Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought chainsaw on impulse

Options
  • 02-08-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I bought a ryobi 40cc 18ins. chainsaw on impulse for 199 euro, but I have since read bad reviews. I havn't used it yet and only need it for occasional use and tend to be easy on tools. does anyone have any experience of using Ryobi saws?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Cant talk about the specific manufacturer but c/saws are probably the most dangerous tool for casual use:)
    Infrequent use with a petrol c/saw can be troublesome, depending on the actual engine

I would bring it back if u can and perhaps look at a shark saw, depends what the use is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

sculptor wrote: »
    I bought a ryobi 40cc 18ins. chainsaw on impulse for 199 euro, but I have since read bad reviews. I havn't used it yet and only need it for occasional use and tend to be easy on tools. does anyone have any experience of using Ryobi saws?

Which model and are you interested to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some of the Ryobi saws can be very good units others so so.
    It depends on the engine manufacturer, Ryobi doesn't make engines they just buy them in from whoever makes them and fit them to their own chassis.
    Redmax based machines are very good others not so good.
    If you are using it infrequently make sure you run the saw out of fuel before it is stored, empty the tank out and idle the saw until it stops.
    Nothing worse than stale fuel sitting in a machine for a lengthy time.
    Use only fresh petrol in them as well and good quality oil synthetic oil at 50:1 and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Carlow, I was looking for a critque of the tool not the person, after 35 years of hard work I'm having tendon trouble hence the need for a power saw.
    CJ. Thanks for your inteligent comments,The shop sticker said Komatsu - Ryobi. I read the hand book and then reread the bad reviews and it seems that people dont follow instructions and respect their equipment.
    Sonny I got it in W###ies their might be more about but sometimes you have to rummage around in their displays.

Komatsu is Redmax, good saws.
    Relax, keep the chain sharp and out of the dirt and you will be fine.
    Just one thing, 18" is too big a bar for that size saw, If possible a 16" would be a much better size and will make a big difference to the operation of the saw.

• Advertisement

Thanks again CJ, will take your advice on blade size.

Not sure this applies to your model Ryobi but...
    The fuel line inside the tank can be too long causing problems with running if the tank level falls too low, and the fuel filter on the end can be very light and float.
    Solution to the fuel line is to have a look inside the tank(empty) and see where the fuel line is sitting, it should be long enough to reach the bottom at all angles but not too long that it might hold the filter out of the fuel if the tank is half full. Trim if necessary.
    The fuel filter can be swapped for another or get a piece of lead strip and wrap it around the fuel line just above the filter to weight it down.

But then it wont be unleaded and I'll be breaking EU regulations, and I'll end up sharing a cell with the Thomas Cook workers.

Advertisement