Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow ADSL speeds after installing new telephone point

Options
  • 02-08-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Since installing a new telephone point in my home office my internet connection speed has been reduced significantly from 7.6 mb to ~ 512 kb. My ISP is Esat BT and I am on the 8 meg package.

I had my ADSL2 wireless router (Draytek 2820Vn) downstairs in my house connected to the master telephone socket. I wanted to move it upstairs because the wifi signal was weak and prone to dropping for most of the computers here.

I had an electrician install a new junction box and telephone socket, both within close proximity to one another.

I have a splitter installed on this new phone socket and a microfilter installed on the master socket downstairs. An unused socket in the bedroom does not have a microfilter or splitter installed.

Just for reference, here are some stats that may help:

Loop Att: 69
    SNR Margin: 6
    ADSL mode: G.DMT
    Up speed: 448000
    Down speed: 544000

Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

Can installing a new junction box have such a bad affect on your connection speeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Ok,

After all that, it turns out the modem was plugged into the phone socket on the splitter which must have increased the line noise level significantly. I rebooted the router once this was corrected and the speeds seem to be at the normal level ~7.6mb.

Anyone with these problems should check connections first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TBH it was a miracle you managed to get any kind of ADSL synch at all with the modem plugged into the phone side of the splitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

69dB attenuation.
    The standard DSL limit is 68 , ADSL2 is higher maybe 85dB

The normal attenuation must be fairly low.

I used to test radio repeaters by replacing aerial with a dummy load and seeing what range 10mW handheld had to still activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

G.992.1, plain jane ADSL attenuation measurements range from 0 - 63.5 dB. (from kitz.co.uk)

G.992.3 and G992.5 (which is BT LLU, Smart etc) don't have the attenuation measurement limitation, hence the valuation over 63.5.

I'd like to see how ADSL2, especially Annex L, would perform in the wild in Ireland.

Forgot to mention, I've seen lines working with filters the wrong way around, and still work normally! It was back in the days of 512 kbps, where you could "surf the summer for free"... And it was within the canal cordon in Dublin, so line distance wasn't a big problem.

I think the standard microfilter in Ireland, those Exelsius yokes, only attenuate DSL on the phone port by >30dB minimum. Not terrible for cheap small things like that, but not brilliant.

Advertisement