Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flushable cat litter

Options
  • 02-08-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm going to look for some of flushable cat litter but what are the brand names I can look for?

I'm getting the flushable kind because with her three legs she's getting confused and trying to bury it with her missing paw and then moves position to bury it with her other paw and ends up stepping in her morning poo. I'm having to clean it out every time she gos and I'm in an apartment the bin is too far to be going back and forth 2-3 times a day. Her poo is too runny and it stinks at the moment to put into the kitchen bin.

So what brands won't clog up the drains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I could be wrong but I don't think there's a truly flushable cat litter, some you might be able to flush in small amounts at a time but long term could clog up the pipes.

One option could be if you use those scented nappy bags (tescos brand is cheap) and double bag the cat poop and have a small wee plastic bin with a good lid on it and lins with a plastic bag in the bathroom or somewhere where you can pop the bags into. Popping one of those bin freshners onto the lid of it then as well or throw some bicarb of soda into it now and then that should keep the smell down big time and you would only need to empty it every couple of days. Not very enviro. friendly but perhaps there's such thing as biodegradable scented nappy bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Oko Cat's Best and most other wood based ones are ok.

Oko definitely is, says so on the packet and i do it here with our insanely low water pressure and it's caused no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

I use beauticat wood pellets and thats fine to flush.
    And alot of it gets flushed from day to day as I have 2 lil kittens atm.

The only place I know that you can def get it is in sullys pet shop in cork city. Its 18 euro for a 30 litre bag. Lasts bout 2 months so far still on the first.
    Not sure where you'd get it other than that tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

World's Best cat litter is totally flushable & septic tank friendly. You can get it in any good pet store.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's pretty cool didn't know there was a proper flushable one.
    All else fails do what your man on meet the parents did and teach the cat to use the loo lol.
    Our previous cat Sandy used to use the shower tray if she got caught short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

That's pretty cool didn't know there was a proper flushable one.
    All else fails do what your man on meet the parents did and teach the cat to use the loo lol.
    Our previous cat Sandy used to use the shower tray if she got caught short.

I did see a thing to teach them to do that on amazon but getting a cat with 3 legs to do it might be tricky. It's suppose to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That World's best looks pretty good. Perhaps not suitable for new kittens as they tend to eat litter before they cop on that it's the toilet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Magnus wrote: »
    That World's best looks pretty good. Perhaps not suitable for new kittens as they tend to eat litter before they cop on that it's the toilet...

Well no need to worry about that she's not a kitten, she's a cat I got from the shelter and she's already litter trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

i wonder when you say her poo is runny... is there a diet issue?

i am not a cat dietitian... but just to check... is she eating dairy? too much dry food?

this could be something maybe.

also she could be getting into food you don't notice. one of kitties got sick last week after eating some buttery leftover potatoes. i saw him vomit them up the next morning...

obviously we didn't do the dishes before we went to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Magnus wrote: »

We use this and it's really great, no smell and easy to clean... doesn't get stuck on the scooper! I read somewhere that as it's 100% natural it doesn't matter too much if your kitty eats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Lollymcd wrote: »
    We use this and it's really great, no smell and easy to clean... doesn't get stuck on the scooper! I read somewhere that as it's 100% natural it doesn't matter too much if your kitty eats it.

Yeah this stuff is brilliant! It's made from corn apparently! - well that's what it says on the bag anyway. A bag of it lasts for ages cos you're only flushing the lumps ....

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Yes it's made from corn, I just remembered! When it gets wet with cat pee it kind of resembles corn on the cob!!! Weird, but a good product. One small bag lasts for two and a half weeks with two cats using the one tray.

Advertisement