Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 things im looking for

• 02-08-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hi guys just wandering if anyone could help me out on a few things currently looking to design my own pad after long debate, however not sure weather to build in town or countryside there seems to be mixed regulations between building in either; could someone tell me the difference between building in either locations am i only allowed to certain thing in one location and not the other.

my design ideas are prity straight forward and no way radical, wound really like to find the simply dos and donts if you like in either area.

Secondly i was looking to undertake an evening course in block/bricklaying anyone know anywhere i could find such a course, currently in the north east and fas does not do it in my area, dont have time on sat or sun any thoughts would be brill cheers guys

con

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hi guys just wandering if anyone could help me out on a few things currently looking to design my own pad after long debate, however not sure weather to build in town or countryside there seems to be mixed regulations between building in either; could someone tell me the difference between building in either locations am i only allowed to certain thing in one location and not the other.
    You are correct there are different guidlelines to follow in terms of design depending on where you decide to build, but probably not in the way that you are thinking. There is no set guideline for building in the country. Planning guidelines are dependent on location. If you know of a site that suits, go and have a look at surrounding houses and that usually gives you an idea of what the planners want in that particular area.
    For example in Offaly this* is the PDF that they have available on their website to show some designs that the find acceptable and some they won't accept. Depending on where you intend on building, you should search the local LA website to see if they have something similar.
    my design ideas are prity straight forward and no way radical, wound really like to find the simply dos and donts if you like in either area.
    As a general rule the LA prefer simple traditional designs, with contemporary designs requiring considerable consideration and interraction between LA and architect. If you think your designs are simple and you are open to change then you should be fine. Again have a look at your counties website and see if they have something similar to what I posted above. If they don't have it online you could arrange a meeting with a local planning department representative to go through some ideas you have.
    Secondly i was looking to undertake an evening course in block/bricklaying anyone know anywhere i could find such a course, currently in the north east and fas does not do it in my area, dont have time on sat or sun any thoughts would be brill cheers guys

con
    I can't really help you on this apart from saying that no short terms course is going to give you enough competence to complete a full building. It might teach you enough build the boundary walls perhaps but for certification of compliance your engineer will require a competent blocklayer to do the main build.

I hope at least some of this helps

*PDF is 9.3mb so might be unsuitable if you are on Dial-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quazzie wrote: »
    *PDF is 9.3mb so might be suitable if you are on Dial-up

Whats dial-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mellor wrote: »
    Whats dial-up?

It's what us simple country folk, abandoned by the government upon the sale of Eircom to private hands, have to resort to, to access the outside world, on t'internet. :D

56k modems aren't quiet laughable antiques to everybody just yet unfortunately. :(

My original post shouldve read unsuitable. Apologies. I'll edit it accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh pay no heed Quazzie. I think Mellor had his tongue stuck well and truly in his cheek with that quip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

....as in dial up pizza ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

muffler wrote: »
    Oh pay no heed Quazzie. I think Mellor had his tongue stuck well and truly in his cheek with that quip :)
    You old timers with your crazy gizmos

Advertisement