Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who's the biggest team in Dublin?

• 01-08-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

interesting to see.

i think it is shamrock rovers in terms of potential support and im a bohs fan. if rovers and i hate to say it play their cards right they will be the rosenborg of ireland in 10-15 years time. I can see them building a big support if i'm honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Yeah, you see the thing about this is that the soccer forum is that way.

>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

Eh no, this is a dublin forum and this deals with the biggest club in this city!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

It's Rovers and i'm a Shels fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The biggest team in Dublin is probably the Dublin Gaelic Football team. They have 15 players on their team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In terms of supporters, probably Man U.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stephansplatz

pats need to move to clondalkin and bohs out to finglas. Think 3 teams are the max that dublin can hold. I'm a pats fan and know already that pats don't want to move from their spiritual home. But yes, rovers have the greatest potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Definitely Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Minefield.

In terms of recent success, they seem to rotate every few years.

Historically, I think I'd be right in saying Rovers have had the nost succes down through the years.

In terms of attendances etc, I don't think theres a massive amount between any of the big Dublin clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yunireh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Eh no, this is a dublin forum and this deals with the biggest club in this city!!
    Shamrock Rovers are not in Dublin City. FACT! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Shamrock Rovers are in Dublin. Fact:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Cork City FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Cork City FC

Urban sprawl?

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Cork City FC

I wouldn't say Sullivan was the team now to be fair, thats hardly fair on the rest of the team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

By tickets sales it must be Liverpool reserves going by the sell out of the game V bohs.

On a sidenote,Ibrahimovic91 I reckon that Sig is way to big and I can see the Sig police getting the KY jelly ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

celtic , sure aren't they an Irish team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sarge wrote: »
    celtic , sure aren't they an Irish team ?
    its so lonely round the fields of Athenry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not much between Bohs and Rovers if we're honest. Rovers sold a lot of season tickets at the start of this season that were bought as presents for people who now don't turn up for half the games. Bohs need to do more to get lapsed fans back, there are plenty of measures that could be taken to do this. I think Bohs and Rovers are some way ahead of Pat's in terms of support and potential support.

Bateman wrote: »
    Not much between Bohs and Rovers if we're honest. Rovers sold a lot of season tickets at the start of this season that were bought as presents for people who now don't turn up for half the games. Bohs need to do more to get lapsed fans back, there are plenty of measures that could be taken to do this. I think Bohs and Rovers are some way ahead of Pat's in terms of support and potential support.

Tallaght stadium seems to be fairly full every week considering a lot of the 3000 or so season ticket holders don't turn up :rolleyes:

Yeah - "fairly full". Not completely full. There were a lot less empty seats in evidence tonight because it had the feeling of a big game. For other games this season there have been loads of empty seats. Maybe the lads standing down the other end cover the difference but I'm not convinced.

Also, I know the part-time season ticket holder thing to be true so I ain't making it up or inventing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Yeah - "fairly full". Not completely full. There were a lot less empty seats in evidence tonight because it had the feeling of a big game. For other games this season there have been loads of empty seats. Maybe the lads standing down the other end cover the difference but I'm not convinced.

Also, I know the part-time season ticket holder thing to be true so I ain't making it up or inventing it.

It was jammers tonight. Between the people standing behind the goal and the extra people in the singing section, they would easily fill the empty seats beside the away fans. Rovers are averaging close to 3000 per game. That's well more than Bohs are getting this season.
    Also, Rovers reserves attracted 10,915 to one of their fixtures this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

It was jammers tonight. Between the people standing behind the goal and the extra people in the singing section, they would easily fill the empty seats beside the away fans. Rovers are averaging close to 3000 per game. That's well more than Bohs are getting this season.

You mean Real Madrid did.

Any Irish football club would have got that if they had the same stadium for Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Shamrock Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Sporting Fingal

*ducks*

doonothing wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal

*ducks*

Hahaha funny.

I'm not denying Rovers are averaging significantly more than Bohs week-in week-out. And I'm not denying that the place was full tonight.

As a matter of interest, are Rovers actually allowed people behind the goal? I heard rumours that on the opening night against Sligo the Council House was completely overcrowded, and I thought they were going to clamp down on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

doonothing wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal

*ducks*
    DSB wrote: »
    Hahaha funny.

Oh give it time.

Rovers fans queuing to get their hands on the new away jersey at the 'megastore'. When's the last time you seen the likes for a jersey launch for a LOI team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rovers fans queuing to get their hands on the new away jersey at the 'megastore'. When's the last time you seen the likes for a jersey launch for a LOI team?

Whats wrong with the pink one you never wore?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the pink one you never wore?

It wasn't purple enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Who cares? And what difference does it make?

Anto McC wrote: »
    Who cares? And what difference does it make?

Bitter much?

The Umbro megastore, just for the sake of clarity.

Yes, queueing up for Shamrock Rovers jersies, just for the sake of clarity too of course:p

So we have clearly established who the biggest club in Dublin is now, so maybe this thread should be locked because the bitterness on here is getting out of control.

Yes, queueing up for Shamrock Rovers jersies, just for the sake of clarity too of course:p

The picture is very misleading though, they could have been queuing for any of the Umbro products in the store ;)

• Advertisement

So we have clearly established who the biggest club in Dublin is now, so maybe this thread should be locked because the bitterness on here is getting out of control.

Wouldn't get the head too big just yet, still haven't won anything major in around 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who gives a shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Shamrock Rovers are the biggest supported club in Ireland.
    thats fairly clearcut.

I wish Bohs were and they could and should be.
    Bohs have had very weak boards for a long time and are stuck in a mire. This will probably continue for some years to come given the unholy mess they have made of finances.

On a positive note, the result tonight went well .
    Bohs 4 Sligo 2 after extra time

Pal wrote: »
    This will probably continue for some years to come

It will if people don't care enough about it to do something about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

For the sake of clarity you mean the premises leased to SRFC which SRFC and Umbro entered into a 50/50 joint venture whereby Umbro set up, stock (with SRFC input) and run the megastore and are licenced to sell merchandise bearing the SRFC crest with the two parties sharing the profits equally.

• Advertisement

For the sake of clarity you mean the premises leased to SRFC which SRFC and Umbro entered into a 50/50 joint venture whereby Umbro set up, stock (with SRFC input) and run the megastore and are licenced to sell merchandise bearing the SRFC crest with the two parties sharing the profits equally.

Exclusively Rovers stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

No Rovers still get money when any of the other Umbro products are sold in the shop. The shop really is a great deal for Rovers since we are making money not just from the Rovers gear but all the other Umbro gear too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Bohemians should be. As they're the only real northside club

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Rovers id say are slightly more supported than bohs but I do believe that their attendences are a novelty factor with the new ground and also that fact that the team are doing quite well. As someone said earlier if Pats and bohs moved out into the suburbs, they'ed get a bigger fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pal wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers are the biggest supported club in Ireland.
    thats fairly clearcut.

Dublin yes, Ireland no.

But this is as bad as bragging about attendances, no team in Ireland can be happy about either.

bohsman wrote: »
    But this is as bad as bragging about attendances, no team in Ireland can be happy about either.

This is correct.

Bohs are getting, what, 2.5k average attendance as Double holders and league leaders and you're carping about whether we're filling Tallaght or not?

Or quibbling about what our club shop is called?

Turn around lads. Rome is burning.

Stupid thread. My da is bigger than your da stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

It will if people don't care enough about it to do something about it

I thought about that too and made some inquiries.

If you genuinely wanted to have an input into the business acumen of Bohs and felt you could contribute, then its not quite that simple.

The club is owned by the members and 2 year membership is a prerequisite to joining the board.

Having waited the 2 years, one would then need to drum up support to accede to a committee of members that seems to be at loggerheads with each other. So even if you hung about, you probably wouldn't get into the carefully guarded inner circle anyway.

The club has had one EGM that I know of and lots of infighting sidebars.

(I'm not a member but I keep abreast of developments)

I don't think Bohs would know how to deal with a shining knight which in my opinion is probably what they need.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Bohemians should be. As they're the only real northside club

Correct.

Young lad last night doing the half-time draw...
    Announcer: And where are you from?
    Kid (slightly overwhelmed): Eh?
    Announcer: Cabra? Finglas? Whereabouts?
    Kid: I'm from town.

You won't get that in Tallaght. ;)

SectionF wrote: »
    You won't get that in Tallaght. ;)

News just in:

Rovers support devastated by perceived ambiguity in club status as metropolitan entity.

"Having no debt, being second in the league, having the highest attendances in the country and playing in a stadium that's not encrusted in moss means nothing if we can't play our home fixtures in a postcode that's lower than 10", said a grieving club spokesperson yesterday.

"Them lot have it all over in Dublin 7", he added dejectedly.

stovelid wrote: »
    "Having no debt, being second in the league, having the highest attendances in the country and playing in a stadium that's not encrusted in moss means nothing if we can't play our home fixtures in a postcode that's lower than 10"
    I like it. And your postcode is? :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement