Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you afraid?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wouldnt ever really be afraid. I dont let myself get scared/worried about something that might possibly happen. I can be stubborn that way. Thats not to say that i'm not aware or cautious when the situation calls for it. But I've gotten in a few situations in my life, that maybe could have been avoided if i had been more careful/less stubborn. A little fear isnt a bad thing from time to time.

Its kind of easier for me to have that attitude though, as i'm a fairly big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

chocgirl wrote: »
    Also always check my back seat before I start driving, just a glance but I never forget. Little things like that.

That's just in horror movies you know. I think it's really unfortunate that you feel the need to do that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I would replace the word fear with 'more aware ' which is a natural reaction to all the bad news we hear all the time with stabbings ,shootings , muggings .As the saying goes 'the only real fear is of fear itself ' .Obiously if you live in a bad area or neighborhood your sense of danger might be highlighted more ( or blown out of proportion ) depending on the individual .If you walk around appearing nervous all the time it will show, so possibly making you a softer target to those who intimidate or prey on the weak .I do not let anybody or anything intimadate me in my daily lfe but that is not to say that I couldn't find myself in an akward situation ,same as anybody anywere .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm afraid when I'm walking round town on my own, because I got mugged before. I just feel vulnerable on my own, in certain parts of the city.
    Im a teenage girl and wasnt really scared until i got mugged a couple of weeks ago. Now im aware of everything around me maybe a bit more than i should be but don't want anything to happen again.

Logically, it just makes sense that your "afraidness" level is somewhat proportionate to the reasons and experiences you've had to be afraid. I'd definitely think that once something scary happens to you, you'd be a bit more fearful of it happening again as opposed to someone who hasn't had anything scary happen to them.

Many people are just afraid because we've had scary stuff implanted in our minds for years, things to be cautious of, and wary about . . . yes, it's common sense to not go around flashing your valuables or cut through dark alleyways at night, but we're also told to walk with keys in between your fingers (in case we need to use them as a weapon!), and not to stop for a stranger on the side of the road when you're driving alone (it could be a trick!), and to ask the security guard to go with you to your car in a dark parking lot (you could get attacked!). It's good to be prepared, but I think it leaves a lot of us looking over our shoulder a lot of the time, whether or not we're actually afraid.
    chocgirl wrote: »
    Also always check my back seat before I start driving, just a glance but I never forget. Little things like that.
    Khannie wrote: »
    That's just in horror movies you know. I think it's really unfortunate that you feel the need to do that. :(

Hey, I do it too. I also check under my car -- for the same reason that I check the house before I lock up at night. In spite of this, I still wouldn't say I'm particularly afraid . . . but I am careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Yeah I hope you're right, it does sound a bit mad reading back over it but ya never know like I said only a glance:)

• Advertisement

SeekUp wrote: »
    I also check under my car

What do you expect to (potentially) find there?

Nothing, realistically. :rolleyes:

But when I started driving, my parents just told me to check around my car before getting in (perhaps just in case anyone was hoping to take advantage of a teenage girl).

Just stuck with me, I suppose . . .

SeekUp wrote: »
    Nothing, realistically. :rolleyes:

I wasn't being a bollix. It was a genuine question. :) I was trying to understand why you'd bother like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have my own weird little phobias, but I'm definitely not afraid on a day-to-day basis. If I'm walking through town or whatever on my own, I'm generally just away in my own little world in my head, rather than worrying what's going on around me :rolleyes:

Having said that, I do take sensible precautions. I don't go around with any valuables obviously on display. If I have to walk somewhere alone at night, I make a point of being aware of what's happening around me and I'll always have arranged to call/text someone to let them know I've arrived wherever I'm going. If I'm getting into my car in a deserted area at night, I make a point of locking the doors immediately when I get in (I babysit a good bit so often end up out and about late at night.) But in my opinion that's all common sense, in specific situations, rather than excessive paranoia about being attacked.

Unfortunately I have let my guard down when I've been drinking in the past. It hasn't happened often, and I've been lucky in that I've never been attacked or anything because of it, but I've done stupid things like walking home alone and drunk through dodgy areas at 3 in the morning, and going home with strangers (many years ago before I met my fiance!) But hey, I was young and stupid and have hopefully learned my lessons!

I'd hate to live in a constant state of fear. I just can't imagine it. Maybe I'm a little bit naive, but I'd rather be naive and carefree than to be always afraid of what's around the next corner. Bad things can and do happen no matter how careful you are, so you might as well relax (within reason!) and enjoy life.

I wasn't being a bollix. It was a genuine question. :) I was trying to understand why you'd bother like.

Oh, I know, I figured! 'Tis why I answered honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Nope, I'm probably way too oblivious for my own good! Lived alone for a year and that bever bothered me either... My family home is way out in the country and the back door is always open all day. Ah, the trust :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm not afraid, but then again, I'm very careful (within reason, I'll happily walk alone in the daytime etc.). If I weren't careful, I'd probably be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I'm afraid! I'm afraid of lots of things..

I live in Maynooth, which is lovely and I feel perfectly safe here, provided I'm not sober and walking down the main street at half four in the morning surrounded by drunk fupppers.

I grew up in Dublin and I love Dublin with all my heart, I've been mugged 6 times, the most recent one the guy pushed me and I broke my ankle so I suppose I'm a bit shaken up about that.

This is going to sound really weird but since I met my OH who's very protective and very scary looking sometimes I'm actually more scared without him then before I met him, I dunno whether its just he makes me feel safe or maybe i'm just really really paranoid and crazy. I also have a fear of falling, which means that I'm afraid of tripping myself up and falling flat on my face so that can be worrying on a daily basis!

Wow.. reading that back I really am paranoid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I'm very afraid of alot of day to day things, and it's stuff I can't avoid,

For example, the childminding I do, I'm scared of the dogs that are in the house, they jump up and bark for no reason and get really angry at each other and they bark really aggressivley at me when I'm cooking and stuff. I HATE dogs anyway but these ones make me so nervous...

I hate crossing the road, saw someone get runover at a zebra crossing once and it shook me up alot, I'm having alot of problems with my teeth atm, so am terrified of dentists and of my teeth falling out... I'm generally quite aware and afraid of having no money, how I'm going to afford college, afraid for my parents and how they're coping with their own problems (mum just got over alot of heart trouble so that's still on my mind) etc etc

And then I worry alot aswell, about terrorism, about making people happy, about my siblings, about everything really... but although it may seem that I'm burdened down with all this, it's just kinda something that's at the back of my mind all the time, and then stuff like the dogs just make me really jumpy.

I think I should lie down :rolleyes:

meganj wrote: »
    I've been mugged 6 times

You should probably learn a bit about what muggers look for. I was mugged a bunch of times as a youngfella, but not once in the last 10 years. I have a bit more cop on / awareness. I'm also bigger (I was very skinny as a youngfella). In short, I'm less of a soft target than I used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

You should probably learn a bit about what muggers look for. I was mugged a bunch of times as a youngfella, but not once in the last 10 years. I have a bit more cop on / awareness. I'm also bigger (I was very skinny as a youngfella). In short, I'm less of a soft target than I used to be.

I have a feeling I just have some sort of victim sign stamped on my forehead! I do tend to be very unaware of my surroundings mainly because I'm so concious of where I'm putting my feet in case I fall over!!!

My muggings (bar the last one) have never been that bad, usually because I just hand over my stuff without any complaints, it's rare that I have anything stolen of value, mostly because I never have any money I have learnt though to keep my phone in a pocket, some cash in another pocket and everything else useless in my handbag.

I'm not that trusting of a person, so I'd consider myself unafraid. My attitude is "what happens, happens. Deal with it." I'd love to say that I'd be unflinching in the face of danger, but sinnce I've never been put to the test, I can't really say that.

Now as for being afraid of women, now that's a different story.........

(PI forum thataway.....)

Advertisement