Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike lisance, theroy test and driving test, With a full irish car lisance

• 02-08-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

right, i know i should just go into the tax office and ask there, and ive looked all over the internet and this forum and cant find anything similar! so any ways, i have a full Irish car license, had it for 2 years now, and had my provisional for about 10 months before i had my full! i did my theory test on the 10th july 07, so before the new test came in!

what im wondering is, do i have to redo the theory test then to get my provisional. and if so, or not, when im applying how do i get the full irish and provisional bike on one, do i just apply for the learners permit for bikes, and submit it with my full car license?

thanks dudes :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its been two years since you held what is now a permit. So you have to redo your theory test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 uprootedshane

cool! thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Its been two years since you held what is now a permit. So you have to redo your theory test.
    i dont think so, i did my theroy test in 2003 and got a learner permit for a bike in 2007 without havin to redo the test

guil wrote: »
    i dont think so, i did my theroy test in 2003 and got a learner permit for a bike in 2007 without havin to redo the test

As of the changes last year, if a permit is left without a renewal for two years the theory test will have to be re-taken and a new permit issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

you need a permit for the bike and then when u pass ur bike test u then submit both licences and ur docket to say u passed and both are put onto one licnece......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

As of the changes last year, if a permit is left without a renewal for two years the theory test will have to be re-taken and a new permit issued.
    would that not only apply to new applications and would it not come into effect if he never had a provisional for a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 uprootedshane

i have the test booked for next week anyways! suppose i might as well do it now! thanks for the input everyone! :)

guil wrote: »
    would that not only apply to new applications and would it not come into effect if he never had a provisional for a bike

If he had a provisional before which had the bike category he needs and it expired over 2 years ago he has to redo his theory test and reapply.

If he never had the bike category on it he will need to do the theory test and reapply regardless.

If he got his full license and his provisional didn't expire for a few months later then its possible you could renew that to a permit. But I'm pretty certain he missed that by a few days.

Plus the tax office have gone very anal recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rather than open a new thread, i thought I'd post this in this one.

I have a UK driving licence, but want to get a bike for driving to and from Dublin Airport. Will I need to get my licence converted to an irish one in order to do the test, or is it easier to do the CBT and restricted test in the UK?

Motorbike licences seem to be a bit of a mine field.

Cheers.

I have a UK driving licence

Can you clarify, car or bike?
    Will I need to get my licence converted to an irish one in order to do the test,

If its a car license then no. There are benefits in Ireland to not having a valid Irish license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

or is it easier to do the CBT and restricted test in the UK?

I would say so. We have a minimum of 6 months on a permit before being able to take a valid test. And waiting times of a couple of months for bikes anyway.

• Advertisement

Can you clarify, car or bike?

If its a car license then no. There are benefits in Ireland to not having a valid Irish license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

I would say so. We have a minimum of 6 months on a permit before being able to take a valid test. And waiting times of a couple of months for bikes anyway.

Sorry, I should have made that a bit clearer, I have a full UK car licence but I want to ride a bike, most likely on a motorway, so i will need some sort of Full Bike Licence. It looks like it will be easier to get it sorted out in the UK and added to my UK licence.

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Since you have a UK address get it there and do the direct access course (whatever they call it), fastest way to get a full unrestricted licence.
    In Ireland you would need a theory test to get a Learner permit then wait at least 6 months to do the test then 2 years restricted.

UK licence wont get points in Ireland too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Since you have a UK address get it there and do the direct access course (whatever they call it), fastest way to get a full unrestricted licence.
    In Ireland you would need a theory test to get a Learner permit then wait at least 6 months to do the test then 2 years restricted.

UK licence wont get points in Ireland too :)

+ 1 keep ur UK licence, do the quick course in UK and get ur full licnece

Thanks for the advice, that was pretty much the conclusion i had come to.

So what would i need, a CBR125 or a YBR125 then?

Out of curiosity, how fast does one of these go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Thanks for the advice, that was pretty much the conclusion i had come to.

So what would i need, a CBR125 or a YBR125 then?

Out of curiosity, how fast does one of these go?

CBR125 would be quite nippy as its 2stroke whereas the YBR is 4stroke as far as I know. Both would do motorway speed, but the CBR would get there quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Check out the UK test requirements.
    You might need something bigger than 125 to do the test on. Over here if you do the test on a 125 you only get an A1 licence and cant drive anything bigger, dont know if UK is the same. Check it out you may as well get something you can use for the test.

If you do direct access you will need at least 600cc, it could be supplied as well as part of the course not really sure never really looked into it in detail.

YBR125 will struggle to do motorway speeds(you can do it but need a good tailwind :P) Not sure about the CBR but i wouldn't think it would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think most of the DA courses in the UK are now in danger of closing permanently due to the new test introduced recently..........you might have missed the boat already.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement