Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin=Recession free zone?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mmaammy

Well it's nice to see new business anywhere at the moment, it brings new life and new hope to an area. The new gift shop in dunshaughlin should survive it has very reasonable prices and unusual stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

mmaammy wrote: »
    Well it's nice to see new business anywhere at the moment, it brings new life and new hope to an area. The new gift shop in dunshaughlin should survive it has very reasonable prices and unusual stuff .

It won't last. Its never open, by the owners choice, not that it is already struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gift shops are a recipe for disaster. I've lost count of the number of those types of shops that have started up and closed down in Dunshaughlin.

Does anyone know when the bloody Indian is opening? They're teasing me at this stage :o Although I DID see an ad in the paper looking for an Indian chef in Dunshaughlin, so obviously they're having some staffing problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Gift shops are a recipe for disaster. I've lost count of the number of those types of shops that have started up and closed down in Dunshaughlin.

Does anyone know when the bloody Indian is opening? They're teasing me at this stage :o Although I DID see an ad in the paper looking for an Indian chef in Dunshaughlin, so obviously they're having some staffing problems!

I was going past the Indian earlier today and there were guys painting etc so hopefully we'll have a bit of competition for Macari's soon.
    I see that there is another euro shop opened, on the main st. Not much in it, less than the one at the other end of the street (and that's no great shakes either).
    Incidentally, I went up to the garage this evening (the one opposite the Arch bar, can't remember its name) to check the tyre pressure and they have installed a new set up, a big improvement. (I hate driving when I think the tyres are below the normal pressure). It must be the only place for miles where you can check your tyres.

Praise the Lord! The Indian take-away is finally open! (Bit of a religious conflict there but we won't go into that!). I emerged from the pub this evening glowing from a victory for the ABU's this evening when I noticed a queue of people waiting to sample Dunshaughlin's latest culinary offering. Best of luck to this new venture...hopefully it will give a kick in the proverbials to our Macari friends a couple of doors down...Won't sample it myself this evening having been to the Snailbox earlier today but will be a customer of their's before too long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ah, must head in there sometime its only down the road from myself :) Anyone know when Dynastys back open? Saw it being done up the other day. Making me hungry :pac:

Yep the Indian opened last night, went in to get a menu and it was packed! Good luck to them, menu looks great and they only charge €1 for local delivery and €2 to Ratoath! Will have to sample it this weekend coming!

Dynasty have a sign up looking for staff, and they're doing a lot of work on the place. Surprised they're re-opening, no one I know ever liked the food from there and I didn't think they did great. Although I heard it might be under new management so that could be good. I hope they do some Thai dishes, a lot of Chineses do these days and it's nice to have a bit of variety. Golden Phoenix has had the same menu forever and I'm a bit sick of it!

Well, I was one of the punters on the queue last in the "Eastern Spices" Indian take-away in Dunshaughlin and it was packed. The chap taking the orders at the counter was completely over-whelmed, they were coming at him from all angles, kinda felt sorry for him.
    I placed my order at 7:00pm and he said it would take half an hour so I left and came back at 8:00. Still not ready, he was still trying to cope with people at the counter, taking phone orders, getting the delivery guy organised, running up and down the stairs to collect the bags of food etc.
    8:30pm...still not ready. At this stage most of the customers had been waiting around for an hour and, like me, were just bemused at what was going on. We were all comrades in protest, heard one chap say, "I'd've walked to India and back at this stage!"
    Then the call came from the kitchen upstairs, "take no more orders on the phone", so the phone was ignored and it just rang non-stop. 9:00pm finally received my order.
    One or two customers had previously run out of patience (surprise! surprise!) and said they were going to Macari's. But I have set my face against ever walking into Macari's again until I hear reports that they have smartened up their act.
    Obviously, ES had not anticipated the level of demand for their product and I'd make allowances for them seeing as it is only their first week-end in business. Despite the farce of last night, I still wish them the best because the village badly needs the competition.

CUCINA wrote: »
    Well, I was one of the punters on the queue last in the "Eastern Spices" Indian take-away in Dunshaughlin and it was packed. The chap taking the orders at the counter was completely over-whelmed, they were coming at him from all angles, kinda felt sorry for him.
    I placed my order at 7:00pm and he said it would take half an hour so I left and came back at 8:00. Still not ready, he was still trying to cope with people at the counter, taking phone orders, getting the delivery guy organised, running up and down the stairs to collect the bags of food etc.
    8:30pm...still not ready. At this stage most of the customers had been waiting around for an hour and, like me, were just bemused at what was going on. We were all comrades in protest, heard one chap say, "I'd've walked to India and back at this stage!"
    Then the call came from the kitchen upstairs, "take no more orders on the phone", so the phone was ignored and it just rang non-stop. 9:00pm finally received my order.
    One or two customers had previously run out of patience (surprise! surprise!) and said they were going to Macari's. But I have set my face against ever walking into Macari's again until I hear reports that they have smartened up their act.
    Obviously, ES had not anticipated the level of demand for their product and I'd make allowances for them seeing as it is only their first week-end in business. Despite the farce of last night, I still wish them the best because the village badly needs the competition.

That's a pity, I hope people give them a chance and understand that it was just teething problems on their first night. They probably should have opened mid-week to give themselves a chance to get used to a slow build-up of customers. I'm going to leave it a while before I try it out, just to give them a time to settle down a bit!

Anyway, most importantly...how was the food?! And will you be ordering again?

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read your post...do you mean you were there on the opening night or last night? If it was last night then that's not great form nearly a week in, hope they get their act together soon.

That's a pity, I hope people give them a chance and understand that it was just teething problems on their first night. They probably should have opened mid-week to give themselves a chance to get used to a slow build-up of customers. I'm going to leave it a while before I try it out, just to give them a time to settle down a bit!

Anyway, most importantly...how was the food?! And will you be ordering again?

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read your post...do you mean you were there on the opening night or last night? If it was last night then that's not great form nearly a week in, hope they get their act together soon.

I was there on Friday evening last, which I think was their first Friday night opening. In answer to your question, we weren't really in full appreciation mode given the circumstances so judgment on the food is reserved! Suffice to say that all three of us partaking left empty plates. I will certainly go back but perhaps with a less sympathic attitude if they are in as much a tizzy as last Friday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Seems to me(from walking home from work at about 9 every night) that things have quietened down considerably, wasn't a soul in the place the last three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

was in the indians sunday night ,they were busy ,met a lad i know so i didnt notice the wait for the food ,
    the food was ok ,got a lamb korma ,was a bit tasteless

GDM wrote: »
    Seems to me(from walking home from work at about 9 every night) that things have quietened down considerably, wasn't a soul in the place the last three nights.

Could be more to do with the current meteorological climate rather than the economic type, perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Fair point. Wouldn't mind trying it myself but it seems a bit pricey and to be honest knowing what goes into an Indian dish(from the description on the menu) seems to put me off.

Anyone try Dynasty(if it's still called that since it reopened), think they've a new chef.

I tried the Indian a few weeks ago and it was yummy. Had a lamb dish and it was so tender. It IS a bit pricier than a Chinese, but it's nice for something different.

The Chinese formally known as Dynasty is now called Dragon! Haven't tried it, but my friend did and she said it's lovely. Seems to have a pretty varied menu, including Thai dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Its gorgeous ibarelycare :D

Yep, lots of thai and I think there might be a Japanese dish or two, i'll let you know!

And they've deserts, lots of ''snack boxes'' etc. Very clean inside.

Tasty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 billybacon

Dáibhí wrote: »
    PS: You know the scariest family in the history of Dunshaughlin as far as surviving old natives are concerned is the Cooke family. The "ghost of Rowley Cooke" is legend. An 83-year-old was telling me the other day that his father had to put the blindfolds over his horse's eyes every time he rode by Cooke's on the way back to the village from Drumree. Cooke's was the first old house on the right-hand side as you leave Dunshaughlin for Drumree (after the v where you go straight on for Killeen/Dunsany). It was owned by one Colonel Newell in the 1980s. It's surrounded by trees and is haunted as bedamned. Don't know who lives there nowadays.

My Dad and his brother convinced us as kids that they saw a dog with red eyes there when they were children.... we used to cycle past at breakneck speed on our way home from Warrenstown with our eyes barely open in case we saw anything!! I have carried on the tradition with my girls and they scream at me to drive past quickly if we're passing on our way home in the dark!! Naturally, I slow down.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

I think it is still owned and lived in by Newell's. The house has got very cutoff with the new slip road

So in just a few month's time, the M3 will finally be open. It will be interesting to see if the volume of traffic on it will satisfy the toll collectors.
    But what effect will it have on the village? Easier to cross the road, less noise generally? And maybe less pressure on parking spaces (if less people from north of Dunshaughlin park up here and continue their journey to the city-centre on the 109)?
    But will it have a negative effect commercially? I suspect that the shops don't depend too much on "passing through" trade, although I could be wrong about that.
    Presumably, it's going to be more pleasant to walk around the village so maybe more pedestrians would benefit the shop-owners.
    What do others think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 setsail

I sincerely hope the traffic eases off through Dunshaughlin when the M3 opens. It's a nightmare to walk along and cross the road. I do agree with an earlier post saying that people won't pay the toll and continue to pass through Dunshauglin - I know I will!
    Is the Indian just a take out or can you dine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Just take out.

Advertisement