Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local ripoffs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I know that tills in certain city pubs are programmed to up prices at certain times during the night and staff just play along because all they are doing is keying in the prices and give back the change accordingly. Hopefully the pubs will crucify themselves eventually by what they are doing to their loyal customers at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I think (& stand to be corrected here) that pubs could always charge more for drink after midnight & cite extra employee charges. I remember hearing that years ago but surprised if it's still happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    You can mention rip off without mentioning Eddie Rockets. Crazy prices for crap food.

I can't stand that place. €17 for a burger, a tiny portion of chips and a drink is a rip-off. Wouldn't surprise me if they follow in the footsteps of O'Briens's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Flannerys hotel

' Special Race Week Menu'

15 quid for a burger

30 for a Steak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Flannerys hotel

You think the food was a rip off, they quoted someone I know €200 a night for a room for August. That was €800 for 4 nights:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

I don't know the name of the shop but it's the one across from the Quays bar... It's unbelievably expensive. Paid €1.05 for a packet of Maltesers today!
    I dunno how they get away with the prices they charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Because people like you spend money in there.

The only way these places will learn is if you just take your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

ouch! I don't usually shop there because it's so feicing overpriced but today was a once off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'd have handed them back. Might sound scabby but that's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I don't know the name of the shop but it's the one across from the Quays bar... It's unbelievably expensive. Paid €1.05 for a packet of Maltesers today!
    Number Ten? Yep, it's ridiculous. Live near it but try to go as little as I possibly can. Dunnes all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

RE: Flannerys, I had customers in our shop a couple of weeks saying that they stayed in Flannerys and found the prices excellent, and said that the rooms were really good, too.

As for the pubs upping their prices, I thought that that was illegal. Have any of you asked for receipts with your drinks (most pubs give them out with peoples change) before and after midnight, then sent copies to the consumer authority? The recipts will show times and dates. Also, the pub should have prices on clear display, pictures of which can easily be taken with your camera phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Also Charcoal Grill have put up all their prices!! Kebabs etc all up by 50cent. Drinks 20c. €8.90 now for a large kebab with cheese!!! :mad::mad::mad:[/quote]

Oh the hell are they fooling, i went in there a few months ago and i ordered a kebab meal which was 9.50 i thought jeez thats expensive but what the hell im starving, next thing your man says to me that will be 11.50:eek: i said hang on it says 9.50 there, he says thats for take away, i said ure kidding 11.50? you can forget about it:mad: and walked out the door, i refuse to go in there since then and i bet im not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Carraig

The thing is to complain. Ordered the "Steak Bap" in The Dáil Bar the other day at lunch for 11.95 including chips. About 4 or 5 small pieces of thin meat with a few onions on a bap arrived out. Called the manageress over and asked for more , a la Oliver!. Got a funny look but I stood my ground, said what I'd been served wasn't worth the money and waited to see what would happen. She took it away and came back with a decent serving.
    Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

I'd agree with that sentiment. The difference between serving up a good meal and a shabby one is I'll tip with a good one, I'll give out for a bad one. I think we're too slow to call people up on things and show them what's what. I mean when you're paying over a tenner for your lunch it should be damn good. One of my pet hates is being charged for tap water OR when bread is given and then you're charged for it but never asked for it to begin with...Oh I feel another thread coming on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

i said ure kidding and walked out the door...

I see that your username fits you very well. It must have been a bargain...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I asked for cream in my coffee recently in a town branch of a coffee chain and the girl tried to charge me 50c extra for the priviledge. I politely informed her that their Salthill branch had never charged me for same and that I had no intention of paying 50c for a tiny amount of cream, as I was substituting it for milk and they didn't charge for milk. She promptly removed the 50c charge.

Only 50c I know but still, it was the principle of the thing. I think we as consumers just need to stand up for ourselves more.

Have heard that most hotels in Galway won't budge on their prices for August.

At the end of the day they're only kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Carraig wrote: »
    The thing is to complain. Ordered the "Steak Bap" in The Dáil Bar the other day at lunch for 11.95 including chips. About 4 or 5 small pieces of thin meat with a few onions on a bap arrived out. Called the manageress over and asked for more , a la Oliver!. Got a funny look but I stood my ground, said what I'd been served wasn't worth the money and waited to see what would happen. She took it away and came back with a decent serving.
    Worth a try.

Fair play Carraig. This is what we need a lot more of. Theres a heap of whingers out there, and what is needed is firm action. If its not as advertised or your not happy with it DONT PAY. Complain.

Get up stand up, strutt your funky stuff:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Since we had a thread about local bargains, think it would be a good idea to warn people of local ripoffs...

Last night in the function room of the Galway Bay hotel:
    Red Bull - €4.55 :eek:
    200ml Coke - €2.95

Sorry but that is a total ripoff. No feckin' way i'd have paid that (they were bought for me I just saw the receipt) - if I hadn't opened the Red Bull before seeing the receipt I would have brought the feckin' thing back to the bar for a refund.

A lot of hotels are now reducing their prices for weddings, offering very good deals. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if they try and claw-back the money by increasing bar prices on items such as Red Bull, soft-drinks, mixers. As someone else said, when comparing prices between pubs, most of us just look at the price of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Drink Fosters, €3 to €3.50

Call me crazy but I think I'd rather throw the extra 90c to a E1 for a decent drink that doesn't have to be "forced down" and lacks the raw sewage taste. If you want maximum alcohol content per cent, I recommend necking a bottle of port from aldi.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Carraig wrote: »
    Worth a try.

Same as, (in general I do like the place/food)...however I was in there last week, ordered the steak and winter vegetable pie (?) which usually is a great value for money meal, the one I got however was really really watery and horrible, so I went over to the waitress and asked her to take it away because I wouldn't be eating it, she asked if I'd like anything to to replace it with so I got the steak bap, which was lovely despite being loaded with onions :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ordered a hot chicken roll there a few weeks ago with cheese, onion, lettuce and coleslaw - €5.15 !

I asked the girl at the till was it a mistake and she said no as they charge €1.10 for the coleslaw which is what brought the price up so much.

I asked her for the manager and she said he wasn't there, so I said to tell him that he was ripping people off with prices like that.

I gave my roll back and took my business elsewhere.

I also had a packet of chewing gum - green extra, and she was charging me 85 cent for them !

These shops/garages etc are then moaning about the minimum wage being too high while they take the p!ss with crazy prices :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

As far as i know it is legal to put your prices up after midnight, but only if you're paying the bar staff time and a half at said times too. My uncle runs a pub and said so, but he made a strong point in telling me that it is consideed bad practice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ordered a hot chicken roll there a few weeks ago with cheese, onion, lettuce and coleslaw - €5.15 !

I asked the girl at the till was it a mistake and she said no as they charge €1.10 for the coleslaw which is what brought the price up so much.

I asked her for the manager and she said he wasn't there, so I said to tell him that he was ripping people off with prices like that.

I gave my roll back and took my business elsewhere.

I also had a packet of chewing gum - green extra, and she was charging me 85 cent for them !

These shops/garages etc are then moaning about the minimum wage being too high while they take the p!ss with crazy prices :mad:

I done THE SAME IN THE CENTRA DOWN IN Forster Street last year, i usually got my same regular roll there all the time and it would cost 3.60, then one day i goes in orders it and goes to the till and it was 4.10:eek: isaid there must be some mistake so i went back down to the deli to Inquire and this wan tells me thats the price i said it was always 3.60 and she said no it was always 4.10 and that maybe someone had entered the wrong price when i got it before, well i said ive been cominhg here about 5 months and it has always been 3.60 so dont even try and lie to me:mad: and you can keep ure stinking roll, sell it to some other mug:mad: havent gone back there since, now i just go to Lidl to get a nice sandwich for 2.20:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I had lunch in that restaurant above Zhivago on Shop Street (Lynchs Castle??) a few weeks ago.

I ordered the breast of chicken from the carvey. They re-heated it under a grill type thing, as i made my way to a till.

Paid a tenner for it and it tasted like sh1te, i should have complained, or handed it back. I was fcuking stunned that it was so bad. It was only after leaving that i realised that i'd been totally shafted.

Pure muck. Not going back there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

rarnes1 wrote: »

But isn't their explanation for the high prices the high wage bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

I didn't feel like drinking alcohol yesterday as I had been boozing the previous few days so i went for a cranberry juice instead...cost me 3.55 euros in the salthouse, a bit steep for a soft drink IMO

I usually get stung for stupid things like

A) getting a bottle of wine or something that is in a section where it says 9.99 or whatever but then it's 20 euros or something when I pay as they just placed it in a section with a cheap tag relying on the fact I wouldn't study the tag and just see the price, cheeky B**tards and also relying on my reluctance to cause a scene/seem like a tight git at the counter

B) some clothes shops again have tags but with the prices in british sterling, up you go to the counter thinking you have a bargain then you get stung/shocked when the guy/gal tells you the price in euros, again sometimes i don't want to cause a scene/seem like a tight git and end up paying it

I think often a lot of people whinge/whine about it afterwards more coz they are angry with themselves for not giving out more when it actually mattered in the restaurant/shop etc., thankfully lately i am being more assertive and telling these cowboys where to go albeit in a calm way, i am not really bothered what the fourteen people behind me in the queue think, i don't give them the evil eye when they take out 12 vouchers to pay for their yoghurt or whatever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I had lunch in that restaurant above Zhivago on Shop Street (Lynchs Castle??) a few weeks ago.

I ordered the breast of chicken from the carvey. They re-heated it under a grill type thing, as i made my way to a till.

Paid a tenner for it and it tasted like sh1te, i should have complained, or handed it back. I was fcuking stunned that it was so bad. It was only after leaving that i realised that i'd been totally shafted.

Pure muck. Not going back there again.

The staff in there are very rude too, one day 5 of us were in there, 4 of us where eating and a man came over and asked the one who wasnt eating to leave. I havn't been back in there since. They keep putting the prices up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Kudos to the people who actually do something about bad service or overpricing instead of just complaining on here. Wish more people did it. I did it recently in the newly reopened Racing Lodge, got the worst lunch of my life, not even a joke, complained to the barman but the manager wasn't available, got 2 lunches for the price of 1 and he didn't charge the drinks either, he was embarrassed as it was far from the first complaint they had.
    Another one, I drink a half litre of milk every day with my lunch whenever I get a roll. Most shops 65-70c for 500ml. Topaz Newcastle charge €1.05 - 50% more than anywhere else! Only noticed when I got to the till, I used get a roll there all the time, one day I queried the price of the milk and told the shop assistant the price elsewhere, he just shrugged and said "well shop elsewhere then". Left the roll and milk on the counter and told him I would, haven't been back since...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zzippy wrote: »
    Topaz Newcastle charge €1.05 - 50% more than anywhere else! Only noticed when I got to the till, I used get a roll there all the time, one day I queried the price of the milk and told the shop assistant the price elsewhere, he just shrugged and said "well shop elsewhere then". Left the roll and milk on the counter and told him I would, haven't been back since...

They also have what I consider the most expensive off-license in Galway. €2.85 for a can of Bulmers :eek: Out of principle I avoid that place anymore, even the petrol is damn expensive there (yet it's still always busy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Zzippy wrote: »
    Another one, I drink a half litre of milk every day with my lunch whenever I get a roll. Most shops 65-70c for 500ml. Topaz Newcastle charge €1.05 - 50% more than anywhere else! Only noticed when I got to the till, I used get a roll there all the time, one day I queried the price of the milk and told the shop assistant the price elsewhere, he just shrugged and said "well shop elsewhere then". Left the roll and milk on the counter and told him I would, haven't been back since...

Topaz in Westside is the same, I paid €4 for half a litre of milk, a half pan of bread and a galaxy in there the other night. I was tempted to just leave but nowhere else was open.

Advertisement