Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear stain remover?

Options
  • 02-08-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I know there's a commercial wipe you can get for tear stains but anyone have any tips on a more natural method. Plain water cleans it up a bit but doesn't really work well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, a breeder I was talking to told me Optrex?(not sure of spelling) eye wash on cotton pads was what she used.
    Haven't had to use it myself for either dog as no stains, but also told me if it was more than few spots or needed cleaning more than once a week, go to vet as they some breeds get yeast infections and other problems that make red or brown stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The tear stains are on and off and the eyes are bold and bright so no infections but yeh very wary about putting anything into or near the eyes.
    We've a bird with a dodgy eye and it's so sensative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I understand being wary about eyes, but optrex is for people's eyes so I'd imagine to wash around eyes should be fine.
    She told me some people use cornflower and peroxide:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We got a bottle called Diamond Eyes (for our Bichon), made especially for dogs and cats. You just put it on some cotton wool and rub under the eyes, doesnt irritate at all. I also use some fragrance free baby wipes and those work well too.
    Groomer told me about a tablet called "Angel Eyes" its a food supplement you can give to stop tear-staining but when I read up about it, seems there is antibiotics in it... Not keen on giving the dog antibiotics for a cosmetic problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rogan

There are many sites on the internet with helpful information - here's one http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ask-Veterinarian-700/Puppy-eyes.htm

My dog has these too - but I am just beginning to work on the tear stains - I believe that dogfood which contains fillers such as Beet pulp aggravate the problem - so I have changed mine from Royal Canin to Burns (no fillers) The other thing that is recommended is to give your dog filtered or distilled water. I have only changed in the past two weeks so hopefully will see an improvement soon!

I have also started using Sherleys eye lotion to clear away the stains - and clean the area as tear stains can lead to yeast infection. I have also heard that a small smear of vaseline under the eyes helps after the area has been fully cleaned.

However the main thing is to ask the vet what is causing them - On my next visit I will ask why the dogs eyes are tearing - it may be due to blocked ducts or allergies - but I will be going in having already tried the food change, the water change and the cleaning.

Hope some of the above might be of help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement