Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue instaling amd phenom 955 cooler

Options
  • 01-08-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

I'm having problems installing the cooler that came with this cpu. It seems it won't fit as the hooks won't go down far enough. Ie if i get the hook attached on one side, the one on the other side is no longer able to reach down far enough. Is it ok to 'bend' the retention bar to make it fit as I can't see any other way.

I also lifted the cooler off the cpu in my efforts to fix this and I'm wondering do I now have to reapply some thermal paste or is it ok just to put it back on again?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The retention bar on AM* coolers is meant to be bent down almost flat, to insure maximum pressure pushing the heatsink down on the CPU. It does require quite a bit of force to bend it far enough to get the far clip on its peg.

If the thermal pad has been badly compromised (i.e. dried up or partially removed) you will have to clean both the heatsink and CPU with an appropriate agent (isopropyl alcohol) and apply fresh aftermarket thermal paste before reattaching the cooler (or any cooler lacking its own thermal pad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

I think there was definitely an issue with the heatsink I got. I was applying serious force and it just wouldn't go down far enough. In the end i had to unscrew one side of the mount and lift it up a bit so I could get the hook underneath it.

Is there any decent guides out there on putting a pc together as the documentation that came with my components is completely crap, I thought putting a pc together these days was supposed to be easy, obviously not when the instructions dont tell you where half the wires go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

bSlick wrote: »
    Is there any decent guides out there on putting a pc together as the documentation that came with my components is completely crap, I thought putting a pc together these days was supposed to be easy, obviously not when the instructions dont tell you where half the wires go.

It is very easy IF you bother to do enough research before hand....
    (even better if you can get 2nd had junk pcs to play with and reassemble)

Google "how to build a pc" and funnily enough you will find plenty of guides on how to build a pc....

EXAMPLE:http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671/1

Look on extremetech, tomshardware, bit-tech, anandtech, hardocp, any number of tech sites and I'm sure you will find a guide to suit.

Sorry to hear your documentation is lacking: the last few PCs I have built had good motherboard manuals that would pretty much breast feed ya, fairly good manuals are usually the norm these days.

Push pin cpu coolers have always been pain for me anytime I have had to install them, they never go on 100% right for me, at this stage I use 3rd party coolers that use a backing plate as I would rather have a cooler I can screw in, in a few mins VS playing with push pin for 45mins, skinning my knuckles and using up all the swear words I know:pac:.

Advertisement