Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films are you watching?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Can you or another esteemed member of the board recommend some anime for moi to watch? I briefly got into it a while back and watched death note and a few others but lost contact with the friend who would let me know what to watch.
    +1

I too would appreciate a short-list of essential films to watch as a new-comer to the genre.
    yay,we're spreading the disease.

like hotaru said,studio gihbli is a solid base to start from.

Neon genesis evangelion,isn't that easy goiing to watch,but is awesome [kind of like lost in that it makes you think]

it really depends on what you like in movies/tv there's EVERY sort of anime,it's a medium not a genre.there's probably more types of anime than tv shows.

one I loved was "code geass" for mixed up madness.

and just for a laugh:Watch Gantz,there's no harm in it,no harm at all.Eh Hotaru?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Hotaru wrote: »
    This and this thread have a few suggestions.

Any of the Studio Ghibli films are great, particularly Spirited Away. Bear in mind that they're all PG though so if you're looking for any serious violence or racy stuff you won't find it there :p
    Akira is another great film, lots more violence and gritty storylines.

As for a series, well it's gotta be Neon Genesis Evangelion. We harp on about it enough here on boards but it really is amazing - it's complicated though and has a lot of psychological aspects to it. When you 'get it' (Wikipedia is very useful for when you get a bit lost) though, you'll really appreciated the genius of the series.

I has
    evangelion162_s.jpg (you evil people got me addicted to this! watched a good bit of it last night but me eyes were drooping so i'll watch the rest later)
    and more anime in the form of ponyo(jap with subs :cool: like everything else)
    PonyoPosterSm.jpg
    and season 1 of full metal alchemist :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

and just for a laugh:Watch Gantz,there's no harm in it,no harm at all.Eh Hotaru?

Yea, no mental damage done there. None at all...

full metal alchemist is good,HUGE series though.I've only seen bits of it.

HS666:if you liked 1.0 you haven't seen anything until you watch 2.0.It will blow your mind and I'm not a huge anime fan,A_neurotic had never seen evangelion before and we were both speechless after seeing it

• Advertisement

Ohh I cant wait (2.0 is on dvd release in May according io wikipedia :D:D:D this genre is sooo cool xD)

And I know about FMA being huge :eek: something like 54 episodes lol but at least it will keep me busy!!

Ohh I cant wait (2.0 is on dvd release in May according io wikipedia :D:D:D this genre is sooo cool xD)

And I know about FMA being huge :eek: something like 54 episodes lol but at least it will keep me busy!!

It's out in Japan in May, not here. Considering 1.0 is only getting released on DVD here on April 26th, it'll be awhile before 2.0 makes it's way over.

:( well at least it will be on the internetz (but if i ordered it from japan would it not be the same except for region)

:( well at least it will be on the internetz (but if i ordered it from japan would it not be the same except for region)

It would be in Japanese. Most likely no subtitles.

Aww oh me sad now :( hmm at least america will get a release sooner that us although it really deserves a cinema release (I wonder will it show at the convention in UL :cool:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Thanks guys. Just loaded up Neon Genesis Evangelion so i'll see what I make of it. Any of you watch Death Note? Really enjoyed it at first but quality of the story declined as it progressed.

Aww oh me sad now :( hmm at least america will get a release sooner that us although it really deserves a cinema release (I wonder will it show at the convention in UL :cool:)
    maybe not.We saw 2.0 yesterday and it's not out in the UK or US yet.So,we might even have it before the others,depending how they do the releases.

I think BroCon[UL convention] is a more gamery con than anime,not sure though

They said yesterday that this was their last showing of Evangelion 2.0 in Europe. Apparently they're not licensed to show it anymore. Don't mean to burst your bubble but sure at least it'll be worth the wait! Watch the original series and End of Evangelion in the meantime.

I was on the eirtekon forum (spelling??) and they claimed to do anime showings :) but seriously cinema's should be doing this for movies other than SG??? Me thinks a letter/email is in order. Omniples now show classic movie due to demand so why would they not do anime?

/ @Horatu the season is soo cool :cool: :D thanks anyway only saw what you said now

Thanks guys. Just loaded up Neon Genesis Evangelion so i'll see what I make of it. Any of you watch Death Note? Really enjoyed it at first but quality of the story declined as it progressed.
    I saw the first few episodes,It just never clicked with me,I don't know why.

but I saw bleach first so I guess I just prefer asskickery then the moral dilemma

I was on the eirtekon forum (spelling??) and they claimed to do anime showings :) but seriously cinema's should be doing this for movies other than SG??? Me thinks a letter/email is in order. Omniples now show classic movie due to demand so why would they not do anime?

Eirtakon do anime showings, just not necessarily Evangelion. There's alot of licensing problems to get around with any anime series. We were lucky to get 2.0 at all to be honest and it's nearly a year since it was originally released in Japan.

Cinemas are interested in showing films that are in demand. There are alot of anime fans but I doubt enough for widescale cinema releases. Even Ponyo had a very limited release here and Studio Ghibli films would be considered the most universally appealing of anime. If they were to ever show it in the cinema it would have to be dubbed anyway, highly unlikely they'd screen a subbed version, and the dub of Eva 2.0 won't be out for another year or 2 at least.

Cool thanks :)

Omniples now show classic movie due to demand so why would they not do anime?
    Anime has a cult following at best anywhere outside of Japan.
    I've no problem saying it's a weird thing to be into[no offence to anyone else] but lets be honest here,it's not a widely used media and most people just look at you funny and call you a nerd for being into it.

Screening Eva 2.0 in the IFI would be a pretty big deal IMO,it's about the closest you're going to get to an omniplex if you're watching.I could be wrong about this but no cinemas show anime films in ireland any way[which is a shame,it looks so good on the big screen]

I know but what i was saying is that some cinema do some cult films once a week/month its not much to ask for really

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Downloading Eps 1-26 and End of Evangelion Part 1&2, should keep me busy for a while. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow

Downloading Eps 1-26 and End of Evangelion Part 1&2, should keep me busy for a while. :D
    speaking as a guy who watched the entire evangelion works over the last three days,take it easy. It will ruin your brain if you watch it together.

I had the weirdest,most inexplicable dreams last night,can't say I didn't see it coming

This glossary is great if you get confused by any of the terms used in the anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You found that torrent too :p

Took me three fúcking days to download. It's got more than just that in it (if it's the same one) it's got all the series, Death/Rebirth. End of Evangelion and then the remastered End of Evangelion.

Anime Films to try:

Akira was the first one I watched, I loved it!

Ghost in the Shell is pretty amazing, kinda like the matrix, ridiculously good animation (The TV series "The Stand Alone Complex" is also quite good)

Blood The last Vampire, (not the crappy live action film) is really really good.

Can someone Pm me link to torrent please :) (are the subs on it or on a different file)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Can someone Pm me link to torrentt please :) (are the subs on it or on a different file)

No. Asking that kinda stuff on thread is just retarded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fad wrote: »

No more retarded than talking about it to be fair!

Fad wrote: »
    So what else have I done that is ''Just retarded'' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So what else have I done that is ''Just retarded'' :rolleyes:

Guys, this is a thread about films. Keep it calm.

• Advertisement

Ok but I want a responce from Fad explaining himself!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement