Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard

Options
  • 01-08-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi, im a newbie when it comes to plasterboard/walls etc,

im looking to put up a shelve on the last wall that is spare in my bedroom, all other walls are concrete, but this wall is plasterboard, i have tried without success to put a shelve on it.

My query is:

are plasterboard attached to some sort of wooden post with nails or studs, if yes, how do i go about locating these posts, is there an electronical device or do all builders follow a certain measurement that i can measure myself to locate these posts.

Thanks, hopefully i explained that ok.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Yes there is a stud detector that you can buy(about 40 or 50 euro)or you could just get some drywall plugs which will hold up the majority of shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You could buy a stud detector, but you should be able to identify the studs without it.....

You will probably be able to see the marks where the back of the nails/screws have been filled, if you look closely enough at the wall...

You can just get a small screw driver / bradaul and make a series of holes till you find the stud... the small holes will be very easily filled...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Some walls are framed out and the plaster board is screwed/nailed in place. On the other hand as I've found out it can also be dot and Dab, this is where the palsterboard is stuck to the wall with an adhesive.
    A stud finder will find the timber stud if it is there. If not you'll have to try and find it.

There is loads of drywall fixtures on the market, alot better than Rawl plugs. Plus what is the shelf been used to hold, that will be the deciding question as to how the shelf is fixed to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

thanks for all your replies, i have come across these:

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=34

it looks to be the easiest option and simple enough to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I guess no one has asked how much weight are you going to put on the shelves?

If there's studs behind the plaster board, fix on to these with some nice long wood screws and your shelves should be fairly robust. (my preferred method)

If securing to plaster board use as many fixings as you can, but the shelves would never be as strong as if they were going right into the stud work.

The "butter-fly" fixing you linked to above will work, provided there is enough space behind the plasterboard. I would use something like these:-
    http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=34

• Advertisement

I guess no one has asked how much weight are you going to put on the shelves?
    The "butter-fly" fixing you linked to above will work, provided there is enough space behind the plasterboard. I would use something like these:-
    http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=34

Thanks for that Link, im gonna go with those, i did not know such screws existed.

About the weight, im putting a shelving unit capable of holding about 1000 DVDs, that im custom building, i will probably use several of those self-drill screws for maximum safety.

Well, I have the shelve utility up and is so sturdy thanks to you DublinDilbert and those plasterboard screws. Many thanks.

Advertisement