Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University fees

• 02-08-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭

The academic and DCU president, who has been one of the strongest voices for the return of University fees , has spent €880,000 in legal fees , paid for by tax payers I presume, in employment disputes.

Maybe he should spend his time and our money, working on his management style , rather than advising the country on bringing back college fees.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dcu-boss-forced-to-deny-nazi-father-slur-1849316.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

i blame the nazis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

jackncoke wrote: »
    i blame the nazis
    his father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jackncoke wrote: »
    i blame the nazis

I blame Godwin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Kinda off topic,

but I thought the whole reason for eliminating free fees was because we can no longer afford it.

With a loan system we would not start seeing any money back for another 4 years. By which time if the government do their jobs well we should be out of the worst of it anyway. And that's only when we'd start seeing the money back. We wouldn't get all the money back untill 9 years after students start in first year (or is that 9 + 3). During which time we'd have been paying out fees for year after year anyway.

So not only would it completely fail in providing a short term boost of cash to ease the budget deficit (the only reason i thought fees were up for discussion), it would also imo be removing one of the very few things about the running of our country Irish people can be genuinely proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Another huge issue is the fact that the money will replace not augment the current government funding of the third level sector. As such there will be no increase in quality. If someone can go to a better University abroad for the same cost (ie loan costs) as here there will be very little holding the best young minds in Ireland. Never mind a brain drain of well qualified graduates there will be a mass emigration by the potentially best qualified graduates. (ie the students who decide to leave the country because of better educational opportunities elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I blame Godwin

Have you read the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Jayo Robards

Weird. I don't remember him having the 'Von' part in his name when I was there? Maybe he's just prouder of his Nazi roots now than back in my day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I blame Godwin
    I blame God, he's responsible for most shít, why not this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Weird. I don't remember him having the 'Von' part in his name when I was there? Maybe he's just prouder of his Nazi roots now than back in my day.

Huh? The Von particle has been around for centuries - it has nothing to do with Nazism.

However, I do think it is a bit pretentious to add it to your surname - I don't know if this is the case with F Von P.

Advertisement