Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with msn messenger

• 02-08-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with msn messenger since yesterday, it's not letting me sign in it's saying the service is temporarily unavailable, yet i have friends that can sign in no problem, i've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, setting up a new live.ie account and i'm still getting the same error message. has anyone come across this before and if you have is there anything i can do to fix it.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Whats the error number?

Have you tried restarting your router?

Ive had more errors with msn messenger of late, so don't worry your not alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mine wont even get to the log in screen adn dunno how web messenger works anymore, tehy seem to have combined it with the email account, dunno whats going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Not working for me either even though i logged in a couple of days ago.

Mine wont even get to the log in screen adn dunno how web messenger works anymore, tehy seem to have combined it with the email account, dunno whats going on!

Uninstall it
    run this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Other-Chat-Tools/ZapMessenger.shtml
    then reinstall the latest one.

That wipes all knowledge of msn messenger on your PC.No you don't lose contacts/address book.

Also have people tried deleting any reference to msn in there firewall settings?
    Sometimes you do that and then re-allow it and you away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xmaslove

thanks i'll try those and see how i get on, how do i do that thing with the firewall? just to say that the error code is 8004882e and it's saying "we cannot sign you into msn messenger"

xmaslove wrote: »
    thanks i'll try those and see how i get on, how do i do that thing with the firewall?

No worries, what anti virus software do you have? usually mcafee or norton.

i have norton and avast but i think i should only have one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

i have norton and avast but i think i should only have one?

Ditch Norton, keep Avast, and yes having 2 anti virus programs is useless, not only will it slow down your pc hugely usually but having 2 guards running conflict and so your system is less "protected"!

Nick

Yes one firewall is all you need.

On the date and time, i read that and my date and time was grand.

• Advertisement

would you believe it, but the time is wrong on my laptop, (i only got it a few weeks ago) so i'll try and fix that also

looking for the norton firewall info @ the minute, its new to me ive mcafee.

http://store.bioware.com/help/norton_firewall.html

Looks fairly simple, unless thats an old norton lol

no i'm afraid it's no good, still won't let me in damn it anyway, i tried to set up a new account with new username and password and it still didn't let me in

no i'm afraid it's no good, still won't let me in damn it anyway, i tried to set up a new account with new username and password and it still didn't let me in

Did you uninstall and reinstall the way i said?
    Also it should come up with an error code as to why you cant log in.

yes i uninstalled it and ran that thing messengerzap and it said that all traces of messenger had been removed and then i reinstalled it, but still won't let me in, the error code is 80040154

yes i uninstalled it and ran that thing messengerzap and it said that all traces of messenger had been removed and then i reinstalled it, but still won't let me in, the error code is 80040154

- Click on the Start menu, select Run and type the following:
    Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll

Hopefully, you will see a window popup that says: DllRegisterServer succeeded in C:\Windows\System32\msxml3.dll is succeeded.

Step 2. Restart your computer and sign into Messenger again

yes i did that, and i got the pop up message and shut down and restarted and still no good it says "signing into windows has failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80040154 :mad:

yes i did that, and i got the pop up message and shut down and restarted and still no good it says "signing into windows has failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80040154 :mad:

It says if it fails, down this-extract it-and run

http://download.microsoft.com//download/0/F/4/0F4D43A7-8D47-4312-BC35-EC1F888AC156/en/Contacts-ship-neutral.cab

ok i extracted the contacts to my documents, so do i run messenger again now

ok i extracted the contacts to my documents, so do i run messenger again now

did u run the contents?

• Advertisement

when i click on the contacts icon, i get a box saying "select a destination" it says "select a place where you want to extract the items, then click the extract button" and the places available are desktop with sub folders underneath my documents, my computer, my network places and old laptop. I don't see anything about run

extract to desktop
    then youll see another file, like a small pc monitor
    double click on that(its the same as installing a program)

yes i did that and i got a file download warning "a publisher could not be verified" and i clicked save anyway and it was just like if the task was completed

was there a option to run or just the save option?

no just the option to extract that was it

and then when you double clicked on the extracted file did i have a run option?

no run option at all

and i assume still no working msn?

no still the same, no msn, a friend of mine used that team viewer appliction where he could screen share with me and he was able to sign in with his own id and everything so i think the problem is with my profile or something but i don't know how to resolve it

• Advertisement

no still the same, no msn, a friend of mine used that team viewer appliction where he could screen share with me and he was able to sign in with his own id and everything so i think the problem is with my profile or something but i don't know how to resolve it

Ah right so try changing your password

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-155-how-to-change-or-recover-your-windows-live-messenger-password#1-changing-your-password-windows-live-messenger

well i'll try that but i thought when i created a new username and password that it would let me in but it wouldn't

If your friend signed in with their id but you said you couldn't with a new one then im outta ideas.
    Try changing your password and after that im lost for ideas.

no still no good, i changed my password and still can't sign in, i can sign into msn but just not messenger, i tried to sign into web messenger and it said that web messenger wasn't available at this time, so i dunno, i can't understand it, if i uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it, why the problem is persisting.

Advertisement