Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local ripoffs?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Since we had a thread about local bargains, think it would be a good idea to warn people of local ripoffs...

Last night in the function room of the Galway Bay hotel:
    Red Bull - €4.55 :eek:
    200ml Coke - €2.95

Sorry but that is a total ripoff. No feckin' way i'd have paid that (they were bought for me I just saw the receipt) - if I hadn't opened the Red Bull before seeing the receipt I would have brought the feckin' thing back to the bar for a refund.

Tell ya one thing, seeing those prices soon took any guilt I had for sneaking in a hip flask full of JD and a naggin of vodka :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The publicans are the first to crib about the downturn in trade and yet they haven't knocked a cent off the pint. Of course they will blame Diageo and everyone else under the sun for keeping the prices up, but never themselves. It's ridiculous that the pint has hit the €4 mark and lager €4.35. Agree that the hip flask is the way of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

dec25532 wrote: »
    The publicans are the first to crib about the downturn in trade and yet they haven't knocked a cent off the pint. Of course they will blame Diageo and everyone else under the sun for keeping the prices up, but never themselves.
    +1
    the publicans have nobody but themselves to blame for running their own industry into the ground.

I did accounts for a large galway pub a few years ago and every couple of months the greedy bastard owner had me in reprogramming the tills adding at least 5c to everything saying "sure, we'll get it, nobody looks at their change etc etc"

he maintained that as long as you kept a pint of guinness at a good price you could pretty much charge what ever you wanted for everrything else.... and at the time he was probably right.

but it's backfiring big time now and they're all crying like spoilt children but it's all their own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

As a habitual non-drinker,whose job takes me into a lot of venues, I am appalled at the cost of non-alcoholic beverages in pubs in general...I've paid anything from €4.50 to €6.00 for a pint of Coke!!!and I know what they pay for it!!!

it'd drive a man to drink!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

Jesus christ, would would drink a pint of coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Jesus christ, would would drink a pint of coke?

well...why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Publicans wonder why people stay away from their establishments when you can get a six-pack for under a tenner.Bless

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lads can we keep this thread on topic (exploiting local ripoffs) as opposed to a general chat about the price of drink as it could be a really useful thread

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

I was back visiting Galway a couple of weeks ago with herself. She was delighted with getting a pair of shoes in penny's or somewhere like that for 4 euros. The smile was wiped off her face when she went for lunch in The Front Door and paid a tenner for a pannini.

The prices of food and drink in Galway is shocking, but no different to the rest of ireland I suppose. Recession or not, this is what'll damage the tourist numbers in galway most I reckon. Probably be heading to berlin on my next holiday rather than back home to galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Paid €9 for a plain beef roll at the races on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ripoffs? Have you seen what it costs to just park your car in this city? €2.20 an hour or part thereof to park in Jurys car park? WTF? I don't want to own it, I just want to leave my car there while I bring my kids for a wander to the shops. It was 40p an hour when I moved to Galway in '97 - and they wonder why I shop in Claremorris...

'cptr

• Advertisement

Galway is a ripoff.Feckin Paris was cheaper.
    The Roisin slyly puts up the price of a pint throughtout the night.
    Be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    The Roisin put slyly puts up the pint throughtout the night.
    Be vigilant.

20cent after midnight. Stock up before then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Ripoffs? Have you seen what it costs to just park your car in this city? €2.20 an hour or part thereof to park in Jurys car park? WTF? I don't want to own it, I just want to leave my car there while I bring my kids for a wander to the shops. It was 40p an hour when I moved to Galway in '97 - and they wonder why I shop in Claremorris...

'cptr

Forget how much it is but I think Market Street Carpark is pretty expensive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

moonflower wrote: »
    20cent after midnight. Stock up before then!

Is that against the law? They are obliged to have the prices displayed somewhere on the premises as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Centra in Salthill is crazy expensive. Over a fiver for a baguette and every time I've gotten one the contents have always been shockingly bad.

Won't shop in there again
    dec25532 wrote: »
    The publicans are the first to crib about the downturn in trade and yet they haven't knocked a cent off the pint. Of course they will blame Diageo and everyone else under the sun for keeping the prices up, but never themselves. It's ridiculous that the pint has hit the €4 mark and lager €4.35. Agree that the hip flask is the way of the future.

Where are you getting pints in town for €4.35? Cheapest I've gotten a pint of Heineken in town is €4.60. Must be going to the wrong places
    bigeasyeah wrote: »
    The Roisin slyly puts up the price of a pint throughtout the night.
    Be vigilant.

That's bad form. I don't believe they do that. Considering most of the trade they do there is from 11pm-2am cos of the live bands. That's changed my mind from going back there soon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Col200sx wrote: »
    That's bad form. I don't believe they do that. Considering most of the trade they do there is from 11pm-2am cos of the live bands. That's changed my mind from going back there soon:mad:

who's actually experienced this? not just a friend of a friend stuff? i'm not saying it's a lie or a myth or anything, but i wonder how a pub can do that and expect to get away with it...

I have.It adds up too when one is on a session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Yeah, the prices in the Roisin definitely go up by 20c after 12, as do Massimo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You can mention rip off without mentioning Eddie Rockets. Crazy prices for crap food.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

I have logged a complaint with the consumer association of Ireland regarding the pricing policy at the roisin dubh. We'll see what they make of it.

I have experienced the midnight increase first hand and it's infuriating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The price has to be displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

Melty wrote: »
    I have logged a complaint with the consumer association of Ireland regarding the pricing policy at the roisin dubh. We'll see what they make of it.

I was over in Kilkenny a few times and it seemed to be common practice there. Best thing is to vote with your feet - just don't go there.

As regards Eddie Rockets - only eat there with the half-price hamburger voucher (bogof) that you get on almost every Dunnes receipt. Burgers are worth €4 I think... but €8? Definately not!!

Also Charcoal Grill have put up all their prices!! Kebabs etc all up by 50cent. Drinks 20c. €8.90 now for a large kebab with cheese!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

it's hard to boycott a popular pub.... as for charcoal grill - no more! my body's delighted with their increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Please let us know if they get back to you.

This sort of thing sickens me. Actually going in tonight and if the Healy's or Gugai are there, I'm going to ask them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

it's hard to boycott a popular pub.... as for charcoal grill - no more! my body's delighted with their increases

+1, was in there last night and was shocked at the cost, surely prices should be coming down not up!!

Having Dinner out can stack up with having to pay extra for potatoes, veg etc... I've always been of the opinion that Irish meals in the main consist of meat, potatoes & 2 veg.

McSwiggans are terrible at adding these costs, waitress asks would you like potatoes and veg, you say yes and all of a sudden 6-7 quid is added to the bill

That said some restaurants have reacted well lately - Martines and the Quay Street Restaurant have €20 2 Course deals that are very nice

Another one that bugs the crap out of me is Taxi charges, the difference between Cabs and Taxis - Call Out Charge, Baggage Charge, Sunday Charge, Extra for more than one person... Bloody hell, you'd swear you were the one offering them a service. The difference can be €8 for a Cab and €14 for a Taxi which is almost double and IMO cannot be justified.

The Pints thing does annoy me at times, The Dew Drop have put up their prices recently too (I thought the Vintners had implemented a price freeze for 2009) I have voted with my feet. On a side note, would be interesting to do a comparision of booze prices between Galway Pubs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

ah lads, in wales this week,,man are we ripped off. ASDA, 1l smirnoff voddie, 14 stg !
    and check out the prices from my "local" there. Also bear in mind, at certain hours you roll 2 dice and depending on what you roll, there is MORE money off..i.e double 6 = half price drinks for that round
    album.php?albumid=706&pictureid=3529

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jugs82 wrote: »
    (I thought the Vintners had implemented a price freeze for 2009) I have voted with my feet. On a side note, would be interesting to do a comparision of booze prices between Galway Pubs...

The Competition Authority took a case to the High Court, who found that the price freeze was illegal.

(http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/publicans-told-to-halt-price-freeze-97549.html - it's been in the other papers too, this is the 1st google found me).

What's the best unit of comparison - Guinness? Arus na nGael was 3.70 on Saturday night (could of sworn they were 3.80 or even .90 earlier in the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

centra in s'hill always very expensive.never pack bags for customers either,they have better competitin in last fw years but no deli is as good near them.as for the publicans,they've ripped the piss with they're high prices and will feel the pinch forever until they create good value,free minerals,buybacks,happy hours.they'll claim that m.e.a.s will hammer them if the give away booze(club k and cuba could b in trouble) but they could all bring pints below 3.50 and make money,loads more people would go for a few more pints rather than going in locked at 12.30 nd drinking two drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    You can mention rip off without mentioning Eddie Rockets. Crazy prices for crap food.

+1:(

• Advertisement

Drink Fosters, €3 to €3.50(its meant to be €3 everywhere but a lot of places have added a bit more on, Skeff still has it as €3)

Advertisement