Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films are you watching?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Watching "This is it" right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Watched Walk The Line last night which was a lot better than I remember, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off which is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'm gonna make it my aim to watch the following before the 11th:
    City of God; Once Upon A Time in the West; Manhunter; Raising Arizona; The Dirty Dozen; The Proposition. Going to college has seriously reduced the amount of films I usually get to see. :(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ha, I remember a certain list, a certain someone failed to complete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Monzo wrote: »
    I'm gonna make it my aim to watch the following before the 11th:
    City of God; Once Upon A Time in the West; Manhunter; Raising Arizona; The Dirty Dozen; The Proposition. Going to college has seriously reduced the amount of films I usually get to see. :(
    Apparently I'm the only person that hated that movie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

You mean me! I failed that badly! Hm, we should get C&H to do summer things, it could be good!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ha, I remember a certain list, a certain someone failed to complete!

I REFUSE to watch all those Steven Segal films! :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

syncosised wrote: »
    You mean me! I failed that badly! Hm, we should get C&H to do summer things, it could be good!
    Well actually I mean the below person, but this could work too!
    I REFUSE to watch all those Steven Segal films! :mad:
    Dude, you have to watch "Lawman". It's Steven's TV series about his life as a sheriff. It's incredible. I'm actually in love with the man, he plays the blues with crazy skills, trains killer attack dogs, visits children's hospitals with presents and can shoot a matchstick from 30 feet. This is all in REAL life. How can you not love the man?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Dude, you have to watch "Lawman". It's Steven's TV series about his life as a sheriff. It's incredible. I'm actually in love with the man, he plays the blues with crazy skills, trains killer attack dogs, visits children's hospitals with presents and can shoot a matchstick from 30 feet. This is all in REAL life. How can you not love the man?!

Is it up on the net anywhere? Been looking for it. Pm me a link plz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I watched this documentary thing last night on the Columbine massacre in the US. It totally gave me the chills, couldn't sleep for ages because I was so freaked out by it. Some people are pure evil :confused::(

• Advertisement

Just finished watching a film called Ballast, tis' a very hard film to go about reviewing or recommending to peeps. The best way I can attempt to do either is by saying firstly that I did not enjoy this film. The world depicted in the film is grittier than...well..grit. Life in this film is bleak, grim, depressing and nothing ever really works out. But this is where this film really excels. The director was intentionally trying to get the basic point across that life is generally shít and is merely peppered with moments of slightly less "shít-ness". It's a technically brilliant film. Even just in terms of how it was actually made, the film is unique. No actors were used in the film, "non-actors" were hired to portray the lives of the characters in the film from the local area. This is something I think is absolutely crucial to the film's success. The three leads in Ballast really blew me away with their offerings, I would nearly call their performances flawless if I weren't such a heartless fecker. To quote a review on the film that says what I want to perfectly "They do not come across as actors portraying roles, but rather just as people reacting to each other and their surroundings." Then when you take into account that this film used no special effects, used no soundtrack at all and had no dialog was written into the script (It was all improvised) you cant help but be amazed by the film. While I wouldn't exactly recommend it to the average film consumer, if you have even a slight interest in how films are made and what can be done with film as a medium you have to see this film!

Also, can someone go download this film so I have someone to talk to it about? I can point you in the direction of some "sources" to obtain it by PM if needs be.

Heres a trailer of it for those interested, not that it gives any clear indication of what the film is about.

Three men and a baby

coz I'm mature like that...****ing love this movie:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Darjeeling Ltd

Must be my 4th time watching it now.

The Darjeeling Ltd

Must be my 4th time watching it now.

Tis a great film alright. You familiar with the rest of Wes Anderson's work?

phlegms wrote: »
    Tis a great film alright. You familiar with the rest of Wes Anderson's work?

Nope, haven't seen any of his other films yet. I take it you're a fan?

Nope, haven't seen any of his other films yet. I take it you're a fan?

Huge fan!
    You should go out of your way to watch the following:

He also more recently directed Fantastic Mr.Fox which I have yet to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Watched Good Will Hunting and Kingdom of Heaven
    Both fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Watching Disturbia atm and it's amazing :D

Just finished watching "Hunger". It was fairly mind blowing tbh. Its one of those films I think every Irish person should try to watch. I'm struggling to put my love for it into words right now, but I seriously urge people to check it out. Full put a full review on my site (lulz) in the near future if yer' interested. :pac:

• Advertisement

Watching the film "Doubt". The dialog scenes in this film are incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just got back from Avatar, that film is a work of art. So good. And the 3D is all done very tastefully, I never thought it was too in-your-face or anything like that. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jay P wrote: »
    I just got back from Avatar, that film is a work of art. So good. And the 3D is all done very tastefully, I never thought it was too in-your-face or anything like that. Fantastic.

Didn't think the film was great to be honest, just wondering what you liked about the 3D? I thought it gave the film a better perception of depth but, overall I haven't been grabbed by this whole 3D thing. If anything, it's more of an annoyance because of those glasses!

Anybody agree with me? I think I'm in the minority from talking to friends about 3D, I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

jasonorr wrote: »
    Didn't think the film was great to be honest, just wondering what you liked about the 3D? I thought it gave the film a better perception of depth but, overall I haven't been grabbed by this whole 3D thing. If anything, it's more of an annoyance because of those glasses!

Anybody agree with me? I think I'm in the minority from talking to friends about 3D, I dunno!

I agree, but that could just be because they didn't stay on over my regular glasses which made reading all the subtitles very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Just small things, like when you're in the forest and there are flies. A few times I just wanted to swat them away, I totally forgot it was a movie! Though the glasses got very annoying at times, and sometimes I saw double, but I'll look past that.
    And I know the story was fairly cliched, but I still thought it was pretty entertaining.

This is going to be the most depressing movie of 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

The Chorus is a good film. It's french, but with english subtitles. Didn't think it would be any good, but even if your not interested in French it's pretty cool. Also Freedom Writers. It's very 'dangerous minds', but good none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

This is going to be the most depressing movie of 2010

Just looked this up on wiki.
    In 1987, obese, illiterate, black 16-year-old Claireece "Precious" Jones (Gabourey Sidibe) lives in the New York City neighborhood of Harlem with her dysfunctional family; she has been raped and impregnated twice by her father, Carl, and suffers constant physical, mental and sexual abuse from her unemployed mother, Mary (Mo'Nique). The family resides in a Section 8 tenement and subsists on welfare. Her first child, known only as "Mongo" (short for "Mongoloid"), has Down syndrome and is being cared for by Precious's grandmother.

Jesus Christ:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

A movie to shock you is called 'Mockingbird dont sing'. Wiki it if you like, as I cant remember a lot of it. But it is based on a true story. We were shown it in 6th class, and living in a scumbag area, I didnt think it would get a reaction from most people, but even the most scumbag guys in the class almost had tears in their eyes.

• Advertisement

Just looked this up on wiki.

Jesus Christ:eek:

There must be some kind of award for how much depressing **** you can stick in a movie that I'm not aware of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement