Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palaeontology Holiday

• 01-08-2009 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey. I was just wondering does anyone here have any experience of those digs in the U.S.A. that you can pay to take part in. I've heard that the practice is frowned upon by some as people are often not given the proper training and sometimes bones end up damaged. Is it also true that most of the companies offering these deals tend to sell on whatever they find to private collectors rather than museums. I really like to give it a go sometime, but I'd only want to take part if it was being run by a reputable firm, college or museum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You should be very careful about which one you take on. Your best bet is to make sure it is run by a respectable palaeontologist (check their history, make sure they are qualified, no dodgy background etc.).
    Most palaeontologists will bring their students/aspiring palaeontologists on their digs (people they know they can trust).
    Some of these packages offer in depth training before actually letting you on a dig site, to avoid damaging fossils etc.

Advertisement