Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding middle doors-

Options
  • 02-08-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Im looking at trying to get sliding doors in the middle room-
    Knocking wall through and building frame and all etc:

Anyone got any advice on what mechanism/ shop etc to get the pieces or doors or what are the differences between the types such as sliding, double opening etc:

any advice appreciated- (Also looking at outside french doors if any other suggestions)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Is this a DIY project? Is it on an external wall or is it internal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭skippy15

yes it is a DIY project which have family in the trade trying give me a hand with with but these middle doors/systems are giving me a bit of problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Skippy Hope this helps

I am not in the trade for sliding doors in houses but I travel to a lot of houses and the one thing I have learnt is many people after short periods of time dont like them. They rollor systems on sliding doors are not very smooth unless you have a track and a track looks very unsightly across the floor. A lot of people go with the sliding doors cause they push back against the wall. This mean that the corners of the room generly are left free because if you have anything in them when the doors are open the cornor looks cluttered.

I would go and speak to door and wardrobe manufactures and ask to see the type of sliding rail system. Look at the tracks and imagine them on your floor. Imagine how easy it will be to keep them clean etc.

I hope I dont offend I am just giving my experience form listening to customers. The old doors that have success is the ones that open in our out and are solid with a fancy glass. I am guessing you dont have the room for these which is why you want sliding doors.

Hi Skippy Hope this helps

I am not in the trade for sliding doors in houses but I travel to a lot of houses and the one thing I have learnt is many people after short periods of time dont like them. They rollor systems on sliding doors are not very smooth unless you have a track and a track looks very unsightly across the floor. A lot of people go with the sliding doors cause they push back against the wall. This mean that the corners of the room generly are left free because if you have anything in them when the doors are open the cornor looks cluttered.

I would go and speak to door and wardrobe manufactures and ask to see the type of sliding rail system. Look at the tracks and imagine them on your floor. Imagine how easy it will be to keep them clean etc.

I hope I dont offend I am just giving my experience form listening to customers. The old doors that have success is the ones that open in our out and are solid with a fancy glass. I am guessing you dont have the room for these which is why you want sliding doors.

Hi thanks for the advice- no offense taken at all. I can hardly ask for advice then give out about it-
    Yes the issue with rails etc have come up, and im not wondering if they will be worth it down the line so I may just go for the ones suggested and sacrifice the extra space-

decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Skippy, are you looking at concealed sliding doors or ones sitting outside the wall? We got a lot of rennovation work done recently and had concealed sliding doors installed for a walk-in wardrobe and pantry.

The builder had to make the stud walls a bit thicker than usual, to accomodate the thickness of the door inside the wall (they were good sturdy doors, mind). They're hung from a suspended rail on ball bearings with no guide at the bottom, but very smooth action - we're pretty pleased with them. If you go this road though, you may end up needing to redo the entire wall.

• Advertisement

Tenshot wrote: »
    Skippy, are you looking at concealed sliding doors or ones sitting outside the wall? We got a lot of rennovation work done recently and had concealed sliding doors installed for a walk-in wardrobe and pantry.

The builder had to make the stud walls a bit thicker than usual, to accomodate the thickness of the door inside the wall (they were good sturdy doors, mind). They're hung from a suspended rail on ball bearings with no guide at the bottom, but very smooth action - we're pretty pleased with them. If you go this road though, you may end up needing to redo the entire wall.
    Hi tenshot- I was planning on getting them outside the wal as such, im knocking the wall through between the kitchen and sitting room so its a new space as such so I can plan it how I like as such-
    That sounds a great idea- but don't think it would suit but ill ask the capenter coming out what he thinks-
    Can you give me anymore infoon it or pm builder details or any info please
    thanks for replies all

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Hi, I just started putting in sliding doors between dining room and kitchen. Its a basic enough system, rail, hangers stops etc - I made up the partition to allow for it, so just need to frame out around it and add architrave and hopefully should look ok. The sliding system is from Hafele I think.

IMG_3909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

skippy15 wrote: »
    Hi tenshot- I was planning on getting them outside the wal as such, im knocking the wall through between the kitchen and sitting room so its a new space as such so I can plan it how I like as such-
    That sounds a great idea- but don't think it would suit but ill ask the capenter coming out what he thinks-
    Can you give me anymore infoon it or pm builder details or any info please
    thanks for replies all

Pocket doors: slide into the wall: http://www.barrier-components.co.uk/hardware_for_sliding_doors/pocket_door_kit/

Better to have them top-hung. The rail on the floor can be quite small.

Advertisement