Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish mma, nonsense?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ive been reading these boards now for a while just trying to take things in and i now have a few questions about the world of Irish MMA if anyone can enlighten me:

Titles

How does a fighter become ranked to fight for one of the numerous titles that claim to Irish Champion etc

as an example from these boards:

WIMMAO - belts ive seen mentioned in some posts?

i done a bit of research myself, this seems to be some sort of website that just sells you a belt:

http://www.worldinternationalmartialarts.com/#/sanctioning-fees/4522911147

£290 buys you a european title plus a score for postage and packaging

So for me to become the WIMMAO European Champion i send these guys £310 and hey presto im a european mma champion

What exactly have these title holders done to earn themselves a title? ( and please dont think that i am getting at the fighters,who no doubt give their all) had a couple of fights where a promoter/club owner has bought a title?
    What if any credibility can be claimed for the "title", by the promoter or indeed the martial artist who has gained it?

Is this just a way for trainers or club owners to run shows with "Titles" to feather their own nests

Pro/Amateur

It seems like a nonsense that there are Class A, B & C professional rules.

Surely you are a professional or not

Not:
    class c - sort of a pro,
    class b - Slightly more Pro
    class a - Pro

it should be:

Professional Rules
    Amateur Rules

nothin else, you either train and fight as a pro or not

there seems to be a lot of nonsence going on, surely there needs to be one unified body that is recongnised by everyone in irish mma with one set of titles that actually means something

im not trying to get at anyone here, and im a big fan of mma, but a lot of things just don't make sense.

discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest you have pointed out nothing that doesn't affect pretty much every country that has an MMA scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

boyobhoy wrote: »
    Pro/Amateur

Not:
    class c - sort of a pro,
    class a - Pro

it should be:

Professional Rules
    Amateur Rules

I'll ignore the rant at the start of the message cause I've no comment on that! :confused:

But this bit about A, B, C Class. Are you on Glue? Do you have any notion as to how the world works? You realise that much smarter people than me or you (certainly you) have put these categories in place for the good of the sport. C Class is there for people to gain experience without the risk associated with Full Rules. Its also there for people like myself who can't risk losing my job because some guy sat on my chest and smashed the b'jesus out of my face.

I don't mean to have a go at ya. I just don't understand how you came to the conclusion that you either train and fight as a PRO or else don't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ive been reading these boards now for a while just trying to take things in and i now have a few questions about the world of Irish MMA if anyone can enlighten me:
    Titles
    How does a fighter become ranked to fight for one of the numerous titles that claim to Irish Champion etc as an example from these boards:
    WIMMAO - belts ive seen mentioned in some posts?
    i done a bit of research myself, this seems to be some sort of website that just sells you a belt:
    http://www.worldinternationalmartialarts.com/#/sanctioning-fees/4522911147
    £290 buys you a european title plus a score for postage and packaging
    So for me to become the WIMMAO European Champion i send these guys £310 and hey presto im a european mma champion
    What exactly have these title holders done to earn themselves a title? ( and please dont think that i am getting at the fighters,who no doubt give their all) had a couple of fights where a promoter/club owner has bought a title?
    What if any credibility can be claimed for the "title", by the promoter or indeed the martial artist who has gained it?
    Is this just a way for trainers or club owners to run shows with "Titles" to feather their own nests Pro/Amateur
    Not:
    class c - sort of a pro,
    class b - Slightly more Pro class a - Pro
    it should be:
    Professional Rules
    Amateur Rules
    there seems to be a lot of nonsence going on, surely there needs to be one unified body that is recongnised by everyone in irish mma with one set of titles that actually means something
    im not trying to get at anyone here, and im a big fan of mma, but a lot of things just don't make sense.
    discuss
    Titles dont mean anything but they do make for more excitement and are a good promotional tool, i could make a rumble in rush title if i choose and it just means your the champion of my promotion and nothing else, now if that champion was the recognised best in ireland i would count the title as the most important in ireland, to be the best you need to beat the best around, if your in the scene the best few fighters are well known and then the few potential contenders are also know too-moving on, c class is not professional in any manner and is not meant to be! Its amateur and the term semi pro is to seperate it from league rules fights etc.. But it is amateur in reality as fighters dont get payed and dont take head punches to the ground- thats my take on it anyway.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Ive been reading these boards now for a while just trying to take things in and i now have a few questions

Yet you have only regestered today?

How does a fighter become ranked to fight for one of the numerous titles that claim to Irish Champion etc

The common thing is to win a few fights in a row pretty much the same as any MMA promo in the world. We do not have an official island wide ranking system.

Do you understand the idea of sanctioning a belt from an independant org?

They fight for them. What else would you like them to do? Is a guy that has a (5-0-0) record not a credible champion?

Pro/Amateur

Not:
    class c - sort of a pro,
    class a - Pro

it should be:

Professional Rules
    Amateur Rules

discuss

You just sound like a trouble maker my friend. The Class system has been in place in Ireland for quite some time and from what you wrote above you just dont understand it. A and B-Class are Pro C and D-Class are Amateur.
    If you research even more you will find that this is how MMA is all over europe. Some Promos just use Pro and Amateur. A-Class and C-Class. But thats cool. You do not have to accomodate B-Class rules if you dont want to. But people want to fight these rules.

There are very few titles in Ireland. EFR have a full set. Tribal Warfare have one or two. Spartan Promotions have a few. Are you gonna tell the guys that hold them the dont mean anything? Im not.

MMA in Ireland is fairly young and the "senior" players are trying to make it a professional as possible. We have no Governing body. Nor do we need one just yet. In the future it would benifit us all. But its just not just a case of setting it up. It will take alot of time.

Thanks for your time
    Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

I dont think we'll be hearing from him again....lol..:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement