Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel - sore eyes

Options
  • 02-08-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Ive woken up this morning to find my springer spaniel with really sore eyes, he can barely open them after being asleep, and theres yellow puss coming out....he can open them a little better when he goes out for a run, but once he comes back in and lies down, he cant open them again. He has a history of eczema, but never this bad with his eyes before...hes 4 yrs old.

Typical that it happens on a bank holiday weekend, is there anything I can treat him with until I get to a vet on Tues?? Is it serious especially with the puss coming out? I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light as I'm worried about this. Thanks. JH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm doesn't sound good, aren't spaniels prone to glaucoma? (that's worse case scenario btw) but I just mean that they might be susceptible to eye infections/conjunctivitis?
    Have you cleaned his eyes with cotton wool and warm water? I would keep a very close eye on him. Have you any dog eye drops or anything?
    Just I know if it's pus then it can be serious if untreated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ive cleaned the puss away with a soft tissue....I'll try the cotton wool and warm water if it comes back. He gets eczema fairly often, usually underneath his belly....and usually you can see it a bit in his eyes too, you can see a little redness....but never this bad and never with puss streaming out. I'll defo stay near him for the day and if not much improvement then I'll have to try find an emergency vet somewhere...

No I dont have any drops Im afraid....a good thing I suppose is that I've caught it early, because when I left him out at 6am this morning his eyes seemed ok, so it seems its just come on him in the last few hours. So at least it hasnt been like that for days undetected.

Yeah cotton wool and warm water I find is good - my dogs tear ducts are prone to blocking up due to their breed so I clean them daily with that.
    I've never had a dog with eczema so I don't know if that's normal - the pus etc in the eyes. Where are you based? There's an emergency vet in UCD (I went there before on a Sunday)

Im in Limerick....now that I think of it I believe the local vet is known for doing the odd out-of-hours job on an animal, if its serious enough.....but I wont know til later in the day, and depends on whether hes around this weekend which he may not be.

Just a case of keeping a watch over him I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Add a teaspoon of salt to a pint of cool boiled water and use that to dampen the cotton wool, its a natural antiseptic and i would do that 4 times a day. If he has skin allergies that will not help his eyes its like people and hay fever. If you do find drops, DO NOT put them in his eyes as there might be damage to his cornea and the wrong drops can make things worse. If you can get to the vet regular cleaning should see you through to tuesday but bring him tuesday morning, first thing.

• Advertisement

Thanks v much Jules, Ive already given them a clean, I'll use that method for the next few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would the salt not sting a lot?

As said, warm water to keep cleaning the eyes regularly and as said the wrong drops or ointment could do more damage esp. as eyes are so sensative. If it does get worse before Tuesday see if the vets can see him.
    Some of the larger practices have an out of hours surgery there is a call out but with some you can take the dog in to the surgery and they meet you there.

I hate having to take any animals to the vet on weekends or out of hours feel so bad. But typically they usually have to go and get sick on a weekend.

I'm guessing that with just 1 teaspoon to a pint of water that it might not sting too much? Even if if did a little it would be worth it just to keep control of the infection...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Salt solution at that low a concentration won't sting - it is much kinder to the eye than plain water. As most body fluids contain salt, a saline solution is less invasive and more easily assimilated by the body. If you think of eye wash solutions, eg, Optrex, contact lens solutions, etc, these are all saline.

Just wondering if your spaniel is coming into contact with an irritant or allergen that is causing the problem?
    but once he comes back in and lies down, he cant open them again.
    when I left him out at 6am this morning his eyes seemed ok, so it seems its just come on him in the last few hours.

Well to be quite honest, I think hes taking after me....a hay fever sufferer!! Grass seems to be his problem, or maybe the longer stuff....but it seems like everytime he goes for a ramble thru the long stuff, he contracts his eczema or mad itching....so he probably went for one this morning. Just the other day I had to pull what looked like grass seeds out from underneath his eyelids so that may well be the problem right there.....but what can I do about it, a dog has to run free once in a while.

But really I dont care how many times a have to take him to the vet if its "just" an allergy problem, as long as its nothing to do with his eyeballs....I got quiet a fright when I discovered him looking at me, and he couldnt actually see thru his swollen eyelids. Have given his eyes a good few wipes now today....so grateful for all your info and help thus far :);)

• Advertisement

Well at least you've a fair idea what's causing it and it's nothing overly serious thank goodness. Just best to keep him away from long grass for prolonged periods and be sure to keep his eyes clean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

At this time of year the seed heads on grass will be releasing tiny seeds and pollen dust, so very likely this is causing the reaction in your dog's eyes, especially as he is already known to be sensitive to allergens. Prevention is better than cure - only allow him access to short, cut grass, bathe his eyes as soon as he returns from his walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

when my kitten had an eye infection, my vet recommended cleaning over the cat's eyes with a lukewarm teabag as it has tannin in it which is naturally antibacterial. I know black tea contains it, most herbal teas don't, I'm not sure if green tea does. It may be worth a try if it seems infected.

Advertisement