Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea

Options
  • 02-08-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Advice and help apperciated - We have just moved into a new house where the rooms have built in wardrobes with hinged doors. I was thinking we could take off the hinged doors and use Ikea sliding doors which i believe you can buy separtely along with the hinges etc.

Just wondering has anyone tried this and what would your thoughts be on this - Cheers Guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I wouldn't have thought it a problem so long as you can fix the top and bottom tracks securely. I don't see any sliding doors for sale separately on the Ikea website but I do know B&Q have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

Just recently, I fitted two Ikea wardrobes with sliding doors so this is all pretty fresh in my mind. They were the Lyngdal glass doors but I guess they're all similar. Yes, you definitely can buy the doors separately.

As long as your existing wardobes are in widths of 50cm/100cm (or 75cm in limited situations), and of a similar (or slightly smaller if you raise the top rail up on a baton fitted to the top of the wardrobe) height to the Ikea ones, I think it could be doable. You would need to drill a few additional holes in the cabinets, and you might need to cut some notches out of the bottom metal rail in order for it to sit neatly in around the internal sides of the cabinets.

I think height is the crucial point because if the top and bottom rail are not exactly the correct distance apart there's a chance a door could come off the rail and that just wouldn't be safe.

Also, bear in mind, sliding doors would sit quite a bit forward from the front of the cabinets, certainly considerably further forward than your current hinged doors. I know this sounds obvious but I was a bit surprised how far forward they were.

Also, when it comes to actually hanging the doors, I found the advice here invaluable.

I can check measurements, and so on, for you if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Brillant Guys, Thanks for the help and links - it will be a few weeks before I attempt this will let you know the outcome.

Advertisement