Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buyng used xboxs? Good or bad idea?

• 02-08-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Was looking into getting a used premium system from gamestop next week but just wondering if this is a bad idea, whats the story with returns/repairs if it goes tits up? Don't really want to waste my money if it breaks 2 days later!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'd trust a used condom more :P

A lot of the people trading in their old xbox's are either getting rid of their console if they think its on the brink or else trading up their LAUNCH systems for an elite. Most launch systems die!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i did before and wouldn't ever again. i brought it back the next day, kept getting disc read errors. you might be ok and get a good one but as the above poster said more than likely ppl trade them in if there on the way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Damn, figured it was a good idea to check here...thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I have a used one from gamestop and it's been great. Also, I have an extended warranty with them, so I can return it for repairs. I've had it for about 3-4 months now I believe. Bottom line is that you can get a brand new one from any shop and it can RROD the first time you turn it on. In fact, a friend of mine purchased a new one and it RROD'd within 48 hours.

I would just read through the warranty offer and purchase and extended warranty for safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

zero19 wrote: »
    Was looking into getting a used premium system from gamestop next week but just wondering if this is a bad idea, whats the story with returns/repairs if it goes tits up? Don't really want to waste my money if it breaks 2 days later!
    Take my advise! don't even buy a new one. My son bought an XBox and i thought nothing of it. Now 3 returns and repairs later (in 1 year) The best place for it is in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I used to work for gamestop- second hand consoles are ****
    They are covered by the store guarentee for 3 months and then you are on your own. So if it breaks you're screwed, microsoft won't help you cause you aren't the original owner.
    Buy a new one and you're covered for a year at store level and then 3 years against the 3 red lights by microsoft.

Trust me it's a better move in the long run and youcan get amazing deals on the consoles at the moment. Gamestops new deals aren't that great cause they push the second hand console sales.
    I'd say check out Game (where you can actually get added insurance on your console) or Xtravision that just released a load of new console deals this week that are very cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I once bought a secondhand playstation 1, I will never buy a secondhand console ever again. Dont do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Never buy a used console.

I traded in my xbox which was 4 years old, it got RROD 3 times in a month, so i went into gamestop and traded it in. Anyone who bought it would be severly pissed off in a while.

If you do buy one, test the shít out of it the night you buy it. Also leave it on for like a day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

bubblefett wrote: »
    I used to work for gamestop- second hand consoles are ****
    They are covered by the store guarentee for 3 months and then you are on your own. So if it breaks you're screwed, microsoft won't help you cause you aren't the original owner.
    Buy a new one and you're covered for a year at store level and then 3 years against the 3 red lights by microsoft.

Trust me it's a better move in the long run and youcan get amazing deals on the consoles at the moment. Gamestops new deals aren't that great cause they push the second hand console sales.
    I'd say check out Game (where you can actually get added insurance on your console) or Xtravision that just released a load of new console deals this week that are very cheap

Maybe I bought mine from Game and not Gamestop. I have a pretty good warranty on mine, 2 years I believe that allows me to drop it in for repairs or swap and it was only 20-25e for the extra warranty.

Well took the plunge and got a used 20gig system today from gamestop only because it has a 1 year warranty with gamestop, so 140quid and 30mins later it gets two red lights! (Overheated? Fan was very loud don't remember my old one being that loud and got louder) Sucked but ok you all warned me lol gonna swap it tomorrow and try again/get a refund :rolleyes: So to answer my own question, bad idea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

Never bought a used console myself, but my friend bought one from Gamestop and of course it got the red rings as soon as he turned it on. He got his money back, but still....

My advice would be to steer clear of Gamestop as much as possible. They never check their traded-in consoles or games to see if they actually work. And their trade in values are terrible. About 60 per cent of the used games that I've bought from them dont work. Xtravision are much better, but I dont think they do used consoles unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I bought a used ps3 on ebay, no problems, reformated it so its grand.

Truth be told, if it did go tits up, I would have traded it into gamestop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Well took the plunge and got a used 20gig system today from gamestop only because it has a 1 year warranty with gamestop, so 140quid and 30mins later it gets two red lights! (Overheated? Fan was very loud don't remember my old one being that loud and got louder) Sucked but ok you all warned me lol gonna swap it tomorrow and try again/get a refund :rolleyes: So to answer my own question, bad idea!!!

Haha well sometimes it's good to learn the hard way! Best of luck with it tomorrow :)

Well got my money back today no questions asked, gonna buy a new arcade system next week instead

Advertisement