Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text scam wtf?

• 01-08-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Welcome to Foneclub ! you have joined Foneclub and are subscribed @ €40/month. 18s+ only. SP Realm 0818286606. text stop to 57700 to unsubscribe

Anyone tell me whats all that about ,got that text earlier after a couple of other wap texts i opened (i didnt know what they were)

I text stop but will i still get caught for €40 ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you ever received anything like this before? Did you text to join or anything like that? Can you give more info about the texts that had wap links

You shouldn't be receiving these without asking for them. If you didnt accept to receive these offers somewhere ou have a case against them. This link will explain a lot to you: http://regtel.ie/unsubscribe.php

Read this and if you have any more questions just ask.

I would be texting stop very quick, has the €40 being taken from your credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Davy wrote: »
    Have you ever received anything like this before? Did you text to join or anything like that? Can you give more info about the texts that had wap links

You shouldn't be receiving these without asking for them. If you didnt accept to receive these offers somewhere ou have a case against them. This link will explain a lot to you: http://regtel.ie/unsubscribe.php

Read this and if you have any more questions just ask.

I would be texting stop very quick, has the €40 being taken from your credit?

cheers for the reply

i never ask to join anything like this before as far as im aware

i dont have a pre pay phone its a bill one from meteor

i have text stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well if you haven't, you can report it to regtel either post or email. Both address are on the link i posted.

Check your account online to see if the money has been debited, wont be able till tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

contact your network provider.. they should be able to help u

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Regtel are useless in any event. They are being disbanded and their alleged role will be taken over by Comreg.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Welcome to Foneclub ! you have joined Foneclub and are subscribed @ €40/month. 18s+ only. SP Realm 0818286606. text stop to 57700 to unsubscribe

Anyone tell me whats all that about ,got that text earlier after a couple of other wap texts i opened (i didnt know what they were)

I text stop but will i still get caught for €40 ?

Thanks in advance

Would a "friend" have subscribed you to this service, when you weren't looking, as a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

i got a few of them random mms to my phone. i deleted them straight away. i reckon if you open them you're subscribing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Did you actually read the push message? I get these every few days, I then post off the SAE to the address given, & 4-6 weeks later they send me €20 fone credit (sometimes more). Not bad for cost of 2 stamps, envelopes + €6 for receiving their premium push text message. I've been doing this for a couple of years. The €1000 prize has been stopped recently, but they always used to give the name and address of the winner.

seriously, this is bull****. your encouraging people to open these messages, leaving them with large bill's with false hopes of making money by sending sae to addresses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Did you actually read the push message? I get these every few days, I then post off the SAE to the address given, & 4-6 weeks later they send me €20 fone credit (sometimes more). Not bad for cost of 2 stamps, envelopes + €6 for receiving their premium push text message. I've been doing this for a couple of years. The €1000 prize has been stopped recently, but they always used to give the name and address of the winner.
    thats some mighty fine shilling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

And how much have you spent in credit over that time. Once you get the service messages you are generally charged, contact your network they can help you unsubscribe unfortunately they won't be in al position to refund you and you'll have to go after Realm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I think receiving €20 credit for €6 + €1.10 in stamps is a fair deal, of course you have to do it within the week or so or else you lose out. (So if you're abroad get a friend to do it or keep your credit below €6!) The O2 website allows you to cancel unwanted messages, I daresay the other mobile networks may have something as well.

I think its blatant daylight robbery, and that these companies should be brought up in court and forced to refund every cent that they steal from innocent people who never consented to said daylight robbery. But thats just my take on it....
    Here's another one: my wife started receiving lottery numbers by a premium message, cost €2.50 a time I think, a couple of years ago. We complained & we were told she had subscribed. As neither of us have ever bought a lottery ticket, I told them it was unlikely. When I enquired they gave the time of the original subscription as about 4am one morning; near enough impossible I would think as we'd both have been asleep then & the phone was never away from us. They cancelled them, but it was a cheek all the same

So is it acceptable to send unsolicited SMS for this 20 euro free credit thing, but its cheeky to send them for lotto numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Phone the service provider and ask how and when you allegedly subscribed. If they give you details, then call your operator and confirm this is the case. If either the service provider does not supply you with this information or the operator cannot confirm this, then email (and follow up with a call) RegTel to tell them that you have been fraudulently subscribed.

In such a scenario - with evidence that you never subscribed and given the particular service provider in question - I can guarantee that RegTel will go to town on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I've been done by these things before.
    Ever seen those internet pop-ups where it asks you to enter your mobile number?
    Once it's typed in, without authorisation or confirmation, you're charged.

There is no verification that the phone number is yours, or requested, you're set-up anyway. More than likely a 'friend' did it, or thought it was funny to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RicardoVerdi

When I got the original message about foneclub, I agreed to it & replied. This may have been by text, or possibly on the 'net, I can't remember. Of course you are correct, it is not acceptable for these companies to send unsolicited premium rate SMS for either the 20 euro free credit thing or lotto numbers, but I was just pointing out that if you follow the directions, you benefit from the €20 credit. I was never asked whether I wanted the lottery numbers.

Advertisement