed. I brought it back to something a little more normal looking, went downstairs, pushed the search button and all the channels came in, including RTL. Mini-me-1 and Mini-me-2 will be well impressed. For some reason they love watching cartoons in German. We don't speak German or anything, go figure . . .

Some of the channels aren't quite spot on, but I reckon going from almost nil to pretty much all the channels I wanted with one twist of the LNB was good going. I'll give it another lash some time durng the week when I have a few more minutes.

Thanks for the help,

z

Advertisement