Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids self defence questions

• 01-08-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all,

Im just thinking to the future here a little bit. I have two sons, the eldest is 2 1/2 at the mo. What form of self defence would you recommend for an all rounder:confused:
    And in general, how old do you have to be to start learning delf defence, BOXING, MMA, JUDO, MUAY THAI, KEMPO etc etc.

Lastly, Im living in Kinnegad, Co Westmeath so what clubs are in my region
    ( goldenpages are giving me F all results when I do a search )

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

If you're thinking of putting your child into a MA purely for self defence, I would say change the script.

If you're putting your child in to MA for the fun, the fitness, the sport and the social element I would say, chose any of your first four MA's listed. There are different clubs that will take kids on at different ages. Generally though, it is usually around 7 or 8 years old that they begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

If you want your son to learn a MA then he has to enjoy it, so let yourself be guided by the club, not the art. It's better that he spends a year training at something because he likes it than quits the "best self-defence" MA after a month because he hates going. Make sure you pick a club where there are enough other kids around the same age, and where the instructor enjoys teaching kids, and where you can see there is a good relationship between the kids, and between the instructor & the kids.

I would not encourage any kid to start a MA until they are at least 8. It's very difficult for them to learn anything useful when they are younger, and since (statistically) they will give up after 1 year then you should make sure it's a year when they can absorb something. I've taught karate to kids younger than 8 and it's mostly unproductive for both of us!

Keep the faith,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

My daughter started karate (San Da Kempo) at the age of 6, she loved it, almost 5 years later she still does, I would have preferred to start her off with Jiu jitsu or Judo, but the training hall is directly beside her school, so she only has to walk about 20 metres to get there.

I quess the age to start the child off depends on the child and very importantly - the trainer. My daugher's trainer is great with kids and has been introducing his daughter to Karate since she can walk (obviously in a playful manner and without rigid training plans)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Both my kids, girls 6 & 10, have been doing Shotokan Karate for about 5 months now, including a weeks early morning cold training over the winter, and both love it. Just to echo Zen65's point, its all about the club and instructors rather than the style, particularly for the younger ones. The right age to start is also going to depend on the child in question, and if they don't like it, just take them out and get them doing something else.

Advertisement