Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plunkett station in waterford new exterior

• 01-08-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Has anyone else seen the new exterior of the waterford train station? I got off the train the other day and was a bit shocked when I saw it. Unfortunatly the insde is the same old **** :(
    I read nothing in the papers about it or heard anything on WLR. Usually that kind of thing would be the talk of the town. Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its that way for a good few months now. Its an alternative to the complete refurbishment which is put on hold due to the economy. The exterior looks a lot better and the inside was given a small clean up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Any pics?
    Hopefully they never get to build that concrete monstrosity and rethink it before any new development goes ahead.
    They should bring the rail line over or under the road right to the quayside (still the ferrybank side) and build the new station there- on the site of that crumbling mill or whatever it is- build a rail station with a mix of retail outlets like on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Ahhhh right. Yeah I knew it was supposed to be completly redeveloped but when I saw the exterior was just changed I was thinkin' "Oh this means its not gonna be redone properly for at leat another million or so years" :p

Looks decent though. Much better than it used to.

I cant find pics of it online at all. If I come across any I'll post em :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i really wish they would build it as close to the orginal station as possible, the old station was beautiful until it was replaced by the Soviet Block

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It would have been ideal if they could have brought the rail line under the N25 and relocate the station on the river side of the N25, as scabbyleg suggested, with shops and other amenities.

And perhaps a nice, sleek modernist covered/weather proof pedestrian bridge to cross the Suir and connect with the city centre.

Still, we can dream...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pac413

when I saw the exterior was just changed I was thinkin' "Oh this means its not gonna be redone properly for at leat another million or so years" :p
    Or at all :rolleyes:

But hey, I think it's fine the way it is. Too much money is being poured into frivolous aesthetic changes these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Did they get rid of the model railway which used to be in the room on the right as you go in?

SSE

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did they get rid of the model railway which used to be in the room on the right as you go in?

SSE

Sadly, all that is now gone.

Advertisement