Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semester X

Options
  • 02-08-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hows it,

Whats the deal with the extra semester, or semester x, in ucd? ive heard of people doing it, for instance if they dont get the 50 credits to go into second year, and then doing the modules they failed again as well as some second year subjects also until theyre up to the required credits to go officially into second year, and is there anywhere on the ucd site i can find this info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I don't know about the other faculties, but for arts, the "year X" thing no longer applies. AFAIK, from this september onwards, anyone without all the required credits goes into second year, but has to also make up the modules they failed i.e. they repeat some of the previous year's modules, but also take new, second year ones, which means that you can continue progressing with your degree. What happened with year/semester X was that you just took the modules you failed, and no new ones.

It now means that, at the end of the degree, they might have to do and extra semester to finish off some other modules. (Which is, in effect the same as spending a semester in the middle repeating modules, but I guess you feel better just being in "third year, rather than year X)

At least, that's how I understand it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ratucdm

rg2007 wrote: »
    Hows it,

Whats the deal with the extra semester, or semester x, in ucd? ive heard of people doing it, for instance if they dont get the 50 credits to go into second year, and then doing the modules they failed again as well as some second year subjects also until theyre up to the required credits to go officially into second year, and is there anywhere on the ucd site i can find this info?

If you contact the Students' Union, they have a guy, Donnacha the Education officer, who can tell you what Year X is all about. His details are on ucdsu.ie

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

cheers

Advertisement