Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC Front Door opens 'out' ?? Can you convert ?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I am looking at a house at the moment and the front door opens 'out' .. Rather puzzled ? As the inside hall is quite roomy.....You'd expect it to open in...

I asked the auctioneer 'why' and it he had no answer for me ..

The auctioneer casually said 'oh you can convert that'.. But .. Can you ?

Or would I have to purchase and fit a new front door and frame?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

OB1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I honestly dont know but the lad that done mine was very reasonable. PM me if you want his number. Thanks

PS: If you really like the house I would not let it go because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'll go along with the take-out-and-turn-the-frame answer you got on another forum site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I wouldn't imagine it is that easy to do. If you were going to take out the frame and turn it around you would be creating a big mess as the frame is partially plastered into the wall so you will have to get a plasterer/handyman to tidy that up when it is finished.

Then your door would hinge from the other side, which may be worse than opening out! It may now open into a wall, but without seeing it nobody would know that.

Also the letterbox, is that the same each side of the door? Is the internal side the same as external?

Another is security. Has your door got glass in it? If so, there is a bead built in to the door so you can't take out the glass from the outside. This would now be on the inside, which would mean your glass could be taken out from the outside!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the door opening out, OP, and certainly don't let it put you off the house!

Advertisement