Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint on Pro Wrestling mod

Options
  • 01-08-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

12 or 13 days ago, the mod orestes locked a sticky topic in the pro wrestling forum called "Irish Promotions"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055082781&page=150

There was one particular poster that was flaring up the thread, and he made one particular false comment that got a rise but he later retracted it.

Apart from this one poster there was nothing wrong, things were just beginning to get back towards being more civil and on topic, but orestes took it upon himself to lock the thread saying that it was a mess, rather than deal out warnings or bannings to the minority of offending posters.

The reason I'm annoyed with this action is that it is an Irish forum, and it is a pro wrestling forum, yet despite these two facts you are not about to post about IRISH wrestling on the main forum and are reduced to a sticky that is now locked with no word on when or even if it will be opened again.

If we were allowed to post on the main forum then the mod just could have closed the offending topic, but because we are confined to the sticky, talk of Irish wrestling at all is now in a total ban seemingly, and I believe that to be unfair.

I feel that orestes is too heavy handed a mod who could handle things with smaller measures but often opts for the more drastic measures. When Shawn Raven was mod in his abscence we had no such issues. People were warned and banned where appropriate instead of sweeping modship that punishes everybody.

Irish promotions are kind of like football, everybody supports one over the other and things can get heated on occassion, but it is no reason to discriminate against those who discuss it with a cool head.

Last update said it was passed onto the community managers but still no word.

Sorry if this is a little long winded but I wanted to give appropriate context and it is starting to seem that no talk about Irish wrestling will be allowed unless someone pushes an enquiry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you sent him a PM to find out his point of view?

Generally that is the first thing we recommend that you do, before coming to the Help Desk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I PM'ed him right after the thread was locked.

He said it would be re-opened in a few days and if I questioned his decision to make a help desk thread. His reasoning was that it would not be reasonable to let the thread continue at this point but he didn't expand on it any further than that. As such the whole topic of Irish wrestling on an Irish wrestling forum is now banned.

I left it for a while to see if it was re-opened but it hasn't been and so I have made this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The thread was locked because it was turning into a flame-war. I had originally intended to reopen the thread after a couple of days after everyone had calmed doan a little bit but decided to consult the admins to find out what they thought the best way to proceed on the matter was (admin thread here as I am unsure where the thread stands on the advertising side of things and wanted to get a clear response and set of guidelines for the thread before re-opening it in order to present a situation like this happening again.

The admins are busy folks and are discussing it, I posted in the locked thread saying this was the case and I would provide more info when I had it. I was away for the weekend and am only seeing this thread now and getting back up to date with things I have missed over the last 4 days, this was on the list and I will get back to the admins adn ask if they have reached a decision or have any ideas and will let everyone know when they do.

The situation remains as it was: the thread remains locked, the admins are discussing it as I posted in the thread, and I'll let everyone know what the situation is as soon as I have any more information. Thanks for starting the thread, I hope we can get it all sorted out soon :)

If you have any other problems with my moderation please feel freee to refer to specific instances and I'll gladly go over them with you or stand aside while the admins review them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I have given the mods the go ahead to reopen the thread if they want.

There are a few perticular issues they had, and they have carte blanche to do as they will.

These types of threads can sometimes be more hassle than they are worth, but if it adds to the community, then I think its important.

The mods will be keeping an eye on it, and if that means they appear 'heavy-handed', then so be it.

However, there are some good points made, and the mods of the PW should look at them and see what works best for the users and the forum.

Have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Thread reopened, myself and the other PW mods will have a look at the other points raised here and give them some thought and keep them in mind in future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Your forum, your call Orestes, but dont feel you need to do something you are uncomfortable with. Make sure it works for the mods and the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement