Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy?What route should I take?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I have a degree in Economics and Geography.

I completed the first year of the IATI, Accounting Technician Course.

I am wondering what is the best route to do after that?

I want to study in the evenings.

Should I do a cert or masters?

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I'm not sure why you started with the technician course when you have a degree. With a 4-year degree, you can go directly into the ICAI, ACCA and CPA. If certain accounting courses were taken in college, they would give you exemptions.

If you do a masters in accounting and achieve the marks required by the the institute you wish you choose to study, you will usually gain exemptions for all exams with the exception of the professional exams. However, you will also have to complete the required work experience.

If you're currently working in accountancy, your employer will usually pay for your study and exams, so there's no out of pocket money. If not, then you could choose either to do a masters or a qualification, but if you're looking to do it part-time, I'd say do the qualification as it's recognised as a masters degree.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go the ACCA route as it allows for more flexibility. However, the ICAI has started a program now that allows you to take the exams before going into a training contract. The CPA seems to be fairly flexible as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Not 100% certain but I'm not sure whether you can do a masters in accounting if you haven't done it for your degree. For the Masters I did in DCU I had to have exemptions from CAP 1s. I think you're best option would be to do the Professional Diploma in Accounting (can do it in DCU and DIT and probably a few more). Not sure tho if you can do this in evenings. This will exempt you from CAP 1 exams in ACA and probably some of the other accounting qualifications too and would give a good idea of what further studying in the area would be like.

Advertisement