Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposing Property Tax

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The problem with a property tax is it will start at €200 and over a few years it will go up to €1000. Once they bring it in they can do whatever they want with it. Anyone notice how fat Brian Linehan is getting? The more he wants to tax us the fatter he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

galwayrush wrote: »
    no way am i going to pay another tax,:(
    Same here. I would rather go to jail than pay another property tax. The government got enough already from 9% stamp duty on the overpriced bubble they created. Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

jimmmy wrote: »
    Same here. I would rather go to jail than pay another property tax. The government got enough already from 9% stamp duty on the overpriced bubble they created. Shame on them.

its 10% in Spain BTW

and they had an even bigger bubble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

jimmmy wrote: »

If stamp duty was lower, wouldn't this have made the property bubble worse?

Shouldn't you be thanking the government for trying to dampen the property market with high rates of stamp duty? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If stamp duty was lower, it would have curtailed government expenditure, and we wouldn't be running as large a deficit as we are now due to the collapse of Stamp Duty and VRT income.

It would also have allowed Irish people to remain more mobile after losing their first time buyer exemption, rather than being stuck in a house, as they can't afford to trade up due to stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnlamp

Found this great property blog on the topic of new property tax due by the end of september, the post is titled: €200 Property Tax: Fined for making an investment? and is on the MyHome.ie blog

http://blog.myhome.ie/post/Property-tax-on-second-homes-Are-you-being-fined-for-making-an-investment.aspx

Alot of the comments basically show that this is a tax on a tax, we have already paid the stamp duty, most of us have either had a reduction in our wages or have been let go ... how much more... time for a change in government I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

astrofool wrote: »
    If stamp duty was lower, it would have curtailed government expenditure
    How so? Surely if the exhequer is receiving no stamp duty income, the govt revenue v expenditure will tilt the other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

johnlamp wrote: »
    Found this great property blog on the topic of new property tax due by the end of september, the post is titled: €200 Property Tax: Fined for making an investment? and is on the MyHome.ie blog

http://blog.myhome.ie/post/Property-tax-on-second-homes-Are-you-being-fined-for-making-an-investment.aspx

Alot of the comments basically show that this is a tax on a tax, we have already paid the stamp duty, most of us have either had a reduction in our wages or have been let go ... how much more... time for a change in government I think

oh cry me a river

200euro on a second + home

thats not an investment

investment is putting money into business thru things like shares, that creates jobs, products and service that can be exported

putting money into housing is not an investment and does not generate wealth

the celtic tiger kitty is dead stop trying to flog it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My blood boils.....
    Taken from the report on taxation

4.10 An annual property tax should have regard to ability to pay
    All residential housing units – with the exception of local authority and social housing provided units –should be liable to the tax. However, account must be taken of cases where there is inability to pay.
    • A general waiver provision exempting house-owners under a low income threshold should be provided. The onus should be on the taxpayer to seek a waiver. The income threshold should have regard to criteria such as long-term social welfare rates and the annualised minimum wage
    • In other cases where there is inability to pay, and by election of the taxpayer where appropriate criteria are met, the tax could be deferred and recovered when the property is subsequently sold or transferred. Where a liability is deferred, interest should apply at a rate equivalent to the time value of money and not the rates applicable to outstanding taxes.
    The principal target group for this deferral option is those on lower income with valuable properties who lack the cash resources to finance an annual tax.

So in my instance, I am married, both of us have lost our jobs, we paid stamp duty on the site for the house we are building, inability to pay means nothing.

What is so wrong with taxation on income?????????????? My HOME does not generate an income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Feckinhellman

I'm interested in what you say ."If You don't pay are you willing to go to jail" .What if you can't pay .How do they intend to make us (Pay)suffer.

What can they do to you if you don't pay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AntiPropertyTax

For anyone who is opposed to the threatened property tax, this is the time to be writing, e-mailing and calling on your local TD's. We have to make them aware of the depth of anger there is about this tax, and that it will cost them votes at the next election, and the election after that and the one after that too. Only by persuading Fianna Fail backbenchers that this tax will lead to them losing their seats can we hope to defeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I'm interested in what you say ."If You don't pay are you willing to go to jail" .What if you can't pay .How do they intend to make us (Pay)suffer.

What can they do to you if you don't pay?

plop you into a smaller house in an area thats suitable for your social class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

So bringing out another tax which gives another reason for people not to work cause they will be another couple of hundred euro better of sitting at home than working.

If it is going to be determine by the value of the house.

So I bought a house 30 years ago for 20K and it is valued at 500K less say.

How does this work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

gman2k wrote: »
    My HOME does not generate an income.
    The idea is partly to discourage people investing in houses or making them more valuable. It's also an extension of FF's anti-Dublin policies, favouring those with lower-value rural housing.

Small wonder they're barely holding 11% support in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

The idea is partly to discourage people investing in houses or making them more valuable. It's also an extension of FF's anti-Dublin policies, favouring those with lower-value rural housing.

Small wonder they're barely holding 11% support in Dublin.

really? i thought this stuff was actually pro-Urban because it will affect people who live in a large country home but don't really have any money to spare. its all a matter of perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Dankoozy wrote: »
    really? i thought this stuff was actually pro-Urban because it will affect people who live in a large country home but don't really have any money to spare. its all a matter of perspective
    What you say would only be true if they based the tax on the size of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thms.kelly

i would gladly join you in protest, as a family man with a wife who has just been made redundant,and three small kids, a overpriced mortgage that my meager wages struggle to pay, and my government want even more tax from me, there is so many people in this state that are just about keeping things together, this will be the final straw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

thms.kelly wrote: »
    i would gladly join you in protest, as a family man with a wife who has just been made redundant,and three small kids, a overpriced mortgage that my meager wages struggle to pay, and my government want even more tax from me, there is so many people in this state that are just about keeping things together, this will be the final straw
    Sounds like your weekly outgoings are fairly substantial? Is an extra €3.85 per week really going to be insurmountable?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thms.kelly

3.85 how did you conclude this??
    add whatever the tax may be onto what has already been taken out of our pockets in the last twelve months or so, and it is a substantial amount do you not think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Bought my home ( note I didnt say "property") in 1986. Castleknock. Still here. F*ck them if they think they are getting any more out of me. Lets not let it develop into a Dub V Country thing. Stand together.

• Advertisement

3.85 how did you conclude this??
    €200 / 52 weeks = €3.85 per week (approximately)
    add whatever the tax may be onto what has already been taken out of our pockets in the last twelve months or so, and it is a substantial amount do you not think so?
    It depends on individual circumstances I suppose. But we're talking specifically about the proposed property tax here, and while I haven't yet decided whether I support such a measure (it would depend on how it is implemented), I don't think an additional tax of €200 per year should be putting too many people in serious financial difficulty – we're talking less than the price of a pint per week here (depending on what part of the country you're in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

djpbarry wrote: »
    It depends on individual circumstances I suppose. But we're talking specifically about the proposed property tax here, and while I haven't yet decided whether I support such a measure (it would depend on how it is implemented), I don't think an additional tax of €200 per year should be putting too many people in serious financial difficulty – we're talking less than the price of a pint per week here (depending on what part of the country you're in).

There are approx. 1.3 million properties that would be taxed under this scheme.
    1.3 million x 200(the figure you quoted) is only about 250 million, less when you consider the local authority dwellers being exempt.
    There is no way a government will bring in a property tax of 200 euro if it will only make them 250million. It would be more like 1000 euro.
    Being a moderator i would have taught you would have more sense and not indirectly criticise someone for not wanting to pay the 3.85 a week YOU quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It will be a lot more than 200 a year. And even IF it did start at 200, you know this is the thin end of the wedge. It will only go up and up. They may indeed start it at a low figure like 200 to get it started and accepted without revolution but once they get a new tax in the door like this it will be milked for all they can get.
    Sounds like your weekly outgoings are fairly substantial? Is an extra €3.85 per week really going to be insurmountable?

Are you willing to pay €3.85 for something you think is VERY wrong? To me the amount is no tthe problem...it is the principal.

Being a moderator i would have taught you would have more sense and not indirectly criticise someone for not wanting to pay the 3.85 a week YOU quoted.
    First of all, the fact that I’m a moderator (of another forum) is irrelevant. Secondly, I went with €200 because it’s been bandied about on this thread a fair bit. And finally, I did not criticise anyone, but merely pointed out that an extra €200 per annum should really not be putting too many people in any serious financial difficulties.
    Ludo wrote: »
    Are you willing to pay €3.85 for something you think is VERY wrong?
    No, of course not. But that’s not the point I was making (see above).

Advertisement