Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comment and Critique

• 01-08-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought Nikon D5000 camera and started my adventure with photography. Could you please take a look at some of the pictures and comment? I realise that I have a lot to learn and I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You're doing pretty damn good for a beginner.

The Round tower is right smack in the middle of the image in no.1 which is generally a no no composition wise. The cross helps draw your eye away from it tho. Google the Rule of Thirds (and how to often ignore it). Perhaps try it with a tight portrait crop?

I like no. 2 the most. The depth is great. It draws your eye across it down into the valley.

The view of the dragon fly is looking down from the top. This is generally how we look at insects and is often why dramatic angles and in macro shots of bugs work well. (Good luck getting close to one for that tho!)

No. 4: I can't help feeling that if you got down lower that this shot would look better. The problem with that is that you may end up filling the photo with lots of boring sky.
    Then again getting close to the ground with the loose stones in the foreground and a shallow depth of field may work.

No. 5 is quite empty. I would tend to go mad withthe post processing to compensate but that's just me. (Hope you don't mind?)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=86758&stc=1&d=1249161015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

5uspect wrote: »
    No. 5 is quite empty. I would tend to go mad withthe post processing to compensate but that's just me. (Hope you don't mind?)
    Sure I don't! Thanks a lot for the feedback. Taking photo no. 5 I wanted to achieve certain effect and make Wicklow Mountains to look close to the Mongolian plains, but grass on the bottom ruined the effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Actually the 5th one is my favourite. It's difficult to get a decent shot from an empty landscape like that but I like this one, it's almost like a painting.

alb wrote: »
    Actually the 5th one is my favourite.
    How about this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I'm new to photography myself but I'll give you my opinion on them :pac:

1. seems a bit random, you may have been better served taking 2 individual shots, one of the cross and one of the tower

2. good shot but the bit of road really draws the eye away from the rest on the scene

3. the dragon fly is lost in the shot, try getting in closer and setting the lens to it's lowest aperture value, once you focus on the dragonfly this will give you a nice blurred background and really highlight the subject

4. as said above could be slightly improved by getting a bit lower, but i like it as is

5. my favourite of your shots, the sky gives a nice dramatic look to the scene, can't think of any criticisms for this one :D

familiarise yourself with the instruction book and learn how adjusting the different settings will affect your shots, circular polarised filters can have a dramatic effect on landscape shots and can be picked up very cheaply, keep up the good work

• Advertisement

Thanks. Sometimes (well, quite often ;) ) I have a feeling that "something's wrong with the picture" but with no idea of what would fix it. Have a few photos that look pretty good, but I think it's a matter of luck rather than my own skill and that's why I really appreciate any feedback and ideas.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    How about this one?

I think I prefer the one you posted first.

Do you have a Flickr or Pix.ie account?
    Its a good way to get loads more feedback and you can put a link in your sig.

EDIT: Had another go at no.5.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=86773&stc=1&d=1249215831

I do tend to overdo things a bit tho :o.

I have a few photos on Picasa at www.picasaweb.google.com/tomsters

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Loving the ones of St Annes park, grew up there and they're the best shots of the place I've ever seen!

• Advertisement

Loving the ones of St Annes park, grew up there and they're the best shots of the place I've ever seen!
    Thank you. I'l try to get some more over the weekend. Ireland is a beutifull, magic place...

By the way, where would you recommend to go in search of some decent shots? Howth, St. Anne's Park, North Bull Island, Portmarnock... any ideas around the Northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

number 1: mirror it with that digital software stuff, so the stone starts on the left, we are trained to read left to right, unless you are Asian or Arabic. IT will improve it

number 2 has impressive tones and detail, try cropping it a few ways and one crop will stand out for you

Overall, Remember you take pictures for your pleasure and not others, if you like them that is enough, if others do that is a bonus. never stop having fun trying mad things

Take a look at the attached photo. I find it awsome. I love the distant medieval buildings, the river, the green... It looks like I went back in time, when there were no student trips, no money, no TV, no chaos - but magic, Celts, druids, ancient warriors and forest (has anyone played Heroes of Might&Magic series?)...

Fair enough, but at the same time this picture seems to be a bit "naive", sort of very "beginner" if you know what I mean... Not sure if it's just my impresson, or if there is "something" that comes with years of experience... What's missing?

I think you you're own worst critic.

Its the kind of shot that would also work well as a painting.

I think you you're own worst critic.
    It's my way to perfection :)

Hey, got a few new ones today... Take a look and please point out what you like/dislike about them.

Ah, by the way - none of these were touched by Photoshop or any other software except Nikon ViewNX which I used to change RAW inages to JPEG. Lens: Sigma 55-200 with manual focus, zoom and no VR.

09-08-23_021.JPG

09-08-23_016.JPG

09-08-23_020.JPG

09-08-23_022.JPG

09-08-23_009.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

EDIT: Had another go at no.5.

I do tend to overdo things a bit tho :o.

A nice rework of a good shot , thumbs up

Advertisement