Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricks played on apprentices?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Many years ago I was working in a TV/Hifi shop while preparing for college. The shop also had a workshop for repairs.
    The engineer there did a nice one on me one day.
    He was up on stepladder fixing something that was attached to the ceiling - I guess a light or so, can't remember. So he says to me while being fully stretched out holding the bits he was supposedly fixing if I could grab the screwdriver from the pocket of his work coat and hand it to him.
    So I say no prob and put my hand into his pocket and - wham - he had a fully loaded capacitor the size of a fkn torch in there.

Only then I realized the whole shop was in on it and they were all watching and laughing their arses off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Best one I heard:

A nurse was on night duty at Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town. There was a patient with a heart condition, and she was keeping an eye on him.

Another patient came in in the early hours of the morning, 'found' a stethoscope, and listened to the pateints heart. The nurse walked in, saw this and thought it was one of the patients from the 'mentally chalenged' ward, who had got out and was walking around the hospital. So, she goes up to the guy and aks him if he can hear the heart beating - she said 'it goes doef-doef, doef-doef'.

The next morning she told everyone about this mad patient who had walked in in the night and listened to her patients heart.

Two days later when the doctors came on rounds, Dr. Christian Bernard was with them, and that is when the nurse realized that it was him who had been listening to the heart patients heart. Dr. Bernard was in Tugerberg Hospital for a routine procedure, and as he could not sleep, he decided to check on one or two of his patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Sent a newbie for steam cubes. A newbie in the hairdressers was sent from Grafton Street to Stephens Green branch with a bag of steam (cig smoke)

Love the ice cube machine stock take :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Got a lad to get a foot pump for the bubble in a level. He was sent round the site for about ten minuites from one person to another until someone told him the truth. Another was to send a new apprentice to get the triangle of impedance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Or the apprentice mechanic who was asked to gease the rubber on those squeaky wiper blades, and did!

In one place I worked all the safety glasses had dark blue frames. Guys would smear on a thin layer of dark blue ink around the inside edge of lens and nose bridge. Loads of blue-eyed apprentices, and a few other guys who let their guard slip too.:D

The older guys would go up to apprentices and give them an encouraging or friendly (not toooooo friendly mind) pat on the back. Cue a few young lads walking around oblivious to the embarassing stickers stuck to their backs all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I was told one time that the absentee owner of the hotel I worked in was very casual and to address him by his first name whenever he would call around, turns out he was know as Mr. X to everyone and there I was calling him by his first name, he was not impressed.

I know a plumber who sent his apprentice for rubbers (rubber seals) and he arrived back with the inevitable.

Can of hot air is another one

When my aunt worked in the US on her 1st day as a homecarer she was asked by the elderly woman for a "Pitcher (Jug) of Water and the post (New York Post Newspaper).

My aunt landed back with picture of a yacht on the water and all her envelopes and mail. :pac:

A young fella at a petrol station put a drum of gas into an americans boot for him when he asked for Gas (Gasoline - Petrol).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

boss tried to send me off for ropes for hanging doors
    didnt work

Advertisement