Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dire Straits

• 02-08-2009 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

K, in the billion years boards has been here, there haven't been any proper discussions about Mark Knopfler & Co. The other night I heard this song for the first time in ages:

Romeo & Julliet. I don't know anything about the video, but the song is amazing.

Also quite fantastic is Money For Nothing. A tad overplayed, but it has the most rockin riff ever written! I can even excuse Mr. Sting because of it :)

I could go into more, but I'm tired. I came in from work really wanting to hear some Dire Straits and I suddenly remembered how much I love them!

So thoughts of other posters?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sultans of Swing is their best track, quality song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I would imagine a guilty pleasure for many Rock fans. I would be more in for the earlier stuff, they have a great sound and Knopfler is as good as it gets as guitarists go. Ladywriter, Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, are class. I have to admit though that Love over gold is where it ends I think Brothers in Arms is just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

agree, i used to love their stuff back in the day , but got turned off by their newer stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

damonjewel wrote: »
    I would imagine a guilty pleasure for many Rock fans.

Wouldn't say a guilty pleasure, I like their stuff personally, but kinda have a love/hate relationship with Sultans of Swing, it was the first thing I learned on bass way back when, and kinda bored me to tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I love Dire Straits. One of the all time greats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Mark's solo stuff is great, particularly the album 'Sailing to Philadelphia', well worth a listen. Went to see him live in the RDS last year great show!

Agree with above post also, to me Brothers in Arms is Dire Straits' finest track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah boards does it again, one of the rare times I ever listen to the radio ( cos I was on a road trip ) ended up listening to Brothers and Arms and have been listening to the album the last hour after I got home.

Beautifully crafted music alas it did seem to be the peak.

Wouldn't say a guilty pleasure

Well there is certain amount of stuff thats pretty uncool about them, e.g. muscle tshirts, tennis sweatbands, flourescent colours, Prince Charles is a fan, and my Dad loves them too (he's 60). Yet when driving around in my car I can't help turning up the volume when sultans comes on. Its a Guilty pleasure for someone like me who generally spends most of his time listening to weirdness, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Great band and some class songs...but it did unfortunatley result in this:

:mad:brandon knows how to destroy a song!

I didnt think that The Killers version was bad, the vocals are alright. Although apart from the piano, its all a bit garage band. However you'd want to have some balls to try a Knopfler song as a guitarist thinking you'd better the original. Knopfler's style is so idiosyncratic and plays a major part in them there songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Dire straits kickass, another gem of a song is:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hot and cold for me, I tend to associate them with much of what wrong with music from the invention of the CD player onwards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I would imagine a guilty pleasure for many Rock fans. I would be more in for the earlier stuff, they have a great sound and Knopfler is as good as it gets as guitarists go. Ladywriter, Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, are class. I have to admit though that Love over gold is where it ends I think Brothers in Arms is just awful.

I dunno why people say they're a guilty pleasure. They are a quality band and it's hardly something to be embarrassed about listening to!
    jebuz wrote: »
    Mark's solo stuff is great, particularly the album 'Sailing to Philadelphia', well worth a listen. Went to see him live in the RDS last year great show!

Agree with above post also, to me Brothers in Arms is Dire Straits' finest track

Yes, though I've only heard a handful of his stuff, one being the album with Emmylou Harris, All The Roadrunning, and while some of it is a very country album, I find it very enjoyable.
    Great band and some class songs...but it did unfortunatley result in this:

:mad:brandon knows how to destroy a song!

*shudder*

I love Dire straits, why eye man and money for nothing are my faves:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Telegraph road
    Private Investigations
    The man's too strong
    Calling elvis

all quality tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Always loved them. Saw them on their farewell tour in the Point (o2) many years ago, they were brill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dire Straits are a great, great band, six blade knife has to be one of the most laid back, relaxing songs ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

was just talking about dire straits with my sister the other day!! they were one of my favorite bands of all times..my absolute favorite song is this one..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyb4Z4imxZg&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

that one is tunnel of love... Sultans of swing was my favorite song when Iw as growing up and still cheers me up on end when I hear it..

would love to know if they still play live or is it just Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

See the little ****** with the earring and the makeup
    Yeah buddy thats his own hair
    That little ****** got his own jet airplane
    That little ****** hes a millionaire

awesome.

• Advertisement

Jay P wrote: »
    I dunno why people say they're a guilty pleasure. They are a quality band and it's hardly something to be embarrassed about listening to!

Well then let me be clear, dire straits are and always have been seriously uncool. They are British rocks equivalent of sandals with socks. When punk and new wave were at its zenith this pub rock band managed its way onto the scene. They were dad rock decades before the term was announced. Their songs are naff naff naff. For every 'sultans' there is a 'twisting by the pool' or worse still 'a walk of life'. I would never put dire straits on my turntable if I wanted to ROCK out, nor I would never put them on if it was all back to my place.

When you say quality band which line up are we talking here, the straits went through numerous changes with Mark Knopfler as its only constant. The original band were replaced with seasoned session musicians. So whats your point, quality band of seasoned session musicians. Mike65 hit the nail with the straits being are harbinger of the cd age , which is what they eventually became ( extended edits of brothers in arms only to be found on cd!). Whatever happened to the naivity and purpose of punk. Dire Straits were instrumental in the process that turned music into the flat sounding commercial mess that we still suffer today. Production qualities and session musicianship have finally emasculated the punkish diy rebellion.

Their big song 'Sultans of swing' has been reduced to a cabaret act standard and will always be there with 'hotel california' and 'simply the best'

However I like them, most of the albums have some redeeming feature, their original pared down sound was a breadth of fresh air in its day. knopflers virtuosity has never been in doubt, check out Knopflers work with chet atkins 'neck by neck'.

But really they are and always have been seriously uncool, and thats why they are a guilty pleasure for me, and I susoect for many more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Brilliant band.

I love Brothers in Arms and I particularily love this version.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

The killers version of Romeo and Juilet is amazing, I don't know how anyone could slate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

isn't why aye man knopfler on his own?
    Making movies is definately the best album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I heartily endorse this product. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

check out Knopflers work with chet atkins 'neck by neck'.

It's "Neck and Neck", brilliant album!

I love Dire Straits, They're great for when you want non-aggressive rock. Great instrumental sections in a lot of songs too, "Tunnel of Love" has a great one, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

'Local hero' is an excellent relaxant. Great writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well then let me be clear, dire straits are and always have been seriously uncool. They are British rocks equivalent of sandals with socks. When punk and new wave were at its zenith this pub rock band managed its way onto the scene. They were dad rock decades before the term was announced. Their songs are naff naff naff. For every 'sultans' there is a 'twisting by the pool' or worse still 'a walk of life'. I would never put dire straits on my turntable if I wanted to ROCK out, nor I would never put them on if it was all back to my place.

When you say quality band which line up are we talking here, the straits went through numerous changes with Mark Knopfler as its only constant. The original band were replaced with seasoned session musicians. So whats your point, quality band of seasoned session musicians. Mike65 hit the nail with the straits being are harbinger of the cd age , which is what they eventually became ( extended edits of brothers in arms only to be found on cd!). Whatever happened to the naivity and purpose of punk. Dire Straits were instrumental in the process that turned music into the flat sounding commercial mess that we still suffer today. Production qualities and session musicianship have finally emasculated the punkish diy rebellion.

Their big song 'Sultans of swing' has been reduced to a cabaret act standard and will always be there with 'hotel california' and 'simply the best'

However I like them, most of the albums have some redeeming feature, their original pared down sound was a breadth of fresh air in its day. knopflers virtuosity has never been in doubt, check out Knopflers work with chet atkins 'neck by neck'.

But really they are and always have been seriously uncool, and thats why they are a guilty pleasure for me, and I susoect for many more

Ah, I see... I think I'm a bit young to have them as a guilty pleasure, or whatever. Then again, I occasionally listen to Phil Collins. Ahem. :eek: WWho said that?! :pac:

And as for which band -> :confused: I honestly didn't know the lineup changed or anything, I only listen to the albums which I like :) I just meant they maded really good music (IMO!). So, yeah.... :)

I actually have neck by neck around somewhere, I think I'll give it a go if I can find it later.

Advertisement