Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whiskey

• 01-08-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

What is the point of this drink? It's ****ing disgusting...

I'm not a drinker; at all. Spent last night at a mates, he came in with a little bottle of Bell's Scotch Whiskey (40% Alc :eek:); said "try that". Took a sip.. yeah, it was nice.
    Tried to have a bit more, this time downing a load of it. I seriously felt like screaming; it was bloody horrible!

I've never understood the alcohol thing... drinking foultasting drinks just to become completey inebriated and loose all sense of your actions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So....you're not a drinker but you 'downed' a load of cheap scotch, it didn't agree with you and now you wonder why people drink whiskey?

I'd direct you to the Beer, Wine and Spirits forum but it probably isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

brummytom wrote: »

I'm not a drinker; at all. Spent last night at a mates, he came in with a little bottle of Bell's Scotch Whiskey (40% Alc :eek:); said "try that". Took a sip.. yeah, it was nice.
    Tried to have a bit more, this time downing a load of it. I seriously felt like screaming; it was bloody horrible!

I've never understood the alcohol thing... drinking foultasting drinks just to become completey inebriated and loose all sense of your actions?

800 years of persecution and you'd be fond of a tipple too:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You are so very wrong that it calls your parentage and sexual orientation into question. Although it's your own damn fault for drinking Bells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The non-drinkers I know are probably the happiest people I know. How anybody stands in a pub drinking coke and talking to locked people is beyond me though. I'd prefer stay at home.

Whiskey is a dangerous drink. Did you drink it straight, Tom? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The non-drinkers I know are probably the happiest people I know. How anybody stands in a pub drinking coke and talking to locked people is beyond me though. I'd prefer stay at home.

Good username for this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey, and when I drink water, I drink water' - Barry Fitzgerald to Maureen O'Hara when asked "Would you like water with that, Michilín?" in The Quiet Man (1952). Classic.

Try Bushmills 1608, Tommy. It's fierce nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm a non-drinker and the most miserable twat in the world

I don't know what "drink it straight" means? I just drank it out the bottle :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

carte blanche. not guilty your honour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Also, Scotch is whisky and Irish is whiskey...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love a few whiskeys eery now and then, it's savage and it gives you that warm feeling inside that you don't get with beer or cider, and it's a hell of a lot nicer than vodka, straight is the only way to have it.:D

• Advertisement

I don't know what "drink it straight" means? I just drank it out the bottle :confused:

Am I right in saying that you are 16 or 17? Why did you drink it, if you're a non-drinker? Did drinking Bells put you off drink for life?

Saibh wrote: »
    Good username for this thread :D

If only I wasn't such a sissy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

If you're a non-drinker who wants to start drinking, well whiskey isn't the one to start with!
    Try smirnoff ice/bacardi breezer/other alcopop like every other teenager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

Sarky wrote: »
    You are so very wrong that it calls your parentage and sexual orientation into question. Although it's your own damn fault for drinking Bells.

hahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

high horse wrote: »
    If you're a non-drinker who wants to start drinking, well whiskey isn't the one to start with!
    Try smirnoff ice/bacardi breezer/other alcopop like every other teenager...

That's what I did, now I drink pretty much everything except alcopops.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Also, Scotch is whisky and Irish is whiskey...;)

I thought Scotch and Irish were whisky, and Americans like Southern Comfort and Jack Daniels were whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If it doesn't suit you(reading your post it doesn't seem to), don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What is the point of this drink?

Whiskey was invented so that the Irish wouldn't rule the world - THATS THE POINT OF IT.

Sarky wrote: »

Well my parents are ****, and I'm English - so by definition, I have to be slightly gay

I thought Scotch and Irish were whisky, and Americans like Southern Comfort and Jack Daniels were whiskey?
    Nope.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that you are 16 or 17? Why did you drink it, if you're a non-drinker? Did drinking Bells put you off drink for life?

15 actually :P
    I drank it because, I dunno actually, I suppose I was just curious.. and I'm not sure - though it's definitely put me off Whisk(e)y for life :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

You took a sip and it was nice, that's how you should drink it then. Necking the bottle isn't a nice way of drinking it whatsoever, it's just the fast way to inebriation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

i do believe that this clip will answe all of your questions

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/KingStinkY/?action=view&current=irishheritage.flv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

Ginger Ale was invented for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Jack Daniels is a bourbon and Southern Comfort is a Liquer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Sexy wrote: »
    Ginger Ale was invented for a reason.

so odd balls have something to hold in there other hand:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

s'far's i know, ireland and america have whiskey and scotland and canadia have whisky. never quite been bothered enough by it to figure out why though...

and OP, first off, ok, you're not a drinker... so why have it in the first place?
    second off, you took a sip... and enjoyed it... fair play, i've been drinking whiskeys and bourbons for many a year now, and i still can't sip it straight (ie, without being mixed with something else, like coke) without pulling a face (while still sober).
    third... you decided to neck it. i can understand how you now hate it. doesnt shock me really, a non-drinker necks 40% alcohol... if losing control of your actions was all that happened, consider yourself lucky... if you downed any amount of it really, i'd imagine you spent most of the rest of the night hugging the bowl.

and the point of alcohol is to chill out, relax, get tipsy drunk (or blind numb drunk, depending on the day you've had) and enjoy yourself. i find it works best if you drink something you enjoy the taste of... whiskey and coke has always done it for me... start off on about a 1/8:7/8 measures of spirits to soft drink and you can't go too far wrong (as a non-drinker attempting to drink).

you're young yet though... plenty of time to figure it out.

Jack Daniels is a bourbon and Southern Comfort is a Liquer
    Actually...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Hi Tom.

I've read your post and I respectfully disagree.

Yours in type, Mr. Schism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I was over the gfs house a few weeks ago after coming back from a night staying at a friends house up the country. She had the remains of a bottle of Southern Comfort in a fanta bottle or something. We're all sitting in the living room talking when along comes her 14 yo brother to get a sneaky swig of the "fanta":pac: And I'm the only one to notice, so I sit there with a stupid grin on my face trying not to burst out laughing as he first retches, then bolts for the back door then comes back a minute or so later with a guilty look on his face surreptitiously looking around to see if anyone had noticed!

I'm not much of a whiskey drinker myself but I'd say it's a nice way to finish off the day or a nice way to get stupid drunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

To the OP: Don't give up on whisky just because of a bad first experience - seriously, downing some blended s***e like Bells is guaranteed to repulse.

Get your hands on a decent single malt Scotch like Talisker, or a good Irish whiskey like Midleton, and give it another go. Take small sips and roll it around your mouth for a while before swallowing. Mix the whiskey with a small amount of water if you find it to be a little overpowering at first; some Scotches can be very smoky and strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Hay Tom. Jameson(Jemmy) and Red is a super combo but it is essential that it is mixed correctly and in the right quantities. The key is to put the Jameson into the single Irish uncle and the Taylor Keith into the tolerant English nephew before mixing. If you get the quantities right it should provide a Goldmine of nuggets which will preclude your parents from taking the high moral ground in certain arguments ("Jaysus Tom did I ever tell you about the time meself and your father were on the buildins, it was just after he started going out with your mother......).;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jameson and oj my favourite drink!

Drink of the gods, I just had chocolate whiskey icecream, mmmmmmmm.

Anyway, OP, you are like 15 drinking straight whiskey, lay off it, you have to be a man to appreciate it. Stick with fields and devils bit.

Anyway, OP, you are like 15 drinking straight whiskey, lay off it, you have to be a man to appreciate it. Stick with fields and devils bit.

I have to be a man to appreciate it? :(
    I dunno what fields and devils bit means.

But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night at another mates house so I haven't been put off drink completely :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night

Oh lord, looks like we'll have to educate you about beer as well! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Whiskey (or whisky) is perhaps the finest drink that has ever been invented.
    Scotch and Irish. Can't be touched.
    Never had a Jemmy and OJ though. I drink it straight or with a wee slurp of water. None of yer ice. Puts hairs on yer michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

You have deep rooted psychological issues dude!!:pac:

Well yeah... That's a given if he's posting in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Have to agree with the OP, whiskey is rank!!!

But the problem is; whiskey is part of the 'Irish identity' plus you mix that with the whole macho angle of its a 'mans drink' and you have the irish equivalent of the 'snooty French wine connoisseur' character...basically an a55hole who only drinks it in company for effect.

It tastes like 5hite and unless your 60+ years old, you're definetly one of those saddo's who thinks drinking whiskey makes them and "Irishman"

(I absolutely love Guinness though, as cliche as that is, Id drink it through a wet sock!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night

So very young... and so much to learn. I used to hate whiskey when I was a wee nipper, and it was all budweiser and bulmers and vodka with coke back then. Then I matured, and discovered the wonders of fine drinking.

Whiskey (proper whiskey that is, not cheap muck) is a fantastic drink, but at your age, it'll be a while before you're old enough to appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Hey Dr.Bollocko! Oh yeah!

PK2008 wrote: »
    It tastes like 5hite and unless your 60+ years old, you're definetly one of those saddo's who thinks drinking whiskey makes them and "Irishman"
    Whiskey (y) has a lovely taste. Whether it's scotch or Irish with a great range of mixers. Why do you have to be 60+ to drink it and not be a saddo?

Jaysus. I knew the kids were getting crazier and crazier these days with their cocaine and vibrators and fatfrogs but I never thought it was this bad.
    Hey Dr.Bollocko! Oh yeah!

Sends chivas down me spine just looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have to be a man to appreciate it? :(
    I dunno what fields and devils bit means.

A field is a big grassy stretch of land,and devils bit is a cider.:pac:

I've had it in my mind to get hold of a bottle of this at some stage. Maybe Christmas, who knows?

Had it at a bar in Osaka before, and my god... One of the very finest things I've drank in my life, it made my night.

A field is a big grassy stretch of land,and devils bit is a cider.:pac:

Ahh we don't have these 'field' things here.. God knows we don't want farmers.
    Oh right.. never heard Cider called that before

I've had it in my mind to get hold of a bottle of this at some stage. Maybe Christmas, who knows?

Had it at a bar in Osaka before, and my god... One of the very finest things I've drank in my life, it made my night.

Sounds relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

PK2008 wrote: »

And here's me drinking it because i like it. Got my motives all wrong!

I know.. but how could you tell that from that post :confused:

Ahh we don't have these 'field' things here.. God knows we don't want farmers.
    Oh right.. never heard Cider called that before

Devil's Bit is a brand. It's rank stuff that kids drink before they learn of the greatness that is Aspall.
    Sounds relaxing.

It was. ;)

Even the regular suntory is lovely. Like so. Really sorry I didn't bring a bottle back with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Whiskey (y) has a lovely taste. Whether it's scotch or Irish with a great range of mixers. Why do you have to be 60+ to drink it and not be a saddo?

Jaysus. I knew the kids were getting crazier and crazier these days with their cocaine and vibrators and fatfrogs but I never thought it was this bad.

Its defintely an aul fella's drink but you always get a few to55ers (usually in their mid thirties) at the bar trying to pretend they're refined: "Oh this is a vintage, single malt...yadda yadda yadda....."- its cringeworthy especially when they break out the cigars and try to one-up each other about "how it should be drunk" (complete wa*kers)

It tastes like 5hite and the young lads that drink it are superior nerd types other than that 60+'s, cos thats the 5hite they drank back in the old days while wearing flat caps and cursing the british

• Advertisement
Advertisement