Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite currently available in Lidl - will it pick up turkish channels?

• 01-08-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    hoping someone here can help. There is currently a FTA satellite on offer in Lidl - its a camping one which would be particularly useful for us as we were hoping we could set it up in the attic without having to attach another dish to the house.
    we currently have sky.
    what I am looking to know is if this FTA satellite will pick up any turkish channels? we were told that perhaps moving the sky dish a couple of degrees would work, but no joy. (perhaps we were moving it the wrong way?).
    Am a bit clueless about all this - if any one has advice on how we can get some turkish channels we would appreciate it - doesn't have to be too many, anything would be great. we also don't want to go spending a fortune on it either, hence why we were thinking of the satellite in Lidl.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    cincikchick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Most turkish channels are on the turksat satellite.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/turk3a.html

your Lidl dish might pick up TRT channel on the Hotbird satellite but not much more than that.

forget about moving the sky dish. that won't help.

you really need a bigger dish than the Lidl one.
    thats about it.
    a dish is not expensive.

I think 80cm size should be enough but plenty of experts about this board that can tell you definitively.

heres a list of all the free Turkish channels
    http://www.flysat.com/tv-tr.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need at least an 80cm dish. Some channels need bigger.
    The east beam and east spot can't be received at all.

The lidl dish is a Wok.

The Sky dish is too small. The amount of movement is over 15 degrees east and over 5 degrees lower from memory.

The Sky Digibox won't work, but any other Digital Satellite receiver will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Just to add, I get 42e reasonably well here in Kildare but I don't get every channel at that position, some are just too week to receive (for me at least). i have an 80cm dish.

You mention setting it up in the attic, do you actually mean in the attic itself?? If so, unless you have a big hole in your attic, I'm afraid that just will not work. The roof has a way of blocking the signals :D

You will need to mount it outside, but it does not have to be up high, my dish if only about 6ft off the ground. If you had the room and line of sight, you could mount it on a pole in your back garden.

Oh and the FTA receiver in Lidl would be fine for receiving the channels, just use the dish that comes with it as a bird bath!

mj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

mjsmyth wrote: »
    You mention setting it up in the attic, do you actually mean in the attic itself?? If so, unless you have a big hole in your attic, I'm afraid that just will not work. The roof has a way of blocking the signals :D

yeah thanks for that! :D I should've said on the roof, just outside the attic velux window! that is where we wanted the sky dish, but the guy wouldn't go up on the roof and we had to put it on the gable end of the house, which is ok I suppose, but would prefer it out of sight of the back patio. Cos the Lidl one is small and fairly portable, we were hoping to set up a bracket outside the attic window - we have a spare room up there and that is where these channels would be watched, so it would be fine for occasional use.

Ah well, seeing as its not likely to work we'll have to think of an alternative! As I said, we don't want it so bad that we want to spend too much money on it, so we'll have to give it a bit more thought as it whether or not it is worth it.

thanks for the replies and advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ive seen Turksat (not the East beam channels) recieved on an 80 cm dish in Belfast (although some channels tend to drop out during rain Ideally a 90cm dish is really needed this far North)

At 42 east the satellite is fairly low in the sky which means one often has to mount their satellite dish fairly high up to recieve it.

TRT International is carried on 13 and 19 degrees east while the (somewhat controversial) Roj TV carries some Turkish language programming from 9 and 39 degrees East

Advertisement