Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some evil git stole my bag in Temple Bar this morning

• 01-08-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

and I bloody well would like it back!

Firstly dear lovely boards admins I'm not sure if it's okay to post this here so please move it if it's not, I'm just rather desperate :)

As the title says some arse stole my bag when we were setting up in the design market in Cow's Lane at the corner of Essex St, Temple Bar this morning, I put my bag down, turned my back and it was gone. Ran up Essex St West and friend ran up Essex St East. Friend found my bag dumped, but wallet, passport & phone all gone.

Why am I posting aside from the feel-good-rant factor? Well I'm hoping that the guy was a junkie(!) and has dumped my wallet (a Jocasi one in black leather with brass studs) & passport and that some lovely boardsie will be out in Temple Bar tonight and find my passport & wallet as I'm supposed to be flying to see my little sis on friday. I'm probably just ranting though..

Chupi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

NYPA

First a brown top hat and now a wallet,passport and phone, I'm getting lucky these days.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Ah that's crap :( What a tool. Hope it turns up. :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pity your tickets weren't in the bag. Could have gone on holiday posing as you! Now I can just spend your money on coke and hookers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

This may be stupid but why not wrap it in a plastic bag and give it into a garda station for finger printing. I am sure whichever scumbag did this has already a mile long criminal record.

Maybe i watch too much CSI though... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

This may be stupid but why not wrap it in a plastic bag and give it into a garda station for finger printing. I am sure whichever scumbag did this has already a mile long criminal record.

way too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd advise you to get onto the passport crowd ASAP for a new passport and to declare your old one stolen.
    Get onto your phone operator and declare your phone stolen, they'll be able to cancel it and maybe better yet, track it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

chupi wrote: »
    and I bloody well would like it back!

Firstly dear lovely boards admins I'm not sure if it's okay to post this here so please move it if it's not, I'm just rather desperate :)

As the title says some arse stole my bag when we were setting up in the design market in Cow's Lane at the corner of Essex St, Temple Bar this morning, I put my bag down, turned my back and it was gone. Ran up Essex St West and friend ran up Essex St East. Friend found my bag dumped, but wallet, passport & phone all gone.

Why am I posting aside from the feel-good-rant factor? Well I'm hoping that the guy was a junkie(!) and has dumped my wallet (a Jocasi one in black leather with brass studs) & passport and that some lovely boardsie will be out in Temple Bar tonight and find my passport & wallet as I'm supposed to be flying to see my little sis on friday. I'm probably just ranting though..

Chupi

Your friend has the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I hope you've reported your passport as stolen to the Gardai, and the passport office also need to be notified in writing afaik.

I know what is done is done, but why did your passport on you? I never go near town with anything of importance, I only carry small amounts of cash at a time and never bring a bag into town with me. You probably think I'm a bit extreme in my thinking, but I'd rather be over careful than to be left imagining some piece of scum with their filthy maulers all over my stuff, and nosing through my private information.

Had you a set of keys in that bag too? your address would be on your passport also. I've never lost or had my passport stolen before, but if you talk to the passport office asap they may be able to help you sort something out before Friday. Maybe another boardser can advise on this.

Its a pretty rotten thing to happen, and Im sorry for you that it did. But putting your bag down in town? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Hi all, thanks very much for the sympathy and the smart answers! Yep, I hope the junkie who's currently pretending to be me has fun :)

My passport doesn't have my address on it and I didn't actually have keys in my bag. I had my passport because I had to go into my bank (Halifax, open Saturdays) to authorise a transaction on my business account. I never, ever carry the stupid thing otherwise. Everything is cancelled now anyway.

I really hope something mildly unpleasant happens to the thief, like a finger falling off..

Thanks AH!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Your passport doesn't have your address? I thought all passports have the person's address - mine does anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Your passport doesn't have your address? I thought all passports have the person's address - mine does anyway.
    no, thgey dont bother with addresses cos they are ten year passports and people move all the time so it saves them issueing new passports everytime someone moves house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I put my bag down, turned my back and it was gone.

Try turning back around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

That's a rotten bit of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, I had the same problem. When I was setting up in the design market I suddenly felt weighed down so decided to take my wallet, phone and passport out of my pocket and place them on the floor, I then walked off.

Oh... wait, no, that didn't happen at all, it would appear that I'm just not THAT stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The guard's wouldn't give a bollox tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

OP, I had the same problem. When I was setting up in the design market I suddenly felt weighed down so decided to take my wallet, phone and passport out of my pocket and place them on the floor, I then walked off.

Oh... wait, no, that didn't happen at all, it would appear that I'm just not THAT stupid.
    Relax there sparky. Not everyone is as perfect as you, MM!

Kiera wrote: »
    Don't I know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

What i'd do if i were you, go back to where your mate found the bag, and have a good look around that area, behind bins, walls etc. the chances are that whoever stole it wanted to dump all but the cash. a passport would be no good to them, unless s/he knows an international spy of course!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

just wait til the naked photos and sex videos from your phone make it onto the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Kiera wrote: »

thats not sparky, its magicmarker! Jesus woman, know your boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am sorry to hear that, I hate when things like that happen :( best get on to the passport office as soon as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

That sucks for you alright.

You have to report your passport missing to the guards first. Fill in a new passport form and get into the passport office during the week. You will definitely get a new one before you go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

No offence but OP that was as stupid things go's thats pretty stupid on your behalf.
    Sorry to hear about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Monkey61 wrote: »
    That sucks for you alright.

You have to report your passport missing to the guards first. Fill in a new passport form and get into the passport office during the week. You will definitely get a new one before you go away.

You can get a new one once you provide proof of travel. The passport office can have it ready within an hour OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

Sorry to hear about that OP Always a bummer having stuff stolen.

Some of you others here are harsh.

Sexy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that OP Always a bummer having stuff stolen.

Some of you others here are harsh.
    Hey sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP if needs be you can get an emergency passport thing that they issue in alot shorter time than the normal one

Check out the dept. of foreign affairs website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If this were a hat, you used a slightly excessive amount of swearing, and were a mod then people might have cared.

AH, the home of double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If this were a hat, you used a slightly excessive amount of swearing, and were a mod then people might have cared.

AH, the home of double standards.

AH, also the home to people who can't distinguish between two different situations once they're in any way similar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

OP, out of curiosity, did you try calling your phone?

A friend of mine had his phone stolen in a cafe by a junkie. My friend had seen him come in with 2 kids but took no notice. Without thinking my friend went up to the counter to pay the bill, leaving his phone on the table. As you'd expect the phone was gone when he returned only seconds later, and the man was gone.

An hour later he called Vodafone and checked to see if there had been any dialed numbers from his phone within the last hour(the hour within in which his phone was out of his possession). Sure enough there had been one call, he requested the number and proceeded to call that number.

A female answered, my friend assumed it was the wife of the thief and mother of the kids. After quite a while of arguing, threatening and my friend claiming that he would have the woman's kids taken off her, she reluctantly got the phone and handed it back in to Pearse Street Garda Station.

If you're clever about things, you do have an outside chance of getting something back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

notify the guards and maybe they might be able to identity the person on cctv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

well i hope u get a bit of good luck theres nuttin you caan do about your stuff now onwards and upwards it could be worse it could of had your address and keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Well since everybody in Ireland is on Boards and live to serve you, we'll set up a search party immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

phasers wrote: »
    Well since everybody in Ireland is on Boards and live to serve you, we'll set up a search party immediately.

I'm in work bored, sure, why not. It's got to beat anything that will happen for the rest of this bank holiday monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Just a quick update:

A bloody fantastic person handed my passport to a guard on Drury Street a couple of hours ago and I now have it back. Woo! Oddly enough one of my (canceled) atm cards was also with the passport..

Thanks again to everyone who was so terribly kind with all the advice, I shall be a more mean & suspicious person henceforth!

Chupi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I used to live on Cow's Lane. Lived there for about 4 years. Guaranteed to be a junky. The amount of stuff I saw happening around there was ridiculous... I learned a lot about Dublin while I lived there.

Sunday mornings I was usually woken to the sound of junkies fighting over the contents of about 10 handbags in the alleyway.. then followed by them crapping themselves and puking all over the place.

My Dad parked his car down on fishamble street when he was in visiting me. He was only in for about half an hour. Brick through the window of the car just to rob a crap old phone that didn't even work anyway.

I liked living in that area of Temple Bar, but the drug and junky problem around there is ridiculous.

Advertisement