Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin=Recession free zone?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Seriously, the economic downturn doesn't appear to have hit this place, the only signs that I can find of the recession is that the short lived photo studio had to shut up shop and Brady's is gone.

Aside from that there doesn't seem to be any shortage of money or people willing to spend crazy amounts of it in the village, just walk into supervalu on a saturday and you'll see people spending between €100 to €250 on practically nothing.

Is it old money or just lack of common sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

GDM wrote: »
    Seriously, the economic downturn doesn't appear to have hit this place, the only signs that I can find of the recession is that the short lived photo studio had to shut up shop and Brady's is gone.

Aside from that there doesn't seem to be any shortage of money or people willing to spend crazy amounts of it in the village, just walk into supervalu on a saturday and you'll see people spending between €100 to €250 on practically nothing.

I noticed the same thing in Dublin recently, still plenty of people wandering around in expensive cars and sunglasses and designer bags.
    There's just a hell of a lot less of them now, but they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Archeron wrote: »
    I noticed the same thing in Dublin recently, still plenty of people wandering around in expensive cars and sunglasses and designer bags.
    There's just a hell of a lot less of them now, but they are still there.

Must be a concentrated amount around here so. I suppose I shouldn't really complain since the locals' desire for pointlessly expensive bottled water and posh cheese keeps me in a job. Still mind boggling how much some people will spent on stuff though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's one word to explain the signs of wanton affluence in a sea of economic misery:

that word is denial

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There's one word to explain the signs of wanton affluence in a sea of economciisery:

that word is denial

Denial? So you think people who spend like they always did should hold back just because there's a recession? Surely those who still have money to spend don't have access to credit like they would have before. So if they're spending away, even these days, they must have good reason to feel secure.

What happened in the past, where people spent money they simply didn't have, living only thanks to myriad lines of cheap credit, that was denial alright.

But spending money in a recession, especially in a small town like Dunshaughlin and at a time when credit limits mean that it's more likely to be your own money than a bank's, that's damn well patriotic.

Not spending money, "denying yourself" simply because "eh, hello, there's a recession on" can only ensure that the day this bottoms out remains further away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You're completely wrong! Brady's shop has closed, as has the flower shop beside it and the launderette 2 doors up. The travel agents has relocated to Ashbourne. The bridal shop has also relocated to Ashbourne. Both the jewellery store across from the police station and Serendipity (gift shop) closed down recently and AFAIK so did the Chinese takeaway Dynasty (I could be wrong, only heard this today). The stationery shop closed down a while ago (beside the Arch Bar) and they don't seem to have any luck filling that unit. Boylesports is closing down soon.

There are tonnes of empty units too, most notably at the entrance to Maeldúin from the main street. There must be about 4 or 5 large empty units there?

I can see a lot more casualties along the way, especially once the new bypass is open. I can't see places like Berni's Angels, Remax, Aladdin's Cave, Jonesy's Fruit & Veg, the new gift shop (took the jewellery store unit), Chocolate Fringe, Jenny's, Jacqui's barbers (always seems empty), the Accessory Store, Venice and a few others being open too much longer. A lot of the pubs are absolutely dead on weekends, not to mention during the week. I see Dunshaughlin being a ghost town this time next year!

Rents for units are way too high in Dunshaughlin plus parking is absolutely crap, which discourages through-traffic to stop off. It's a pity really because there are a few lovely little shops.

I don't know where you're getting the impression that there's no recession in Dunshaughlin, I think it's being hit fairly badly TBH!

My guess is that people will still come through the town in order to avoid paying the toll on the new bypass-that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, they build a bypass and then stick a toll bridge on it and not even barrier free, means traffic will either get backed up on it or still come throught the town to avoid it.

I heard a few weeks ago that ALDI bought the maddens site, anyone hear anything about that, I notice LIDL cancelled its planned store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

maybee its true, clark fassinge the local car dealer thinks were not in a resession as he is still asking silly prices for his cars, high even by non resession standards

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

While I think that the recession will hit Dunshaughlin harder than it already has, people must also take into account that the shops that have closed are mainly shíte...

Brady's which became Paddy's was barely open, and was crap, seldom had papers, the flower shop next door had to compete with Moiras, amuch better shop, jsut as the Star Launderette and Dynasty had to compete with far better business' (Gills, Golden Phoenix respectively).

Dunshaughlin Pharmacy closed down, but ther was never a need for a third pharmacy. There are far too many hair salons in the town, 3 bookies, 4 estate agencies...

I think the recession will just take things down a notch into reality and into capacity...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Interesting thread...I agree with IRcolm, there are too many of certain types of shops, while I think there is actually a shortage of other types., eg., a bakery (recession or not, who could resist a fresh cream bun, apple strudle, or a crusty turn-over:)).
    Also, the fast-food situation in the village badly needs some competition. Macari's and the other "chipper" at the Village Grill are owed by the same family, and I think they also own the Pizza outlet as well as the re-vamped Food Fare. The staff in Macari come across as sour and unfriendly, giving out a silent message: "We don't really want to be here looking at all your hungry faces".
    I hadn't heard about Dynasty closing, but if it is, good riddence! It's always been a bit ropey, I think.
    Supervalue is a rip-off...but I get the impression that a certain amount of customers there don't care what they charge. Dunshaughlin badly needs another supermarket...it was a disappointment when Lidl pulled out. I sent an email to their head-office a while back asking if they had any plans. They replied later the same day saying "no plans but if the situation changes it will be advertised in the media".

• Advertisement

Cucina, I agree about the Macaris/Fontanas. I have never come across such rude staff in my life. There is a woman who works in the Village Grill who has the sourest face I've ever seen. When you go into the pizza place, they never seem happy to be taking your order. Also, Fontana's restaurant is an absolute rip-off. I can't believe they opened up a restaurant at a time like this and are charging the prices that they are. Any time I walk into any of their 4 businesses, I am made feel uncomfortable by the staff. It's not just the staff either, the family themselves are like that too, for such a business-savvy family, they have absolutely no people skills.

Venice, the other Italian restaurant, is quite nice. It's nothing special but it's cheap and cheerful. It's a real pity that it's in such a terrible location. A good restaurant in Dunshaughlin would do great business I think. The Chinese and the two Italians don't give a very exciting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Lots of people might like to spend the day in Dunshaughlin to get over the recession blues so.

The Macari's situation is ridiculous. €2.50 for a bag of chips. €3.50 for a battered sausage. Thats just sausage, flour and water, and 2 sausages for €3... still expensive but illogical compared to the battered one. Complete Effing rip off.

Indian Take-away is opening soon, can't wait, variety and competition. Venice is Lovely... And I'd recommmend people order their take out rather than Pizza Mias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dáibhí

I saw the words 'Super Valu' in a post above about spending in Dunshaughlin. I would just like to put on record that Super Valu Dunshaughlin makes me physically want to get sick when I end up in it. Yes, it is the cheapest supermarket in Dunshaughlin - which isn't hard considering it's the only one. Yes, this is the same Super Valu next to the car park where it is frequently exceedingly difficult to get a parking space.

This week I saw a 20 pack of Miller for €24.99. That was the sale price, I must emphasise. In Tesco in Ratoath the precise same product is available for €17.99. The genius in charge of Dunshaughlin has in the past 6 months taken to putting exclamation marks after his prices. So, it was actually €24.99!!, while the Bulmers can that was €2.35 in August 2008 is now €2.35!! in August 2009. Wow, us Dunshaughlin people really are that stupid.

Then there's just the entire culture of the shop. Goods offered at a 'discount price' are regularly charged at their 'normal' price when you actually go to the till. The staff then mumble something about "it should have been changed" blah blah blah. Every single thing you buy in that shop, check that the price you are paying is the price that was advertised. The amount of people who have experienced this is not funny.

And then there is the simple but thoughtful things which are entirely absent in that shop entirely due to a lack of competition in the village. For instance, the Gaelscoil in Dunshaughlin was a few years ago bigger than the National School. Now, since St Seachnall's got its extension, both schools are roughly the same. In other words, an awful lot of parents in Dunshaughlin choose to send their children to Gaelscoil na Rithe. Across Dublin the major supermarkets acknowledge this by putting all their signs in Irish and English. Super Valu Dunshaughlin? No competition, and therefore no pressure to make the effort for its customers. Maybe the same people who insult our intelligence by putting those !! on their prices think we are not educated and cultured enough to appreciate Irish? Tá siad mícheart arís.

Oh and before those of you who don't know the village reply, there was a petition several years ago, which was signed by a large number of people, to bring Lidl into Dunshaughlin. In circumstances which have never been explained the plan was quickly shelved and in the process the obscene profits of Super Valu Dunshaughlin were protected. So "shop elsewhere" doesn't apply when you don't have the transport. It has a monopoly in Dunshaughlin.

Roll on competition in the retail trade in Dunshaughlin, County Meath.

Well, this thread is hopping!
    Looks like that there is general agreement that lack of competition is at the root of the commercial scene in Dunshaughlin.
    Pub-wise, Lawless'es has to be the worst. The guy who owns that and the hardware place next to it doesn't seem too pushed about presentation, to say the least. (I much prefer Madden's for any hardware items I might need, the two men who work there are always very helpful).
    The other pubs are OK, Peters would be my preferred venue, especially for food, compared to the Sibin.
    But my favourite place in the village has to be the library, a real haven of tranquility. (Even if the librarian who is usually there could do with exercising her smile muscles a bit more often!).
    Despite the negatives, overall, I enjoy the convenience of living within a few minutes walk of the village, even for simple things like having access to the ATM, or buying a newspaper in Tara News, without having to drive there.
    It will be interesting to see what effect on the village the opening of the M3 will have, if any, bearing in mind the ridiculous toll charges, but that's the subject of another thread altogether...

CUCINA wrote: »
    Looks like that there is general agreement that lack of competition is at the root of the commercial scene in Dunshaughlin.
    Pub-wise, Lawless'es has to be the worst. The guy who owns that and the hardware place next to it doesn't seem too pushed about presentation, to say the least. (I much prefer Madden's for any hardware items I might need, the two men who work there are always very helpful).
    The other pubs are OK, Peters would be my preferred venue, especially for food, compared to the Sibin.
    But my favourite place in the village has to be the library, a real haven of tranquility. (Even if the librarian who is usually there could do with exercising her smile muscles a bit more often!).
    Despite the negatives, overall, I enjoy the convenience of living within a few minutes walk of the village, even for simple things like having access to the ATM, or buying a newspaper in Tara News, without having to drive there.
    It will be interesting to see what effect on the village the opening of the M3 will have, if any, bearing in mind the ridiculous toll charges, but that's the subject of another thread altogether...

Good posts, Cucina. Well, Lawless's was a great pub in the 80s. I had me first pint there, of Smithwicks and it was £1.49 - the cheapest pint in the place. We then headed up to Bertie Donnelly's The Royal Tavern, known as An Sibín today. After that we headed off to the disco in Summerhill. I was always entertained by the certainty that when you walked in the door of Lawless's everybody would turn around and look at you. Spent years there. Was waiting for the bus there last year, my first time in about 15 years, and my heart sank. Deccy hadn't done a tap of improvement to the place in all the years. The scéal is that Mrs L. doesn't want to give him full control yet until he gets his drinking binges sorted. It is very sad as I like the family and do have a bit of loyalty to them as they are from our community.

Like many other Dunshaughlin people, I wouldn't set foot in any pub owned by Paddy Peters or anybody connected with him. I was kicked out of the County Club at 17 years of age but unlike most others I refused to lower myself by apologising to the gorillas-on-an-egotrip Peters' employed as doormen. My experience was a few years before Patrick Peters and two members of his staff were found guilty of assault, battery and - wait for this - false imprisonment in Trim court in the early 1990s. The two lads whom they kidnapped were awarded £15,000 in compensation. Not many newcomers would know this story, but it shouldn't be hard to find it in the Meath Chronicle archives. The Peters come with a lot of baggage, most of which is a result of their treatment of local lads in the County Club and the connections between them and certain gardaí which led to most allegations not reaching court. In the farming community across Meath and beyond, Paddy Peters is remembered for his activities during the Bank strike in the 1970s, particularly relating to cashing cheques.

It was idiocy on an extraordinarily obtuse scale for the owner of 'Peters' to call the place 'Peters' given the reputation of that family. Most people think it is the same family and avoid it. Catty Ned's was a much better name. Murray's, the original pub on that spot, was a million times better than any pub Dunshaughlin village has today.

I miss Murray's and Gogan's just for the character, the stories, the sense of community and continuity that was captured by the regulars there. It is refreshing to see O'Brien's still there, particularly last night when there were 11 traditional musicians in the place. Dunshauglin badly needs a regular, reliable traditional music night. In the 1980s Lawless's used to have a great trad. seisiún on a Sunday morning. The place would be black with people. It went on for years.

Yeah, Mick (the handballer) is sound in Madden's, as was John but I never see John there now. I haven't been to the library since it was in the Community College but is the non-smiling librarian in question Mae? (blond hair, about 55)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Have to say guys/girls, been living in Navan for years. Moved to carlow recently and everytime I pass through dunsaughlin I see blonde mid 40's/50's women around with dry cleaner bags, big cars and faces done up to the nines!!! Its so weird in such a small village to see it go on. Have I missed something there?

In reply to Daibhi, quite interesting to have some historical background to the pubs in the village so thanks for that...As you might have guessed, I am a "blow-in" (here five and a half years, originally from Dublin).
    Might be slightly off-topic, but sinse I arrived here I have been on the look-out for information on the history of the place. My main discovery in this regard has been a book I picked up in what used to be the antique shop in the village, "Dunshaughlin Through The Years" by John Donoghue and Thomas Englishboy. The front cover shows a photo of the village taken a hundred years ago. (This is partly reproduced as a mural on one of the walls in the Sibin pub). Anyway, it is an interesting read, even though it is a bit rambling, with fascinating photos taken at various times from different ends of the towm etc.
    Also, there is a chap in the Fairyhouse Market who sells historical photos of towns and villages from all over Ireland. I have managed to extricate four or five showing Dunshauglin Main St. One of them, from around the fifties or sixties, highlights Lawless'es pub, with the rest of the main street comprising solely of private houses and not a car in sight. If, as one of the posters on this thread speculates, Dunshaughlin does become a ghost town, perhaps this is what it will revert to!
    Regarding the identity of the librarian, don't know her name...she'd be in her fifties, maybe, alright, bu I think she has red hair!

Peter Duffy owns Peter's... So with originality like that, you can try and excuse his ignorance of calling his pub that:rolleyes:

I've also been told about how Murray's was a far better pub than anywhere around, and yer man just gutted it, every shred of character was taken away.

Lawless' now has a trad session on every Friday, or at least advertises that, and I heard it coming from O'briens, it'd be nince to see it continue.

In response to the search for history, a loca historian, who's name escapes held a talk in the library, Kenny might be his name, he owned the Butchers where Liam Keane is.... Anyway, yeah, he gave/gives interesting talks about the town. He's full of knowledge. There is also a Dunshaughlin Historical society that have meetings on the first Wednesday of every month in the Parish hall... I think they're the details anyway.

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Have to say guys/girls, been living in Navan for years. Moved to carlow recently and everytime I pass through dunsaughlin I see blonde mid 40's/50's women around with dry cleaner bags, big cars and faces done up to the nines!!! Its so weird in such a small village to see it go on. Have I missed something there?

I dunno what your point is really... I suppose it was the cheap housing, and proximity to Dublin. The 'Burbs... We're just lucky we escaped the complete Knackery of Ratoath. Shame what its become.

• Advertisement

CUCINA wrote: »

What's wrong with Lawless' pub?? Lawlesses and the Arch are the only pubs in the village with a bit of character. Lawlesses looks lovely from the outside, they do a great job with the hanging baskets, it looks very inviting. I know the inside leaves a lot to be desired but, as someone Dáibhí said, apparently Mrs Lawless is reluctant to pay out to get it done up. However he is wrong in saying Deccy hasn't done a tap to it. They gave it a lovely lick of paint in the past year and have made it look a lot more presentable inside.

I wouldn't set foot in the Síbín, it's full of knobs...staff AND clientele, and Peter's is always so dead it's embarrassing. It's a pity because they did a great job on the place, and the guy who owns it is a lovely guy, but they just have no atmosphere. I did go in there on a Saturday night a few months ago and there was a 2 man band playing down the back. There were 2 couples sitting up the front of the bar and that was it. Felt so bad for the band and the staff! It just has zero atmosphere though.

Carberry's can actually be a nice little bar at times but it's very small and can be very cliquey.

Yeah, Mickey Kenny is the man to talk to about the village's history. He's a sound fella and has great passion for the village. He's very approachable.

The man who took those old photos of Dunshaughlin around 100 years ago was P.J. Murray, the owner of Murray's pub before he passed it on to his son, Brendan Murray. Bren is still alive and lives in the first house on the right after the car sales place (coming from the village). A very decent man, too. The Dunshaughlin branch of Conradh na Gaeilge used to meet for years in Murray's. Don't know where it meets now, but it would be great to join it.

In O'Brien's the other night there was a number of great photos of the town and community going back to the hurling teams in 1905 and 1923. I spent ages soaking them up. For another, older, history of the village try Patsy McLoughlin's and Jim Gilligan's Black and Amber, which was published in 1984 on the centenary of the GAA and has a fantastic number of photos of the village - again, many are from P.J. Murray's collection but they also went around interviewing everybody who was alive then and connected with the village and GAA.

There was a massacre in the village in the 1640s. You'll hear the old villagers talk about it. It has a huge presence in the local folklore with the story of the villagers who were taking in the harvest in Bonestown, being cut down by Cromwell's forces on the way back from Drogheda (Sept 11 1649) before they reached the sanctuary of St Seachnall's Church. However, the puritans rather than Cromwell were actually responsible and it happened in 1642, before Cromwell's forces arrived. But the massacre did actually happen:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=9TN_SszjBaP8yATKjenFCg&q=Dunshaughlin+massacre&btnG=Search+Books

It's odd that the only marker in the village to it is in the local folklore.

There was also loads of activity (and bloodshed) in the village in the 1790s, hence the name 'Gallow's Hill' in the village (the little hill at the side of O'Briens linking the Trim and Navan roads. But that's a history for another day.

Funnily enough, the Macaris have some of PJ Murray's photos on display in the Village Grill restaurant! The Síbín also have a few of them blown up on their walls.

IRcolm wrote: »
    I've also been told about how Murray's was a far better pub than anywhere around, and yer man just gutted it, every shred of character was taken away.

Yeah, when we were young you could go into Murrays and get bags of sweets off Bren from plastic containers. He poured the sweets onto a weighing scales until you were satisfied, or did a mix and match with sweets from loads of the containers. Originally he used to make the paper into a cone shape and pour the sweets into it, but then they got fancy and gave you little paper bags. Val O Brien in O'Briens (Mick's auld lad) also used to pour the sweets into a cone-shaped paper. They had Cola Cubes, Iced Caramels and loads of stuff. You could also get hardware stuff downstairs in Murray's pub; upstairs was the drapery. Inside Murray's looked like Toner's in Baggot Street with that old dark brown bar counter. You walked in the main, front, door, and in front of you up the stairs was the drapery, to the right was, I think, the living quarters, and to the left was the pub. You went in the pub door and on your right was that old dark brown bar counter like James Toner's, going around in a curve. On the left along the side walls was loads of paint for sale. At the front of the pub was a long seat and it turned and went along the side wall of the entire pub. There was then an old brown partition and you opened the door and walked up a couple of steps and the bigger lounge part of the pub was there. They used to have a horse shoe-throwing game on the back wall. A great pint, as was Gogan's, but Murray's had more character even if Gogan's often had more characters.

Lawless' now has a trad session on every Friday, or at least advertises that, and I heard it coming from O'briens, it'd be nince to see it continue.

Great to hear. Must check it out, and the new paint job. Once a seisiún gets established the crowd will come to it. It's nice to know for certain that there will be a seisiún on in at least one pub on a particular day each week.

PS: There was a great tradition between Murrays and Carberrys every year. Old Willie Carbery owned Carberry's but never opened it. However, he apparently needed to serve one pint each year in order to keep his licence so in would come Bren Murray from next door, where Willie was a regular, and give Willie the pint and Willie, behind the counter, would serve it to Bren. That was the story all those years ago anyway.

Funnily enough, the Macaris have some of PJ Murray's photos on display in the Village Grill restaurant! The Síbín also have a few of them blown up on their walls.

There's a great little shop on the northside of the quays in Dublin that sells photographs of every town and village across Ireland. You just walk in and look under the 'Meath' photos and then 'Dunshaughlin'. I'd say you could buy many if not all of P.J. Murray's old photographs in there.

A quick google and here is the shop in question, the Irish Historical Picture Company :

http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Home.asp

Actually, they seem to be in Lucan. But I am almost certain that is the same name that was on the shop on Ormond Quay that has photos of Meath towns.

Dáibhí wrote: »

There was also loads of activity (and bloodshed) in the village in the 1790s, hence the name 'Gallow's Hill' in the village (the little hill at the side of O'Briens linking the Trim and Navan roads. But that's a history for another day.

There was also murders in the house beside the Court House, with the big Christmas tree outside it. The "Croppies" from the 1798 Rebellion on not gaining much from raiding the barracks which was where Tara News is now, went into that manor, murdered the residents and looted it for weapons, even using the legs of chairs apparently.... is was pretty fruitless. There's a monument to them just past the GAA pitch.

They also planted an Oak Tree on the Gallows hill mentioned, which was dug up in the early 20th century. Terrible shame, would have made a great monument, a tree planted by actual United Irirshmen, or rebels at least...

Interesting to read above the snippets of info on the history of the village... Last year (or was it the year before, not sure) Mick Kenny led a group of people (around 25/30) on a walk to Trevet, a couple of kilometres outside the town, which was very enjoyable, it being a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon. There are some ruins of a church and a graveyard beside it, now overgrown. He was telling us of a massacre that took place there a long time ago where the church, crowded with terrified people, was set on fire and those who escaped were attacked and killed with arrows. It was hard to imagine all of that actually happened, right where we sat around on old grave-stones etc.
    Met a couple of other people on the tour who also had their own stories etc. One chap, a retired teacher, was telling me that he moved from Wexford to Dunshaughlin in the 70's, and he was telling me that there was very little happening in the town at that time, so lots of things seem to happen in cycles, boom/bust, nothing new..
    I didn't realise that there are regular meeting of the Historical Society in the village, I thought that the trip I went on was a one-off so I'll check it out further 'one of these fine days"...

Then there's just the entire culture of the shop. Goods offered at a 'discount price' are regularly charged at their 'normal' price when you actually go to the till. The staff then mumble something about "it should have been changed" blah blah blah. Every single thing you buy in that shop, check that the price you are paying is the price that was advertised. The amount of people who have experienced this is not funny.

You can't blame the people at the til for the pricing mess, there's nothing they can do about it, tis the muppets in the scanning office that need a kicking, yes the checkout people work for the store but it's not like there's anything they can do about it other than clarify the price so on behalf of all checkout operators can I just say - don't bother wasting your breath giving out to us, all that'll do is help you vent, we can't do anything about it and it's not like complaining to US will do any good, look for the guys in the shirts and ties and give them the lecture, we're just paid(very badly) to scan the stuff and we have to shop there too so we know it's a ripoff.
    And then there is the simple but thoughtful things which are entirely absent in that shop entirely due to a lack of competition in the village. For instance, the Gaelscoil in Dunshaughlin was a few years ago bigger than the National School. Now, since St Seachnall's got its extension, both schools are roughly the same. In other words, an awful lot of parents in Dunshaughlin choose to send their children to Gaelscoil na Rithe. Across Dublin the major supermarkets acknowledge this by putting all their signs in Irish and English. Super Valu Dunshaughlin? No competition, and therefore no pressure to make the effort for its customers. Maybe the same people who insult our intelligence by putting those !! on their prices think we are not educated and cultured enough to appreciate Irish? Tá siad mícheart arís.

That would serve no purpose other than to placate what is in all seriousness a small minority of the town's population. Really should have signs in English,Polish,Lithuanian and Portugese. That would be far more useful.

That would serve no purpose other than to placate what is in all seriousness a small minority of the town's population. Really should have signs in English,Polish,Lithuanian and Portugese. That would be far more useful.

You must evidently wish it were a "small minority" but the attendance figures for Gaelscoil na Rithe tell a very different story about the views of, at least, a very large minority of Dunshaughlin parents - if not still a majority of parents. Aside from that most obvious demographic fact, there is the support for the language given by people like me who went to the local National School (there being no alternative), and more broadly by the local GAA and its supporters. "Small minority" indeed. Do you actually live here?

Nevertheless, seeing that you want to pit immigrants against Irish people here, it seems Super Valu has no problem linguistically "placating" Poles or Lithuanians in the village, if the existence of signs already in those languages in that shop are anything to go by. But amazing how some people are keen on linguistically "placating" newcomers to this society (a genuinely tiny minority in Dunshaughlin) but get all outraged when it comes to linguistically "placating" those of us who have been born and bred here in Ireland (and in my case Dunshaughlin) by putting signs up in Irish as well as English. Bend over backwards to accommodate the newcomers and their language, but explicitly exclude the native Irish and the Irish language. So the mentality runs. Maybe in some nether region of Irish society this mentality is considered "cool" - to most people it's just bigotry that makes a mockery out of pretensions to being open minded. Pathetic.

• Advertisement

There was also murders in the house beside the Court House, with the big Christmas tree outside it. The "Croppies" from the 1798 Rebellion on not gaining much from raiding the barracks which was where Tara News is now, went into that manor, murdered the residents and looted it for weapons, even using the legs of chairs apparently.... is was pretty fruitless. There's a monument to them just past the GAA pitch.

I presume you are talking about Murphy's old house, the big long house in vernacular Irish style immediately to the right of the courthouse as you leave the court? I never heard that, or I vaguely did hear it. But I know at least 7 suspects to ask for a refresher course! Thanks.

Now that I think of it, I wonder who was in that house in 1798. I'm fairly certain going on Penal Law restrictions on Catholic ownership of property that it wasn't Murphys. Must check it out.

Yeah, I've never been down O'Reilly's Lane (next to the GAA pitch), although I smoked many a Carroll's No. 1 in the ditch between the College and the pitch. Must go down in someday to see that monument.
    They also planted an Oak Tree on the Gallows hill mentioned, which was dug up in the early 20th century. Terrible shame, would have made a great monument, a tree planted by actual United Irirshmen, or rebels at least...

Now that is news. Another question to put to they-who-know-these-things.

As an inkling of how nasty 1798 can still get in the village, a guy told me last year about a certain family in Dunshaughlin - names were given! - who were paid by the British to supply alcohol to the hundreds of insurgents on the Hill of Tara in May 1798, before the Brits closed in and took control of it.

Advertisement