Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Charger electrical compatibility

Options
  • 01-08-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'd be grateful for accurate advice on this subject!!

I have a USB charger for a Samsung digital camera, I connect the USB 'plug' in to a standard 3 pin eletrical plug & the other end to the Samsung & hey presto. My question relates to the compatibility or otherwise of this gizmo. For instance if I were to use this to charge my new Tomtom satnav am I likely to fry the tomtom? How can I check ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

USB=USB

You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

USB is USB...the voltage is a standard...approx 5V

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only possibility is that the charger doens't supply enough amperage for the other device to work. It won't damage it, it just won't charge/run.

I got a cheap Halfrauds 12V->USB adapter which would run a Pure Highway for about 10 seconds before the Highway turned off; whereas a cheaper eBay chinese jobbie worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Interestingly, from next year USB chargers will become the standard charger for most new phones.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0629/mobilecharger.html

So a Nokia USB charger will be compatible with say a Motorola phone.

It's about time chargers became interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This isn't strictly about USB but is about charging gadgets...

Some intelligent devices may refuse to accept a charge from an unknown charger. My iTouch for example refuses to accept a charge from a 3rd party FM transmitter device even though an iPod Nano has no problem accepting a charge from the same device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement