Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TK Maxx

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Magnus wrote: »
    Great, another UK high street shops comes to chip away at Galways' uniqueness.
    LOL.

just lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

I reckon it will be sooner. Drooled over some Luella handbags today. Looks finished and almost stocked apart from some rubbish and boxes lying around. Anyone ever hear of those jobs for it being advertised? I'm confident they are all filled but it must have been thru agencies..

Advertised in the Galway Advertiser just a few weeks ago. Worth knocking on the door though and handing in a cv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

Have to agree with you Galway has lost so much of its charm to the big english retail stores. Wouldnt be so bad if they were all housed together in retail parks outside the innercity. Shop street is terrible imo no quirky stand alone shops left there.

mallett wrote: »
    Have to agree with you Galway has lost so much of its charm to the big english retail stores. Wouldnt be so bad if they were all housed together in retail parks outside the innercity. Shop street is terrible imo no quirky stand alone shops left there.

I'd gladly give up our 'uniqueness' and 'charm' if it means that I'm not getting ripped off by some of the local merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mallett wrote: »
    Have to agree with you Galway has lost so much of its charm to the big english retail stores.

RIP, Una Taffe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

See, I don't think a town's charm is dependent on its retailers. That's a very materialistic view of the world.

I think Galway's architecture, geography, irish language/music/culture are what make it unique.

There will always be Galway artisans. There will always be a market for that - but for the normal, every day stuff, I'm perfectly happy to pay less to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

its not materialistic at all at all. Of course charm lies with retailers.... along with artisans and geography culture etc as u say.

As for paying less.... it needs to start from the top and work its way down to the ground level which aint happin from what I see and read.

C todays Indo

well, forgive me then so for not being charmed by the price of an average t-shirt in a Galway retailer vs. a high street shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is dependant on the shops for its charm. See Brightons "Lanes" area or Londons' Soho or Temple Bar in Dublin.
    Grafton street has shops but no charm, tourists take photos of Shop street.

I think it has more to do with how much nicer shop street's architecture and aesthetic is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, because it has less high street shops than Limerick, Cork etc
    It's only a matter of time unfortunately before Treasure Chest turns into another Boots, Starbucks, H&M, ...
    Do you think the nice architecture will remain once the shops change? No, because an o2/Boots/... shop look the same everywhere you go.

The vast majority of the shops on shop street are already high street ones, or they're at least modern. It's the tops of the buildings that are unique. Shop fronts look the same whether they're high street or not - especially visitors from outside of Ireland/UK won't know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

is anyone else reallllllyyyy looking forward to this! Because I cant wait! I hope the homewares is big :rolleyes: Usually go to Limerick for a big shop before Xmas, now I wont have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So it'll be open this weekend then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I believe that most of the employment was done thru Fás.

and the pay isn't great apparently.

As a city, the retail facilities in Galway are pretty dire. Letterkenny and Tralee have a better choice and selection, and they're both towns!! A little more retail development wouldn't hurt Galway, or damage the likes of Shop street. With proper planning I would imagine a more retail focussed Shop st et al would look something like the high street in the City of York or Oxford in the UK. both have retained their historic charm yet offer proper range and choice; of which Galway lacks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Opening thur ya. its good but im sceptical..i bought 2 tops in tk in sligo and after washing them...in a 30 wash..they went out of shape..i would imagine alot of these clothes are bad 2nds. but the homewear stuff is nice

Opening thur ya. its good but im sceptical..i bought 2 tops in tk in sligo and after washing them...in a 30 wash..they went out of shape..i would imagine alot of these clothes are bad 2nds. but the homewear stuff is nice

By law a shop is obliged to state if an item is a second.

If I accurately followed the care instructions for the garment and that happened to me with any of my clothes regardless of where I bought them I would take them back and look for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Well i bought them in sligo..and for 2 tops..i didnt tink it was worth it. speakin of shoppers rights.. a few yrs back when i didnt know any better..i was a young one!!.. i bought a trousers in a particular expensive clothes shop for teenagers/younger people in the galway shopping centre..the pants tore after i wore it..all the thread came apart at the seam.i complained and they wouldnt give me a refund!! she said because it could be mended and they cold do it for me!!!..i couldnt get a refund therefore...I have since found out that this is illegal!! cheek.
    Overall the quality of clothes..even expensive stff is way below standard i think.

Anyway..looking forward to tk maxx anyway!! If for only a browse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Looking forward to TK Maxx..saw some lovely handbags in the window! Reckon the stock won't be that great for the initial opening, have a feeling they'll let people impulse buy and then bring out better stuff for the Christmas. Either way I'm hooked, I have bought some great pairs of shoes and handbags in there over the years in their other outlets....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I cant see the fasicination with TK maxx,its all last seasons designer labels and shi.e that wouldnt sell first time round.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kinetic wrote: »
    shi.e that wouldnt sell first time round.

It was too expensive first time round...but tkmaxx take care of that obstacle :P, hence the popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

they are cheaper because the wages are poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jurphy1202

Anyone know what Time theyre opening in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Jurphy1202 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Time theyre opening in the morning?

Website says 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

It's opening tomorrow,have fun.

Was just in there; nice shop; probably the nicest they have in the country, plenty of space in all the departments albeit the luggage area is a bit small.

Absolute bedlam in there; I plan on avoiding it now for a few weeks til it settles down.

Has created a bit of a buzz about the place tho; nice to see it :)

yeah I'm going to avoid it for a couple of weeks but from what I could see through the windows I'm very excited about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

dont see what all the fuss is about yet another store whoopie do people can be easily pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Is there much in the way of sports clothing/gear in it?

• Advertisement

dont see what all the fuss is about yet another store whoopie do people can be easily pleased

and you're a big old grump :rolleyes:

Advertisement