Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlow It start date

• 01-08-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone, I'm starting college in Carlow IT as a first year mature student in Sept..just trying to find out the exact date. Can anyone help me out please ? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Last year registration for first year students took place on the 8th and 9th of September and then courses started on the 10th. It won't be exactly the same this year but it gives you an idea.

They should have posted you out an information pack by now though with all you need to know. Best thing would be to give them a call I'd say and they'll tell you exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kate369k

Thanks Schism

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I think first years are back on the 8th - which is a monday. Ye have two days of meeting other in the class then 3 days of classes. Basically its a week for a piss up but not much more than that. Don't know if ye do register that week either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey, which course are you doing? I started in IT Carlow as a mature student too back in 2005, and I've got my honours degree now (heading off to England to start a PhD).

Kevin

Tom10: thank you.

Kevster: Well done you ! that's some achievement .Congratulations.
    I'm starting the social studies course...nervous as hell though. Long time since I was a student ! But it's now or never ..any advise ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You'll be fine, get in there and get stuck in. Don't let all those first years put you off, like wild animals they're more scared of you than you are of them :P

Seriously though, there will be people who are there just for the laugh but there'll also be people like you there who want to learn something.

Kate369k, I have no advice as such but (as Schism has said) there'll be a lot of people there who are just there to have a good time (and then scrape a pass at the end of the year). Overall though, whether you are the going out type or not (Im not), you'll enjoy Carlow. I wouldnt want to live there long term, but those four years there were amazing. The people are very laid back too (lecturers, I mean). I first studied in DIT and it's a completely different (and better) atmosphere at Carlow.

Thanks guys. Starting to look forward to it. The whole college experience doesn't bother me, and I've done enough partying with the last ten years for that to be out of my system. It's more to do with getting used to studying again. And oh Lord...homework !!:eek:

Haha dont call it homework or people will laugh

Of course they won't..my totally piff co-dees will be too busy trying to help me fit the stannah stairlift breh !!:P

• Advertisement

Haha I think you are placing too much faith of the nice-ness of your knew class mates :P

Homework? - in college? Nah, it's just work, and you do it if you want. If you don't, the lecturer won't get on your back too much. They'll just give you a big fat (or 'obese', if you prefer) ZERO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Do 2nd years register and start before 1st years? what time are they expected to start? I can only find references to 1st year reg.

A7X wrote: »
    Do 2nd years register and start before 1st years? what time are they expected to start? I can only find references to 1st year reg.

No first years are in there on their own for the first week and then on the following monday everybody else is back and whatever course and year you are in will be assigned a time to go and register. You'll get a letter about it all soon enough I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Tom10 wrote: »
    No first years are in there on their own for the first week and then on the following monday everybody else is back and whatever course and year you are in will be assigned a time to go and register. You'll get a letter about it all soon enough I'd imagine

Thanks alot.

Advertisement