Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovery from NAS with Linux filesystem?

• 02-08-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

My Buffalo Linkstation Quad NAS rebooted itself today and decided to come back on-line with a blank filesystem and 3Tb of data missing.

Lovely.

Can anyone recommend recovery software for the above scenario from hell? There are four 1Tb disks in the unit, configured RAID1 as one logical volume.

Many years ago I had similar situation and used RTools, but UFS explorer looks promising.

Basically I'm looking to recover the volume a) using Win32 software and b) without having to go buy a SATA rack to put all the drives in at once - I already have a basic USB device that I can plug a single SATA disk into - ideally imaging up each of the 1Tb disks to another NAS and letting the software rebuild the logical volume.

Is that possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'll answer my own question on this in case some poor sod is in the same situation and is doing a search on here.

Use UFS Explorer and image each of the 1tb SATA drives down to an .IMG file.

Then use UFS explorer to create a soft-RAID array, specifying the type of RAID (RAID0 in my case) and the stripe size (Buffalo uses 64k). Be careful to use the images in the order in which they are used in the physical array.

Use the 'Detect File System' option when you build the array and hopefully you should see all the files.

Advertisement