Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog coping with death of another dog

Options
  • 02-08-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi

Sadly my thirteen year old crossed terrier passed away suddenly thisweek. She and my 14 year old yorkie lived all there life together. They were like an old couple - fought alot but were always together. The poor Yorkie is bereft. He is searching, crying and generally ill at ease.

Any tips to help him would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your sad news.
    I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be to see your yorkie in such distress too.
    I'm not really sure what the right things to do are. But you could spend more time with the dog, little activities he enjoys / walks, making a new routine maybe.
    Hopefully others with more experience will be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Its so sad to hear your dog is greaving,, All i can say is give him a lot of extra attention , cuddles and treats , it will take time but he will get over it eventually..When my own father died years ago, his dog whom he loved became very distraught, stopped eating wouldn't go out, just slept all the time, it took a few weeks of love and coaxing before she came round. Give him time and love and I'm sure he'll be ok....best of luck,,,and sorry also about your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

It is a very difficult situation to be in, did she die at home, and if so did he see her or smell her, because if not he probably doesnt understand what happened and this she is just gone.

You do need to keep his routine as normal as possible it will help him a lot, some people might think this strange but he needs time to greive at the loss of his campanion. But you also need to keep watch with him and make sure he doesnt have any medical needs, taking into account his age. Make sure he is still eating and drink and passing pee etc. If your worried take him to the vet for a check up. Just lots of TLC and time and you guys will both be ok.

Advertisement