Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Request to use my photograph on Website

• 01-08-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a quick question. I received a pm on boards today about a photograph of mine. The person who contacted me was requesting to use my photo in a website that they are developing.It is for the locality that i am originally from and i'm wondering what route i should take when granting permission? Can you lot help? Should i :

1. Donate the photograph considering the website is about my original locality and homeplace.

2. Offer the photograph for free once it links back to my website or pix.ie account.

3. Invoice them and sell the rights of the photograph to them.

4. None of the above and in which case a new idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

give them a link to this:

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phonlrat.html

ask them if they are willing to pay ? if not then you know where you stand.

if they are not willing to pay then you need to consider if its worth your while getting credit on the photo or a link (its unlikely that a professional business website will give you either a link/credit) ....or negotiate a decent fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd go for 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Would the 'quality' of the photo have an influence on your decision ? ie. if it was one of my better ones, I know I'd like to get paid/recognition for it, but if its a bog standard photo then I'd give it for free but would like to be associated with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

PCPhoto wrote: »
    give them a link to this:

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phonlrat.html

ask them if they are willing to pay ? if not then you know where you stand.

if they are not willing to pay then you need to consider if its worth your while getting credit on the photo or a link (its unlikely that a professional business website will give you either a link/credit) ....or negotiate a decent fee.

Thanks for the link, the rates there are very high and honestly i couldn't justify it myself charging that as i know the photograph isn't up to scratch to justify that price tag.

PC Photo is from old school where they want more money than a FF TD's brown envelope would hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I was only posting the prices as a guide - to show they what they "Should" pay.

after you give them that list of prices - you can negotatiate a proper payment. ( A lot of businesses dont know what to pay the price list is a guide for both photographer and business')

I'd like to think that I'm "old skool" but I regularly give sites my pics, actually got a call during the week from a publisher for a french magazine which is something to do with the leaving cert - told the guy just give me a credit on the pic....it goes to print in Sept I think.

last pics that I gave to a website is also U2: http://www.state.ie/u2-croke-park-dublin-saturday/

Slightly offended by the comment AR..... I'm only 30 !!!

AR is AR, ignore him.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

If the site not commercial I'd be inclined to donate it. If the site is commercial definitely charge. I had someone ask me to use a pic for a brochure recently. This person's business and others would be included so it was a commercial venture dressed up as a tourist brochure. I asked if the printer was getting paid? Some people have no cop when it comes to photos.

That said, if there is any community type aspect to something I'll always gladly give stuff free. I don't like people being presumptuous though.

Advertisement