Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Dog Pen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No experience of the pens I'm afraid, but have you got a room, maybe like a utility that she could stay in? You can get dog gates for doorways, slightly higher than baby gates, so that you could confine her to that one room, but she could see whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

ISDW wrote: »
    No experience of the pens I'm afraid, but have you got a room, maybe like a utility that she could stay in? You can get dog gates for doorways, slightly higher than baby gates, so that you could confine her to that one room, but she could see whats going on.

She's too fond of chewing for me to give her free rein of a room tbh. I'd prefer to keep her in something like this. It'd only be in the evening when we bring her in. She's outside all day in the back yard running round.

We'd still let her out around the house but it'd be handy to have a pen like this to put her into if we were busy with baby and hadn't the chance to keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As mentioned a door gate/stair gate thing should work although some dogs can jump over them. If she's a chewer providing her with lots of chew toys and plenty of excercise will cut down on it.

The Argos one I think is only available on in the UK, plus it's only for puppies an adult cocker would probably get out of it and it's too small really.

The ebay one looks better but again it has no top so a clever pooch like a cocker could hop out of it of knock it over with enough tries..not sure of the weight of it so only guessing that would happen.

Perhaps a large crate, esp. as it's not for crate training you could get a very large one some of them are plenty big for a cocker to walk about in available in a lot of pet shops or they can order it in for you or try zooplus.co.uk
    They are also foldable when you don't need them, although getting the dog used to it first is important if you pop the dog in and close over the door the dog may not like it. So I guess it is a form of crate training. The dog must feel safe in it. They don't have an open top so that way there won't be any change of the dog getting out. Although do let the pooch meet and greet the baby regularly.

We have this set up for our pup although wouldn't be big enough for a cocker but there's no bottom to it so it can be put directly on the kitchen tiles (comes with a waterproof sheet for the bottom) it has a removable top to it.
    Got it in Maxi Zoo..if you live near one well worth a visit they might have something that would suit you.

(Ignore the peepee training tray/pad wasn't put in the pen plus they are the greatest waste of money)
    puppyypenn.jpg

mrbinkysplaypenplayinwithtoy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

We have a baby playpen in our kitchen to contain our cocker.
    Its very sturdy - got a heavy base, so won't fall over.

I'd be concerned of the chance for that ebay one to be toppled if your dog is jumping up leaning on the side, as ours does all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We have a baby playpen in our kitchen to contain our cocker.
    Its very sturdy - got a heavy base, so won't fall over.

I'd be concerned of the chance for that ebay one to be toppled if your dog is jumping up leaning on the side, as ours does all the time.

How much did the baby playpen cost?

I've contacted the place in Ennis and they do free delivery. The fella who has been emailing me seems very nice so I'm going to ring him.

He says the pen is 4ft by 4ft when put together so that sounds big enough. I am planning to putting one side of it against the wall and can weigh down the other so she shouldn't be able to push it over.

Also, as its about 4 foot high, I can't see her being able to climb out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement