Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help installing Pligg on server

Options
  • 01-08-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I decided to try and install Pligg but I'm having issues with it

I've followed the installation instructions but when I try to upload within phpMyAdmin it I get an error - Error in ZIP archive: CRC32 checksum is not equal with the value in header information.

I don't know if that's because some of the filenames within the archive have been changed, which is necessary and outlined in the installation guide.

I have no experience of doing any of this and I'm probably way off the mark

If anyone has any tips or advice, please help!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

zip file is corrupt, download again. Try downloading from a different mirror if you've already tried redownloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

CuLT wrote: »
    zip file is corrupt, download again. Try downloading from a different mirror if you've already tried redownloading.
    Doubt that will help if he's trying to upload it to phpMyAdmin ;)

Unzip the files on your PC, FTP them to your webserver, create the neccessary database & user, open your website and bingo bango

Follow something like this - http://www.scriptful.com/2007/05/31/how-to-install-pligg-beta-96

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

zAbbo wrote: »
    Doubt that will help if he's trying to upload it to phpMyAdmin ;)

Unzip the files on your PC, FTP them to your webserver, create the neccessary database & user, open your website and bingo bango

Follow something like this - http://www.scriptful.com/2007/05/31/how-to-install-pligg-beta-96
    Aha, I suppose reading the question is usually a good first step ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hi,

How far have you gotten in the pligg installation?

The first step is to create a MySQL database. This can be done via your hosts control panel, many offer a database wizard that should make this step very easy. You will need to create a new user account and password, and grant it read / write privileges. Make note of the database username, password, database name, and database location (eg mysql2.hosting.digiweb.ie).

With this in order the next step is to get a good FTP manager and configure it so you can transfer files to your site. I, personally, quite like Filezilla, it's free and does what it's told :).

Download and extract the pligg files. There will be 11 folders and alot of files in the directory. You need to upload all of these to your webserver (simply highlight them all and drag and drop them into the correct folder in filezilla). If you want the pligg interface to be the homepage of your website, copy all these folders and files into the root of your webserver. If you want www.yoursite.ie/pligg (or /anything), to be your pligg interface create a new folder called pligg and copy all the files in there.

When all the files are copied, simply go to www.yoursite.ie/pligg/install. This will start the installation guide. Straight away you will get errors. It will ask you to rename a couple of files, this is done easily in FileZilla. It will also ask you to change permissions on files and folders. To do this simply right click on a file or folder in filezilla and click file permissions. Type in the vale it asks you to change to in the numerical value box (eg 777 or 755). Sometimes it will be just a file, sometimes just a folder, and sometimes a folder and all the files in it. To do this last type you need to select the recurse into subdirectories box.

The cool thing about the pligg installer is you can just refresh that error page and it will give you an updated list of what needs to be changed, or it will allow you to continue. There's very little guesswork involved, it will talk you through it step by step.

Installation will not take long, it will prompt you for your database details (that you noted :p), you will also have to supply an email address and login details.

When the installation is complete you will be told to delete the "install" folder, and also to change some file permissions to ensure your site is secure.

When all that's one, go to your homepage and you will have a nice, shiny, empty pligg interface. go to yoursite.ie/admin to access the backend :).

Hope this helps, I read your other thread, good look with the project, hope you put the domain to good use! :D

P.S. no need for phpMyAdmin yet (if at all)!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I feel so stupid =p I was trying to upload files directly into phpMyAdmin :o

I have the package on the server now, and have changed permissions on the required files.

I still can't install it though because I'm unable to connect to the site. When I bought the hosting I was told it would take up to 24 hrs to resolve the DNS... that was 3 days ago. Should I change any DNS settings or is it supposed to update automatically?

I contacted support yesterday but haven't had a reply yet

Thanks again =)

• Advertisement

What host are you with? Does the domain name show up in your hosting control panel? It usually takes less that 24 hours tbh.

How did you upload the files if you can't connect to the site?

What host are you with? Does the domain name show up in your hosting control panel? It usually takes less that 24 hours tbh.

How did you upload the files if you can't connect to the site?

I uploaded them via the control panel on register365

Hvae you added the domain to your hosting package?

From Namesco Support

...have not added the domain name to the hosting package.

To do this you need to log into your control panel and click on the designer services section.

From here you need to click on the Add option and setup the hosting account.

You will then be able to upload data to the account and setup mail services.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

I've done that, the mail service is working fine.

In one of the welcome emails they give you a link to preview the website before it's DNS setting have been resolved. Try that!

• Advertisement

http://preview1.reg365.net/~bidd.ie/

Ever since I added the Pligg files it's just appeared as a blank page. I had to delete the default index.html when adding those

I'm not sure what's happening...

You uploaded them to the root of the webserver? (in the file manager, into the web folder)

Register's file manager is, well, piss poor to be honest. Are you sure it uploaded all the files? There's a lot to be uploaded.

It's ok that index.html is gone because there's an index.php file supplied by pligg.

fk6uq8.png

I'm pretty sure it uploaded all the files. Is it ok to delete that folder in order to reupload the files just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks like you've uploaded to a sub folder and not the root folder.

You have to upload the files through FTP with the right transfer type.

I'd offer to install it for you, only I wouldn't touch that particular host with a barge pole, nothing but headache.

Advertisement